Author Topic: Can I recover my Secure Browser bookmarks without access to the browser?  (Read 5432 times)

Offline william1657

I recently had a computer crash and burn. I was able to recover most of my data through a tech support service near me, but sadly Avast does not seem to store bookmarks as shortcut files like IE did, so I'm not sure how to recover those old bookmarks now.

Is there a way to recover bookmarks using only the program files?

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Hi william1657,

The bookmarks data is stored in the "Bookmarks" and "Bookmarks.bak" files in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\AVAST Software\Browser\User Data\Default

If these files were recovered, you can open them using Notepad to access the bookmark names and URLs.

Alternatively, you can copy the files and paste them into the C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\AVAST Software\Browser\User Data\Default folder on a new computer (please note that if you have already saved bookmarks on the new computer, doing this will overwrite them).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ BWhit
Would the user not need to disable the Avast Self-Defence module, given the location ?
C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\AVAST Software\, is this not a protected area.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
@DavidR,

Yes, he would need need turn off Avast Self-Defence. Thanks for pointing that out!

@william1657

If you have any version of Avast Antivirus installed, to turn off Self-Defence, please open the Avast application > click "Menu" in the top right corner > click "Settings" > make sure "General" is selected on the left hand side > click "Troubleshooting" in the central column > un-check "Enable Self-Defence" > click "Yes" on the warning popup. Once you are finished with the Bookmark files, please re-enable Self-Defence by checking the box again. Please see the attached screenshot for clarity if needed.