Author Topic: Saved Passwords - can I transfer to new computer?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Fofee

Saved Passwords - can I transfer to new computer?
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
I need to change the laptop I use which Avast has saved a number of passwords for things for me.  Is it possible to transfer these to a new laptop/computer or do I have to start again?

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Saved Passwords - can I transfer to new computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »
Hi Fofee,

You can move the saved logins to the new laptop/computer using the synchronization feature (which will also ensure that any changes made on either device in the future would also be synchronized). Please see this article on our support website for detailed step-by-step instructions and screenshots for how to complete the process: https://support.avast.com/article/255/

It is also possible to move the saved logins by exporting them to a JSON file, then moving this file to the new laptop/computer, and importing the logins. This is much less secure (as the logins are saved in plain text in the JSON file, whereas they are encrypted during the synchronization process), and also means that the logins won't remain up-to-date across your devices.

To move the logins by JSON file, please open the Avast Passwords screen in Avast Antivirus > unlock the vault if it is locked > click "Settings" in the top right corner > click "Import / export data" on the left hand side > click the "Export to File" button and save the JSON file. Once you have moved the file to the new computer, please open the "Import / export data" Passwords screen on the new laptop, and click the "Import from File" button > select the JSON file and click "Open".