Author Topic: CAN I REMOVE VIRUS IN PARTISIONED DRIVE ?  (Read 2669 times)

edcopacific

CAN I REMOVE VIRUS IN PARTISIONED DRIVE ?
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
THIS IS MY FIRST POST, SO I HOPE I DON'T MESS IT UP.
I HAVE A VIRUS IN THE CHEST NAMED .. WIN32:sDbOT-3324 (Base_21.imp)
and every time i run the scan it keeps showing up. I have scaned it in the the chest , and it is real.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT , IT IS IN THE "d" DRIVE AND THAT IS A PARTISION ON THE "C" DRIVE. AND IT HOLDS THE RECOVERY FILES FOR THE ORIGINAL FILES INCL. WIN XP ETC.
COULD I PERHAPS REMOVE "DELETE" THAT PARTISION, AS I HACE MADE THE CD DISKS PER THE CO. RECOMMENDATIONS. BUT , IT IS PROBELY ON THE DISKS AS WELL ??
ALSO , IF I REMOVED IT TO THE CHEST , WHY DOES IT KEEP SHOWING UP ??

I HAVE AN HP-PENT.4  RUNNING XP MEDIA CENTER.

IS THERE AN ANSWER? I AM COMPLETELY LOST HERE.

HELP PLEASE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CAN I REMOVE VIRUS IN PARTISIONED DRIVE ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:08:26 PM »
The CAPS Lock key is on the left ;D

Are you talking about C:\System Volume Information, part of the system restore function (which is protected storage) or D:\System Volume Information ?
What was the location and infected file name where was it found example (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?
You should be able to find this information in the avast Log Viewer under the Warning section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

edcopacific

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:18:43 PM »
 :-\

sorry about the caps.

in the chest it has the following:

base_21.inp    d:\preload   15/02//2006 .. 07/08/2006 ..win32:sdbot-33

that is every thing in the chest

Thank you for the reply

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:26:34 AM »
If it has been moved to the chest, how come the Title is can I remove virus in a partitioned drive. The fact that it is in the chest means yes you can deal with viruses on different partitions or even hard disks on the same system.

The act of moving it to the chest means it can't do any harm from there and it should no longer be in the original location d:\preload\base_21.inp.

I'm somewhat confused by the name and purpose of this folder though, it sounds a little strange, is it a function in XP Media Center or do you know what created it ?

The D:\ partition is on your primary hard disk it isn't a partition in the C:\ drive C:\ is also a partition on the primary hard disk. See the image, an example of two hard disks, both with two partitions. I don't think you want to go deleting partitions it could have a serious impact,  and until you check the CDs, you can put it in the CD Drive and do a scan of removable media.

If it keeps coming back, something is bringing it back. If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode Ewido anti-spyware. Also for this to happen it would have to be downloaded again and this requires connection to the internet, which a good firewall should prevent. XP's firewall isn't up to the job as it provides no outbound protection.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security