Author Topic: Avast Business Managed: "DNS Resolve has failed"  (Read 46078 times)

Offline Assist2

Re: Avast Business Managed: "DNS Resolve has failed"
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
Secondly, please, could you enable the debug logging, restart the "Avast Business Console Client" service and send us the log files after the content of smbupd.def is newly overwritten?

Thank you in advance

Where is the setting to activate debug logging on Client?

When the content of smbupd.def overwrittening? Every time I click Update in Client?

Offline Libor Ambruz

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Assist2:

Enable debug logging is an option in the settings in the console (it's present in the "Troubleshooting" section) and also in the AV settings ("Settings -> General" in the "Maintenance" section). Personally, I would recommend to set it manually directly in the AV.

The content of smbupd.def is overwritten after the application of the policy/settings, i.e. if you turn off the "Avast Business Console Client" service, enable the debug logging and turn the mentioned service on then it should be after several minutes at most.

Offline Assist2

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Assist2:

Enable debug logging is an option in the settings in the console (it's present in the "Troubleshooting" section) and also in the AV settings ("Settings -> General" in the "Maintenance" section). Personally, I would recommend to set it manually directly in the AV.

The content of smbupd.def is overwritten after the application of the policy/settings, i.e. if you turn off the "Avast Business Console Client" service, enable the debug logging and turn the mentioned service on then it should be after several minutes at most.

Where should I search the log file?
Does it in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\?

Offline Libor Ambruz

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Yes, "c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log" is the correct place with the logs inside. I would also suggest adding content of "c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\var".

Thank you in advance

Offline BramblePelt

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »
I came into work today and noticed that our Avast clients were updated from 18.5.2535 to the 18.6.2540!

Here I was thinking that I'd need to manually touch all our machines to reinstall, since just running the update .exe didn't do anything...

Thanks for letting me keep my weekend Avast

Offline Assist2

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »
Hi Assist2,
I'm sorry you are still having an issue with the mirror server, we thought that the bug is already fixed with the release of AV 18.6.

Firstly, please, could you check that the station is really available via. "ping" and "tracert" to the mirror server?

Secondly, please, could you enable the debug logging, restart the "Avast Business Console Client" service and send us the log files after the content of smbupd.def is newly overwritten?

Thank you in advance

Somehow after a few days at 18.6 everything is works fine
Thanks!

Offline hillsinc

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
Anyone else still having problems with the local premise business console local update server not working?

We are using the on premise business console, version 6.0.14.951  and have 80 windows clients.  The system is configured to pull updates from the local server (192.168.100.19) but it has never worked.  I upgraded our console from 6.0.8 today in the hopes of resolving this, but no.  Still no updates from local update server.
Antivirus software version on both server and clients is 18.8.2546 (build 18.8.4084.409).
Server replies to ping by name as well as IP so there is NO DNS ISSUE LOCALLY.  Server firewall has appropriate ports open.  Tested with server firewall disabled, still no updates from local update server.

Contents of workstation smbupd.def file is:
[mirror]
enable=1
allow_fallback=1

[servers]
maintenance=0
count=1
override=1

[server0]
name=Download Mirror ABS Server 0
urlpgm=http://192.168.100.19:4158/iabs
urlpgmcc=http://192.168.100.19:4158/iabscc
urlpgmmw=http://192.168.100.19:4158/iabsmw
urlvps=http://192.168.100.19:4158/ivps9x
urlvpsnitro=http://192.168.100.19:4158/vpsnitro
urlvpslitenitro=http://192.168.100.19:4158/vpsnitrotiny

Any input would be most appreciated!  I opened a  ticket with tech support, but honestly I am not very hopeful.  Having 80 clients constantly checking / updating antivirus via the internet is just crazy and uses way too much bandwidth.
Thanks

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »

Offline hillsinc

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I went through the Avast Business Managed Troubleshooting Guide.  On the client I did see some bcc event log errors referencing the server IP and port 8088.  There was no firewall rule specifically for port 8088, nor do I see it in any documentation anywhere either.  Not sure if that is left over from a legacy install or what.  Anyway I added a firewall rule on the server & tested from client - still not updating.  Disabled server firewall & tested from client - still not updating.
There IS communication from the management console to the clients as config changes are propagated to the clients with no problem.  The clients are simply not getting definition and program updates from the local server.

Stopped client services, deleted C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\afb & C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\var folders.  Restarted services, still not updating...

Regards,
Todd

Offline andrey.01015

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I went through the Avast Business Managed Troubleshooting Guide.  On the client I did see some bcc event log errors referencing the server IP and port 8088.  There was no firewall rule specifically for port 8088, nor do I see it in any documentation anywhere either.  Not sure if that is left over from a legacy install or what.  Anyway I added a firewall rule on the server & tested from client - still not updating.  Disabled server firewall & tested from client - still not updating.
There IS communication from the management console to the clients as config changes are propagated to the clients with no problem.  The clients are simply not getting definition and program updates from the local server.

Stopped client services, deleted C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\afb & C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\var folders.  Restarted services, still not updating...

Regards,
Todd

I have the same problem.

Can you download these files on the client from the local update server?

Code: [Select]
http://IPupdateServer:4158/iabs/servers.def.vpx
http://IPupdateServer:4158/iabs/prod-pgm.vpx

Offline Grupo SACIA

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
Hello, same problem here, with pc's with no restrictions to accessing the internet and it gives an error of Host unreachable, you must have problems with your servers!

Offline Grupo SACIA

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »
Well it looks like Avast has done something, today the updates started to work as normal again, and we haven't change anything on our side.

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
Well it looks like Avast has done something, today the updates started to work as normal again, and we haven't change anything on our side.

I'm glad your issue has been resolved. Let us know if you continue to experience any issue.
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support