Author Topic: Win98SE  (Read 43287 times)

joeloucyn

Re: Win98SE
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:37 AM »
I guess so - if only I knew which version was muggles using, exactly. :)
(sorry if this has already been posted somewhere - right now, I don't see it anywhere).

And also, I think he's using ZA Pro (although I have no idea if that makes any difference).

Thanks
Vlk

Here is a direct link to ZA Pro 4.5.594
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1026_trial/zapSetup_45_594_000.exe

You can use it in trial mode!

muggles

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »
I guess so - if only I knew which version was muggles using, exactly. :)
(sorry if this has already been posted somewhere - right now, I don't see it anywhere).

And also, I think he's using ZA Pro (although I have no idea if that makes any difference).

Thanks

Vlk

Here is a direct link to ZA Pro 4.5.594
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1026_trial/zapSetup_45_594_000.exe

You can use it in trial mode!

The version I am using is 2.6.357 - this is a very stable version with all the security and tweaks done on this machine. Do not visit any bad sites and definitely do not download spam as it is now deleted off the mail servers, do not copy CDs from others, prefering full and legal copies, so do not have problems with spyware, viruses or trojans and such.

If there is a way to help I am willing to try whatever!

Muggles!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »
You two have a look here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22980.0

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Rick F

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:11 PM »
You two have a look here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22980.0

polonus

Your post is for the Zone Alarm free users - which is different.  As Bob stated after your post, Firewalls don't really need to be upgraded like AV products. Once you block ports, they're blocked. There are some improvements in upgrades of FW's such as added features like blocking pop ups, etc.

And 'polonus', there are more than just "two" here having trouble. I count 5 folks in this thread who are either having trouble - or concerned about this latest update.

Thanks.

joeloucyn

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2006, 06:23:10 PM »
For reference, you can download older versions of Zone Alarm PRO 
(as low as 4.5.594.000 only) from Zone Labs here:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:16:04 PM by Joeloucyn »

Rick F

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2006, 06:21:33 AM »
UPDATE... Update...

When I noticed that Muggles was running an older version of ZAP (ver. 2.6.357) than I am (4.5.554), I got brave and tried updating to avast 4.7.871.  I shut down my copy of ZAP and closed all other operating programs -- as I always do when updating or installing new software. Then manually updated avast.  Avast 4.7.871 is running fine on my Win98 SE machine. I rebooted the PC as instructed, and avast icon is on the tray as is the ZAP icon. This version of avast did not break my internet connection (DSL) . As expected, I did have to tell my ZAP firewall to allow avast to access the internet.  I have the same 3 modules of avast running as I had before the update to .871.... 'Internet Mail'; 'Standard Shield' and 'Web Shield'.  I don't use P2P, IM or Outlook, so those three are grayed out.

Muggles, maybe you could upgrade your ZAP to the same version I'm using.... 4.5.554.  There's a link posted above if your interested.  Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

muggles

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2006, 11:26:50 PM »
UPDATE... Update...

When I noticed that Muggles was running an older version of ZAP (ver. 2.6.357) than I am (4.5.554), I got brave and tried updating to avast 4.7.871.  I shut down my copy of ZAP and closed all other operating programs -- as I always do when updating or installing new software. Then manually updated avast.  Avast 4.7.871 is running fine on my Win98 SE machine. I rebooted the PC as instructed, and avast icon is on the tray as is the ZAP icon. This version of avast did not break my internet connection (DSL) . As expected, I did have to tell my ZAP firewall to allow avast to access the internet.  I have the same 3 modules of avast running as I had before the update to .871.... 'Internet Mail'; 'Standard Shield' and 'Web Shield'.  I don't use P2P, IM or Outlook, so those three are grayed out.

Muggles, maybe you could upgrade your ZAP to the same version I'm using.... 4.5.554.  There's a link posted above if your interested.  Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

I finally decided to dump Win98SE, although I have kept an image of it just in case, stepped up to XP. There are just too many programs now that do not support 98SE!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2006, 11:54:57 PM »
Rick, this is what I wanted to say; we have tried to simulate the problem - but unsuccessfully.

We used avast 4.7.871 + ZAP 4.5.554, and didn't experience any problems at all...

Strange indeed!
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Rick F

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2006, 01:51:50 AM »
Thanks Vlk. I appreciate your attention.

Muggles, good luck with your new OS.  I'm looking to upgrade to a new PC fairly soon. My present PC is almost 8 yrs old and on the same CMOS battery.  :o  Both of my sons (engineers) say I need to get XP-Pro and not XP-Home because of its better security.

Part of me is excited about a new box, but the 60 year-old part of me is not looking forward to all the new installation of software and file transfers.  ::)

Thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2006, 02:02:22 AM »
Quote from: Rick F
Both of my sons (engineers) say I need to get XP-Pro and not  XP-Home because of its better security.
Not only that but it has a longer supported life cycle than the Home version. XP Home will have just about 18 months to 2 years support after the release of windows vista. Where the pro version is classed as a business/professional OS and is supported for longer.

XP will take a little getting used to after win98, learning where things are, often far removed from win98 practices. But once you get used to it it is much better than win98.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rick F

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2006, 02:11:34 AM »
Quote from: DavidR
XP will take a little getting used to after win98, learning where things are, often far removed from win98 practices. But once you get used to it it is much better than win98.

Thanks David. I won't need the networking part of Pro too much, but the added security AND - as you reminded me - the product support from M$.

What about XP Media Center? Is that just XP Home with lots of bells & wistles... or is it closer to XP Pro?

Thanks. Sorry, this is really off topic.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security