Author Topic: Performance issues scan  (Read 2617 times)

Offline pjw67

Performance issues scan
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
Hi, this is my first time on this board. I'm using Windows 10 with the latest version of Avast free anti virus. Browser threats, outdated apps and viruses and malware all scanned fine. The performance issues scan does not load, however long I wait. I've rebooted and refreshed the browser but it just sticks on loading. I'm no expert and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Performance issues scan
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »
Do Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.

If Repair doesn't fix the problem, try the following:
If your Avast settings are not the default settings and you want them restored after the Clean Install, follow this before removing Avast.
https://goo.gl/TXjM7h
Clean Install of Avast:
https://goo.gl/4Ptzkf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:47:23 PM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline pjw67

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
Thanks. Repairing the app didn't work. I can't find back up settings or the components list. Would I be ok to unistall then reinstall? I've been using this AV for three years and this is the first problem I've had.
Regards.

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
Uninstalling and reinstalling may work - but the following might be worth a try.

I believe I have seen this problem before and it was caused by the "Cleanup" component.
A recent update added Cleanup back into my installation - even though I had excluded it previously.

It is only a stub in the Free version - you have to get the paid version to resolve any results.
I choose not to install this component on the Free version as it is essentially just an advert.
I would recommend checking the installed Components and removing "Cleanup" if it is present.

To do this go to: Menu => Settings => Troubleshooting  (also where you can find "Backup Settings")
Then click on the button near the bottom titled "ADD / MODIFY COMPONENTS"
This will display the Avast Setup screen (as displayed during a Custom install)

The Setup screen shows you which modules (components) are currently installed
Un-tick any components you do not use - especially the "Cleanup" component if present.
The basic essential items that I choose to run with are shown in the screen shot
Click the Change button when done to process the alterations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:46:10 PM by DougCuk »

Offline pjw67

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »
I set up my components the same as yours and now there are just "browser threats" and "viruses and malware". The performance issues scan option is no longer there.
In your opinion is this ok? None of this affects my VPN?
Thanks for the help.

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
Assuming you were not using any of the components that you un-ticked then you are fine.
I posted the screen shot as an example of what I choose to run - it suits my situation and is what I recommend to my computer support customers. Others may want to run some of the extras - such as Passwords, Software Updater - it is a personal choice. 

Offline pjw67

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
The software updater was the only other one and it's easy enough to get it back. As you said, the performance issues is only part of the paid version anyway. In previous versions I seem to remember that whenever it asked if I wanted performance issues resolved, it always took me to the paid subscription section.
I will see how it goes, but at least I have better understanding of the program.
Thanks again for the help,
All the best.