Author Topic: Left overs on screen (I don't know what else to call it)  (Read 15391 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Linuxrevolt

Re: Left overs on screen (I don't know what else to call it)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 03:24:04 AM »
Before I got here I was thinking of how to describe my problem and look what I found.

I'm having the same issues.

Left over boxes on my display. I've never used McAfee. Right now I'm using Keiro as a firewall. This didn't seem to be the problem. It all started after the last Avast Program Update.

Something else strange about Avast in the last week. When I go to open the User Interface it will not open. It scans the memory and then nothing happens.

I tried reinstalling all my ATI drivers, Reinstalled Avast but nothing seemed to help. Right now I'm back to AVG FRee and I just paid for 2 yrs of updates from Avast.

I've seen quite a few threads but no real solutions. Unless I missed them. I'll continue to browse and if anyone has some pointers please let me know. I hate to quit using something that I just paid for.

testy

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 03:36:29 AM »
Yep, exact same problem here.  I'm also using AVG Free.  I didn't like AVG at first but it's growing on me.  It scans e-mails much faster than Avast.  It's very basic and doesn't have as many features as Avast but it works.

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 04:05:38 AM »
I used AVG Free for years but I just "Invested" in Avast a few months ago and now I can't use it till this is cleared up. It seemed to be working but very buggy on my system.

I didn't try to uninstall the Firewall and see how Avast was acting then but I'm out of time tonight and I'm just going to relax. I'll try a few more things tomorrow. I like Avast Pro but this kind of bummed me out.

Xp Home SP2
Avast 4.7 (Latest update is what I was running)
Kerio 4.3
ATI 6.7 Drivers

Just in case  that helps the experts.

anbu

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 05:17:12 AM »
try to install older version of kerio .i myself tested older version of kerio and it does not have this problem.the current kerio 4.3.268 have this problem. you can download older version of kerio from

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kerio_personal_firewall/

i think this problem is happening to people having avast and latest version of kerio installed.people using zonealarm doesn't facing this problem? i myself using zonealarm
without any problem.

Linuxrevolt

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »
I'll give that a try but I would like to run both programs with their latest updates. Avast and Kerio just came out with new program updates.

Ruud

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »
I have the same problem with Avast! version 4.7 Home Edition (4.7.871) and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall version 4 (4.3.268).
I have the following solution:
Close the firewall (right mouse click on icon in Taskbar)
Start antivirus and
Start Firewall again.
Of course off line!
I do not know the cause of the problem, but this solution is working!

Ruud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »
I have the same problem with Avast! version 4.7 Home Edition (4.7.871) and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall version 4 (4.3.268).
I have the following solution:
Close the firewall (right mouse click on icon in Taskbar)
Start antivirus and
Start Firewall again.
Of course off line!
I do not know the cause of the problem, but this solution is working! Ruud
Does Kerio interface, when opening it through the icon on system tray, freeze?
If you go to the Log settings (if I remember correctly), right click the blank space of the interface you'll see a context menu.
Disabling something related to 'resolve' address saves a lot of time without changing the security features (you're just changing how deep is the log).

Ruud

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 11:33:11 PM »
The Kerio interface does not freeze.
Which Log settings do you mean? The settings of Avast!Antivirus or the setting of Kerio?
In Kerio I did disable something with "address", but it did not help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:42 AM »
Which Log settings do you mean? The settings of Avast!Antivirus or the setting of Kerio?
The Kerio one...  :-\ :'(
But, if the interface (of Kerio) does not freeze, that is not the problem... and won't be solved by the 'address' issue...

Ruud

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 10:54:38 AM »
I used the Kerio Interface and disclosed Address, gate and protocol. Unfortunately it was not the solution!

roro

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »
Ok,  I have read this thread before and was happy it didn't happen to me except this morning when I tried to open Avast on my laptop:  Start Avast.  It tested memory and startup and then closed the window without opening the simple user interface, and I got the Start Avast Antivirus shadow on my desktop.  After reading all the posts I shut down Kerio Firewall and the shadow disappeared and the Simple user interface opened correctly.  I don't have Kerio on my desktop and have never had the problem, so as far as I am concerned it is a problem with Kerio and Avast.  I  also have the newest Avast update and the newest Kerio update.
Avast! version 4.7 Home Edition (4.7.871) and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall version 4 (4.3.268).
Why would Kerio prevent the Avast from opening the Simple user Interface?  I did notice that when I tried to open Avast and stopped the testing of memory and startup that the Simple user Interface did open. (This was before I shut down Kerio).

Update:  I started Kerio again, and opened up Avast Simple user Interface with no problems and no shadow.  Is this problem fixed?

RoRo 8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 09:58:19 AM by roro »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »
Why would Kerio prevent the Avast from opening the Simple user Interface?
Maybe low level conflict of the drivers...
There were some other problems with the last Kerio updates. I'm thinking that after being bought by Sunbelt, the development is not the same as before  :-\ :'(
I've give up on Kerio - at least for a while - and go to Comodo  :)

gothicbarbie

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
Okay, I am coming back to check on this post a few weeks later to see if there has been any news...

I have to apologise about being so quick to point a finger at Avast! and thinking that it´s an Avast! problem, but after my last post I also got the same "leftover/ghost" problem with Windows Explorer menus, and items just staying there on the screen.... so it wasn´t just with Avast!.

I also tried the Kerio deinstallation, and voila! It worked!  Not only did it get rid of the ghost problem, but also the problem I had with Avast! not starting up automatically after doing a memory scan. 

Anyway, I´m off to look for another firewall now (I heard somebody mention Comodo, so I´m gonna check that one out). 

Thanks again for solving this mystery! :)

Barbarella aka Gothic Barbie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 04:25:04 PM »
I also tried the Kerio deinstallation, and voila! It worked!  Not only did it get rid of the ghost problem
Kerio is well known to bring troubles in this area...
Sometimes, disabling the 'resolve address' option in the logs makes the GUI stable and it works lighter and better.
But, as you've said:

Anyway, I´m off to look for another firewall now (I heard somebody mention Comodo, so I´m gonna check that one out). 
Take a Comodo look... Good firewall indeed  ;)