Author Topic: Avast Background Process starts but get no interface  (Read 5182 times)

Offline knightstalker83

Avast Background Process starts but get no interface
« on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:22 AM »
Evening all,

I have Avast free antivirus installed but when i left click the system tray icon or the start menu shortcut, the avast service runs in task manger but i get nothing opening on my desktop.

I have done the usual restart, full shut down and back on again. I have uninstalled through control panel, used the avastclear utility. I have installed with the online installer and the full offline installer.

I have repaired avast, modified avast by removing and adding install options. I have installed with the bare essentials. I have removed any remaining folders from the uninstall when using control panel or the avastclear utility.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, fully up to date. New PC build last month.

The only thing i can find is this error:

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid.  The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name:   \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\wsc_proxy.exe"

Hard Disk Volume 4 is my 3rd visible partition which is 2 1TB drives in a raid 0. Drivers are fully up to date and had no issue with Avast opening until i tried to check Avast today.

Because of the above event, I scanned all drives using chkdsk /f /r with no error on drives.

Event ID was 5038.

I have also tried AVG Free in case it was just an UI issue, I get the same issue.

I tried another virus checker that is not AVG or Avast and have no issue with their UI opening.

Any help appreciated

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Background Process starts but get no interface
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 02:29:41 AM »
Do Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 02:34:46 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

The issue is I can not access the GUI/UI. It will not open. I can get the repair option if I try to remove Avast from Program and Features. I mentioned this in my original post that I have already tried this method.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:35:47 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

The issue is I can not access the GUI/UI. It will not open. I can get the repair option if I try to remove Avast from Program and Features. I mentioned this in my original post that I have already tried this method.
If Repair doesn't fix the problem, try the following:
If your Avast settings are not the default settings and you want them restored after the Clean Install, follow this before removing Avast.
https://goo.gl/TXjM7h
Clean Install of Avast:
https://goo.gl/4Ptzkf
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:43:18 AM »
I can not do the first option as i can not access the GUI/UI, it will not display on the desktop when I open from the system tray or start menu.

Per my original post, I have used the avastclear uninstall utility, all with the same results.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:48:12 AM »
You could try the latest beta: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227253.0 And see if the problem return or not? but before install this beta remove prev avast by avastclear uninstall utility.

OR
https://support.avast.com/en-in/article/Troubleshoot-Antivirus-UI-Failed-load
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:57:08 AM by Be Secure »
Security Enthusiast

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 03:54:39 AM »
Unfortunately the beta did not work, I am now getting the application error AvastUi.exe The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004). Click OK to close the application, with Event ID's 7000 and 26.

This is happening with the beta and now the stable version.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »
Submitting a support file using the Avast Support Tool:https://support.avast.com/en-in/article/Submit-support-file

you can provide the support File ID here.I will report it to avast dev.
Security Enthusiast

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »
Hello, I submitted the report on the 19th but have not heard anything back.

The FILE ID was C5M65

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
The Avast UI does not even get that far. No window will open on the desktop. An instance will appear in Task Manager and nothing else happens.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »
Hello, I submitted the report on the 19th but have not heard anything back.

The FILE ID was C5M65
I am notified avast dev let see..
Security Enthusiast

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
One other thing to consider....You haven't said how you are getting the installation files.

Running the online stub installer sometimes results in exactly the same issues you are reporting.  These issues likely are happening because a critical file is lost or corrupted in transit or network glitch happens.  Most of the time the online installer works satisfactorily, but sometimes it does not.

Try downloading the full offline installer and run that instead.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
+1
"Try downloading the full offline installer and run that instead".

That has happened to me in the past and the direction is spot on.

Offline knightstalker83

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 10:04:38 PM »
Thank you Be Secure for following up and thank you Mchain and Schmidthouse for the replies.

I mentioned in my original post that I tried the offline installer. I got the file from this link https://www.avast.com/installation-files.

I have since done a full wipe and clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I did a full Windows update and driver install then I tried the latest version of Avast Free antivirus (19.5.2378) using the full offline installer.

The issue is still present.