Author Topic: Why is it Contacting hundreds of web sites?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline m.maggiore

Why is it Contacting hundreds of web sites?
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
Hallo
I just installed the free antivirus , and Little Snitch is telling me it is contacting hundreds of web sites where I have an account or I visited in the past but also many other I have no idea what they are. Is this normal? What is it doing?
I read that there antivirus publishers have been compromised so I am worried that someone might be using this to get all my access information and data
I checked other similar posts I found, but they refer to contacts happening while accessing a web site, this is happening while I am not accessing the sites which are contacted
Also, I set up little snitch to block all ad-related sites, if I accept the site through the scanner does it mean I in fact re-enable it?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:31:21 PM by m.maggiore »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Why is it Contacting hundreds of web sites?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »
Hello,

I do not know if Little Snitch blocks access to specific hosts for single process only, or for all the processes. If you do the former, you may have a problem, you should block the page for the whole computer or also for com.avast.proxy process.

Regarding the traffic: Web Shield intercepts all http traffic and https traffic originating from browsers, Mail Shield intercepts all IMAP/POP traffic. Please keep in mind that when you access a specific web page, content of the page typically triggers tens of other HTTP requests to various other pages (eg. google login, facebook login, static image hosts, videos...). Even simply writing something into browser's URL bar typically causes multiple pages you have previously accessed via the browser to be downloaded.

While it is not impossible for some malware to exploit Avast, I find it highly improbable.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek