Author Topic: Mozilla Stuff Not Working Win98SE  (Read 2385 times)

wallyweb

Mozilla Stuff Not Working Win98SE
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:43:55 AM »
Windows98 SE - fully patched
Zone Alarm fire wall
Alwil Avast 4 Home Edition
Cable Modem

Earlier today my Avast installation announced that a program update was available. They have always been good and they have always worked so I said ok and turned it loose.
The install appeared to go just fine and when done I went back to check some email and do some surfing ... almost.
Thunderbird hung. I could see it in the ctrl-alt-del program window but nothing was happening, so I ended the program. Next I decided to open Firefox and check these forums. Same thing! Then things blue screened and my system locked up.
So I figured ok ... must have been a bad install ... so I uninstalled Avast ... cleaned it right out of my system ... registry entries and all. Now Firefox and Thunderbird worked. I downloaded Avast4 from the web site and reinstalled.
The same thing all over again. I checked my other browsers ... Opera 9 worked fine, Internet Explorer 6 worked fine, Netscape 7 died, Mozilla 1.7.7 died.
So then I did a selective startup via ms-config, disabling Avast and here I am.

The latest release of Avast 4 seems to have taken a definite dislike to Mozilla based programs. The blue screens would seem to indicate a conflict somewhere.

I'm a fairly careful surfer and I don't open unexpected email so I'll be safe for a few days before moving on to another anti virus provider. I really like Avast and hopefully this issue will be resolved fairly soon  I noticed other posts having similar issues with this release. I'll watch this thread and forum for any announcements.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:48:21 PM by wallyweb »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Mozilla Stuff Not Working
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »
Did you previously configure your browser to use avast! Web Shield proxy? If yes, did you configure all of them?
If you use avast! Web Shield proxy, try to re-create the Zone Alarm rule to allow ashWebSv.exe connect to the Internet.

wallyweb

Re: Mozilla Stuff Not Working
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:40:47 PM »
Did you previously configure your browser to use avast! Web Shield proxy? If yes, did you configure all of them?
This was not an issue before. Vpn and program upgrades always worked and the Mozilla based browsers continued working ... until this latest Avast4 Home release.

If you use avast! Web Shield proxy, try to re-create the Zone Alarm rule to allow ashWebSv.exe connect to the Internet.
My Zone Alarm is set to ask me about any new attempt to connect to the internet. I always tell it to permanently accept anything re Avast.

I am curious as to what the difs were between the previous Avast updates and this most recent one that would provoke these issues.