Author Topic: Left overs on screen (I don't know what else to call it)  (Read 15390 times)

calicobox

Left overs on screen (I don't know what else to call it)
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:32:12 AM »
I am still getting this:

I have notice something though.

I was going through the options when I right click the icon.

When I clicked avast log viewer, the windows went transparent.

They finally came back normal but now I have a Start Avast! Antivirus
blue rectangle on my desktop that stays on top of everything.
It's in the same exact area of my desktop as if I clicked on the icon and in the list.  I hope that made sense.

It did this earlier too.  When I reboot it goes away.

It's very annoying.  I hope you can find out what is causing it.

I did use a cleaner and removed all the old McAfee leftovers.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Left overs on screen (I don't know what else to call it)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 07:56:15 AM »
Check through this thread ... is this the same issue you are experiencing?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22612.0

Are you running as a limited user?

calicobox

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:43:05 AM »
Yes same problem.

I posted in another thread with a picture of it jere.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22669.0

It only happens when I try to use avast pop up window with the selections.

I did untick the skin thing that was suggested in another thread.

I did remove all the leftover mcafee files and reinstalled avast and it still happens.

I have winxp home, firefox browser, Kerio firewall, verizon dsl.  All my windows updates are current.

I wanted to purchase the Pro version but I am holding off until this is figured out
and I am happy with avast. 

Thanks for your help.

Here's another post with the same problem.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22317.0
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:46:03 AM by calicobox »

satine

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm getting this too. I posted earlier assuming it was a compatibility issue with my firewall, but I'm beginning to wonder.

It looks like this is getting to be a pretty widespread problem. I really don't understand this at all...someone told me the Kerio HIPS driver causes the problem (although I'm not really sure what that means  ::)) but in a lot of cases it seems like the only common theme is Avast 4.7.

Gah.

calicobox

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:27:17 AM »
The catalyst manager is known to give problems. I suggest you remove/disable it and see if it makes a difference.

What is this?

I don't want to sound dumb but I don't know. It's from the other post about the same type issue.

Thanks

calicobox

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 08:52:55 AM »
I ran a scan tonight and darn if that left over graphic is on the screen again.

When I ran my mouse over the round A icon and the window opened as a transparent image then the on-access protection control link in a blue bar was left on the screen.  I guess I will have to reboot. 

I sure hope someone figures out whats going on.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 10:15:42 AM »
Can you tell what kind of video card you have on your system?

anbu

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »
it is definintely a kerio problem.the recent update to kerio personal  firewall brought this problem. as a workaround try to uninstall kerio firewall and see this problem still
exists.for me i too faced this problem in the past.after uinstalling kerio  problem is gone.

djdsk8

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:00:43 PM »
I would just like to mention that I have seen this - one of my client machines also has the problem with the lingering boxes.  It's an IBM laptop with Win XP sp2 (all updates as of 8/9/06) and Office 2003, almost nothing else loaded besides AVAST and a few "rate quoting software programs"(I also have these on every other client machine I have with no problems).  Also the chipset and on-board video are Intel I believe (extream graphics 2)

It did previously have Norton installed which I uninstalled pretty thourally

Restarting temporarily gets rid of the boxes.  Never seen this before, seems like no one else in the forums has figured it out yet - if you have please post back

Also I don't have Kerio, I cleaned the computer, and no ATI drivers or software

Thanks!  :D

** I just wanted to post this to let everyone know that it's not an isolated issue, it does seem to be affecting quite a few people that seem to only have the common link of avast.  I love avast, this just seems like a minor annoying bug.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:18:16 PM by djdsk8 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:12 AM »
calicobox,

if you go to avast Program settings > Appearance

do you have the Tanslucent effects box checked?  If you do and you uncheck it then does that affect the "ghost boxes" you are seeing. 

(This is posted in response to the image you posted in another thread ... but I did not want to "hijack" that thread with this issue.

calicobox

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 02:37:42 AM »
Hi

No it's not checked. 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 10:45:54 PM »
Guys, there are 2 possible reasons for this behavior I can think of:
1. A bug in display adapter drivers
2. A bug in Windows
I seriously doubt about the second possibility and bet on the first one.

There's no way avast! can cause this: you can kill all avast! processes (in which case, all its "windows" should disappear and the operating system should draw other stuff over them) and the leftovers will still be there - until you restart your computer or somehow reset the display (e.g. change your display resolution forth and back). So, it can't really be an avast! bug, because avast! couldn't do it even intentionally.

So, I suggest to update or change the display drivers... maybe change some options in the current display drivers settings... or just wait for future updates (of the drivers). Don't have any better suggestion, sorry.

calicobox

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 12:14:25 AM »
1. A bug in display adapter drivers

I am not sure what this means because I don't know about these things.  :)

I googled the info and ms had some info on how to find what display adapter driver I am using.

Now, when I do a ms update, it does tell me there is an update for my
Nvidia Ge Force driver.  It's been available for a long time.  I never updated it because I didn't feel I have had any problems.
years ago when my win98 was new, right out of the box (my first computer) I was having some issues with the sound.  The tec from where I purchased the computer was trouble shooting and said, hey that sound driver (?) is outdated technology.  You need to update to xxxxx.  So I did as he said.  The new driver totally screwed my sound.  I called back and got another tec and he said, why did he tell you to change that driver?  The one you had is an oldie but goodie, leave well enough alone and he helped me change it back to the original driver.

So this has made me chicken  to mess with drivers.  :-\

Can you tell what kind of video card you have on your system?

Is this the Nvidia GeForce 2MX (compac consumer) ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 01:08:49 PM »
Well, you are right that driver update is somehow risky operation... theoretically, it shouldn't cause any troubles, but in practice, it sometimes does.
Unfortunatelly, that's my best advice...

gothicbarbie

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
I have the same problem too.  I have updated my graphics card driver and still get the "leftovers".  It only just started recently, I never had it before, but I don´t know what could have triggered it.  After reading all of your posts here, I don´t think it´s the Kerio Firewall (which I am running) cause some of you don´t even have that firewall. 

It´s really annoying and I hope someone at the Avast Team can figure something out soon, whether the cause could be Avast! related or any other possible cause....

Thanks for your hard work by the way, for letting us have a great programme for free Excepting present problem of course.  ;)

Regards
Barbarella a.k.a. gothicbarbie
www.gothicbarbie.co.uk