Author Topic: Win98SE  (Read 43143 times)

RF

Re: Win98SE
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:25 AM »
I think the original poster is on to something and shouldn't be dismissed. See my post about 13 threads up.

Note: I don't do automatic updates, only manual ones, so I didn't have his original problem, but I use WIN98SE and something isn't working right.

joeloucyn

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 06:39:39 AM »
I think the original poster is on to something and shouldn't be dismissed.

I do not see anywhere that suggests the problem has been dismissed!
The problem is being thought over by other users of Win98se!
It could be the version of Win98se or possibly a conflict with some driver on the original poster's computer.
I have none of the problems posted but have seen conflicts with drivers and Microsoft updates in the past.
Unfortunately this seems to be a unique problem, more info is needed.

Gil

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »
I am presently running WIN98SE with 4.7.871 and have noticed any problems.  I saw forther back that someone had suggested shutting Web Shield off.  What are the advantages and how would I do this?  Thanks for any help.

jm1515

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »
I DL'ed .871 2 days ago and my Win98SE system is running fine. I have an old Gateway running a 200mhz Pentium w/ 256meg memory.
The only Avast related oddity is that WebShield  'is not responding' according to the limited task manager in 98. I know it's working because I can see the pages it scans in the Avast Program manager.
Everything else seems to be running fine....

magma

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »
I too am a Win 98se user, and am a little concerned with this thread.

Has anyone out there managed to install 4.7.871 on a Win 98se system, without any problems??

I am currently running 4.7.844, and am inclined to stay on this version until I am happy that upgrading is not going to cause me any problems.

Has anyone in the Avast support team tested the latest version on Win 98se??

I have problems also - I have been using avast for a while now with no problems until I updated to v 4.7.871 yesterday (10 Aug 2006).

3 Problems I have are:
1. At every start-up I get a pop-up which says:
>> Standard Shield detected suspicious operation : write file : avast/setup/setiface.dll : yes // no //  ignore <<
2. I cannot change any of the settings in "settings"
3. The user interfaces hang on the screne for some minutes after attempting to close them, either before or after scanning.

Running on a laptop / win 98se / 192mb ram
No problem with the last version
I have tried re-installing
No other anti-virus software running or ever been on this m/c

Magma
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 01:35:03 PM by magma »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
1. At every start-up I get a pop-up which says:
>> Standard Shield detected suspicious operation : write file : avast/setup/setiface.dll : yes // no //  ignore <<
You've changed the Behavior Blocker. As you seem cannot change back to the default values, you can, uninstall avast and install again.

2. I cannot change any of the settings in "settings"
Why? What's the error message?

3. The user interfaces hang on the screne for some minutes after attempting to close them, either before or after scanning.
How many seconds does this freeze take?
Did you have any other antivirus in the past?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »
I too am a Win 98se user, and am a little concerned with this thread.

Has anyone out there managed to install 4.7.871 on a Win 98se system, without any problems??

I am currently running 4.7.844, and am inclined to stay on this version until I am happy that upgrading is not going to cause me any problems.

Has anyone in the Avast support team tested the latest version on Win 98se??
I have problems also - I have been using avast for a while now with no problems until I updated to v 4.7.871 yesterday (10 Aug 2006).

<snip>
Running on a laptop / win 98se / 192mb ram
No problem with the last version
I have tried re-installing
Magma

I don't see how this suddenly becomes a problem with the update to 4.7.871, if you check the avast change log (Program revision history) http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html you will see that this update is a fix for winNT/win2k so shouldn't have had any effect on other users.

It is more likely that it was the update from 4.7.844 to 4.7.869 that may (yet to be confirmed) have caused this problem for some win98 users. There are still I would imagine an awful lot of win98, avast users still out there and if this were as widespread or across the board there would be many more effected than are being seen. The problem is to try and find any common factor, that in conjunction with avast (other than win98) that might cause this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stevejm29

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »
I'm another with the internet not working after  updating to a newer version.  I also am running Win98SE.   After the update my broadband Internet stopped working.   I still could see my other computers and access them on my local network but not the internet.   My other computers could still acess the Internet.    After going back to 4.7.844 my Internet started working on my Win98SE box.

I work with computers and networking for a living so pretty sure it  is not a network problem on my end. 

Steve

Rick F

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 08:10:28 PM »
I'm another with the internet not working after  updating to a newer version.  I also am running Win98SE.   After the update my broadband Internet stopped working.   I still could see my other computers and access them on my local network but not the internet.   My other computers could still acess the Internet.    After going back to 4.7.844 my Internet started working on my Win98SE box.

I work with computers and networking for a living so pretty sure it  is not a network problem on my end. 

Steve
Not sure what the problem is but there must be something that the new version changes (probably a chg in .869) that breaks the internet connection.  Do you also use Zone Alarm as a firewall?

stevejm29

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »
Not sure what the problem is but there must be something that the new version changes (probably a chg in .869) that breaks the internet connection.  Do you also use Zone Alarm as a firewall?

Yes.  I deleted all Avast enteries in ZA and had it ask ZA again for access to internet.  I gave full access in ZA and let it update.    After the updates the internet broke.    I even closed down ZA and it still wouldn't work.   So I plan to stay with 4.7.844 until the problem is fixed.   

Steve

Rick F

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »
Yes.  I deleted all Avast enteries in ZA and had it ask ZA again for access to internet.  I gave full access in ZA and let it update.    After the updates the internet broke.    I even closed down ZA and it still wouldn't work.   So I plan to stay with 4.7.844 until the problem is fixed.   

Steve

That's the smart thing to do until they find out what's wrong with the latest (or actually .869 update) that affects Win98 users with ZoneAlarm.  There's no way I'm giving up ZAP.

AWIL team?  Anyone there reading this thread?

muggles

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »

Steve

That's the smart thing to do until they find out what's wrong with the latest (or actually .869 update) that affects Win98 users with ZoneAlarm.  There's no way I'm giving up ZAP.

AWIL team?  Anyone there reading this thread?

Wondering what has happened regarding Win98SE? Anyone know what is going on or if anything is being done by Avast regarding the problems?

joeloucyn

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 06:04:30 PM »
Well muggles,
As you can see that this is NOT a Win98SE problem but just another ZoneAlarm problem!
ZoneAlarm fixed this problem on their new update.
Why don't you just update your ZoneAlarm firewall?

Rick F

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 05:12:21 AM »
Quote from: Joeloucyn
As you can see that this is NOT a Win98SE problem but just another ZoneAlarm problem!

But both Muggles and Steve said they tried the newer update with ZAP turned off?

Quote from: Muggles
I did the install with ZA off, so as to give the Avast orogram full access. All versions over 4.7.844 woudol not connect to thte internet, would not show the icon in the taskbar unless all services were off, woudl cause shutdown problems in Win98SE, had to do forced hard reboots.

Back to version 4.7.844 as it is stable and works as it should.
Quote from: Steve
I even closed down ZA and it still wouldn't work.   So I plan to stay with 4.7.844 until the problem is fixed. 

I wish someone from the Alwil team would post here.

joeloucyn

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 05:32:41 AM »
It would be better to uninstall ZoneAlarm reboot then update Avast then reinstall ZoneAlarm at the newest version because even when "turned off" the ZA drivers are loaded!
ZoneAlarm discontinued support for Windows 98 but you can still download older versions here:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=39953

just be certain to use version 6.1.744.001