Author Topic: Free Avast for Home Users  (Read 3187 times)

bubbles1057

Free Avast for Home Users
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »
Hi All,  :D

I am new to this and have a few questions.

How do I know if my settings are correct?   I want full protection from viruses and I want it so that computer is always checking for viruses when computer is on and idle.

How do I check for updates and how do I do scans?   This is a little confusing to me.   
I had Norton Anti-Virus before and it seems easier.    Thanks!

Capie

Re: Free Avast for Home Users
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »
Bubbles,

The Free AVAST version cannot scan your PC unattended on a scheduled basis. You can do it manually though! It scan your system upon installation and each and every file entering and leaving your system thereafter ...

I had Norton too ... Slowed down my system and after using this ... Safe enough for me ... 

;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:23:34 AM »
How do I check for updates and how do I do scans?
Go to the Program Settings (right click the 'a' blue icon) and choose the two Update tabs of settings. Check for automatic updates  ;)
To scan, just choose the area (folder, all disk...) on the skin, check or not for archive scanning and click the 'play' buttom.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:30:02 AM »
Like any move to a new program there is a steep learning curve from what you are used to (it's just different), browsing the avast help file will help, as will the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.

The default settings provide a balance between performance and protection, so you should be OK with that whilst you learn a little more about avast. avast has a number of resident (always on) on-access scanners these scan all newly created and modified files and executables prior to execution, so you should be well covered.

Updates are automatic and incremental so the download size is relatively small and quick, right click the avast icon, Program Settings, Update (Basic).

Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, here you can do on-demand scans, because of the various resident scanners this isn't critical. I do a weekly On-Demand, Standard scan (without archives) of the Local disks (all hard drives).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security