Author Topic: Key showing vpn active  (Read 6115 times)

Offline danda367

Key showing vpn active
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
Hi All apologies if this has been covered but its too long to look for it basically Ive put avast vpn on my android tv box and the app says it's connected but shouldn't there be a "key" icon in the top left hand side of the screen to say it's active when you play a show on the box ? the helpline for avast is Phillipino's and it's all but hopeless trying to get help from them as they have no clue what your on about,
any help much appreciated,
cheers,
Danda

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Key showing vpn active
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
Hi Danda,

The key icon doesn't appear on Android TV in the same way that it appears on smartphone/tablet versions of Android. This icon is driven by the Android OS detecting a connected VPN service, and not by the SecureLine VPN app itself. If the connect button in the app changes to connected (and displays the amount of time it has been connected for), then the VPN is active.

Offline danda367

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:39:10 AM »
Big thank you for that it's appreciated, the only thing I never realized was how much this vpn would slow down my internet speed from 12 to ONE mps it's actually rendered its own self all but useless so its back to the drawing board and search for one thats not as severe ?
thanks again your appreciated,
Danda

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
Hi Danda,

Before abandoning SecureLine, I would recommend trying to connect to different servers if the speed reduction is that severe. By default, the app will connect to the "Optimal" server, which is simply the nearest server geographically - if you are using the VPN whilst connected to a streaming service, I would recommend using one of the streaming locations (as these are better optimized for streaming video rather than typical internet browsing, and can provide a better connection whilst streaming).

Offline danda367

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:28:04 AM »
Really appreciate the advice it's gold to me, can I just ask a favor ? I'm going on holidays soon but when I get home it would be great if you could give me some pointers could I pm you ?

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Hi Danda,

Glad to hear the advice is useful  ;)

You can of course PM me if you feel it is necessary, but if it is a general question (i.e. not including any personal details), then I would ask you to post the question publicly on the forum - this way, other people with the same question can see the answer. Additionally, you may get a quicker response (if I am not available for some reason).

Offline danda367

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:06:17 AM »
No worries and that makes good sense will catch you up in about a month ,
thanks again...............