Author Topic: Which firewall to use  (Read 7772 times)

safe1

Which firewall to use
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:48:17 PM »
Hello,
My son recently purchased a new computer with Windows Media XP, and is currently using a free trial subscription from Norton, which came pre-installed on the computer.
After reading about the Usage Norton consumes, he would like to have Avast as his anti-virus. I have it running on my windows 98SE.
Was wondering which "firewall" runs well with Avast; preferably a "free" one. Noticed some posts on Zone Alarm which had some problems running with Avast.

Any help is appreciated.

Realize windows has it's own firewall, but it doesn't block incoming packets.

Thanks for help!

Safe 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Which firewall to use
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:32:46 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

markwolk

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:43:52 AM »
I am personally using Filseclab - very low on resources and works well with Avast for me on Win XP Pro. Based on my experience, I can recommend it. http://www.filseclab.com/eng/products/firewall.htm 

duke

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »
Hello safe1. My son actually has our Router Firewall disabled to play a game on the internet. Long story short. I didn't learn about this for some time all the while using a wireless desktop with my Window XP Firewall disabled thinking I was being protected by the Router Firewall. After finally finding this out, I enabled Windows Firewall, and went in search of something better. Before I tell you what I use, let me say this. Neither myself or my son, who is 23 years old and most likely surfs some personally undesirable web sites, (And soon needs to move out. LOLOLO) had any viruses. What we both did have however, was good old Avast. Now I'm not saying this is all you need, but my point is. With the Router Firewall  disabled, and both of us only using Windows XP Firewall,  ( Except for me for a time)  we felt protected because of Avast. I finally got paranoid though, and decided on an older version of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2.3. This can be found on filehippo.com and I like it. You can find out more about it in various Forums, but I'll tell you it still offers decent protection even after it becomes the free version,  by retaining a few things the full version did.  Just three more things. 1. Please be careful with Zone Alarm Free except for version 6.1.744.001  2. Comodo Firewall is fast becoming a great Firewall, and the one I will personally be using after the next version comes out. And 3. Search in the Forums for information on the free Firewalls, and read what people are saying about them BEFORE you install one. You already found a great Forum to start with, as the Avast Forum is one of the best I've found for help. To prove my point, wait and see how many others respond with good advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:05:29 PM »
I am personally using Filseclab - very low on resources and works well with Avast for me on Win XP Pro. Based on my experience, I can recommend it. http://www.filseclab.com/eng/products/firewall.htm 
It might be worth your while doing a forum search for filseclab as there have been a few problems with this and there is a patch from them to correct this problem. I don't know if this patch is incorporated in the current version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safe1

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:57:15 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I have been searching and reading forums, but was just wondering what "Avast" users use, since I'm positive that Avast will be the anti-virus protection we will be using on this newer setup, since I am so satisfied with it on my oldie windows 98!
I've read alot about it conflicting with Zone Alarm, that's why "user" input means a lot about a product.

I will keep searching, and if anyone else has any recommendations on what they use with Avast, please respond.

Thanks in advance to all!!

Safe1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
Well you could do a forums search for firewall and avast as this has been the subject of a few topics and polls.