Author Topic: False positive ,strange Avast behavior.  (Read 10553 times)

bassbag

False positive ,strange Avast behavior.
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:37:02 PM »
Since the last update ive been getting a virus alert ...
Virus Name.....Win32:Initx
File Name........C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
The weird thing is the virus alert popup and blue and yellow ticker bar alert pops up when I start to type in a web page.For example when I started to fill in the subject header in this post it alerted me.Im also getting the warning pop up every minute or so when im just browsing , which is a little annoying.Im sure the files ok Its a genuine windows file and AVG,and panda online scan and housecall online scan detect nothing.Trojan hunter doesnt detect anything either.Im using w98se.Should i snd a copy of the file for examination?
tia
me
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:40:05 PM by bassbag »

nemastef

Re:False positive ,strange Avast behavior.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 09:48:44 PM »
I am getting the same thing.  Has there been any response to this to you? TIA
Steph

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:50:14 PM »
I'm receiving the same virus alert today.  I do know that this is a harmless virus (if there is such a thing).  Check and see if you have a file named "initx.dat" on your system.

Three of us in one day seems sort of odd :-\
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:52:09 PM by Culpeper »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 09:57:29 PM »
Yes, I confirm this is a false alarm - see this thread for apology  ;)

Pavel

bassbag

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 09:58:09 PM »
It seems to be realated to the latest update.I do not believe i have a virus at all (even a friendly one :) )and that it is a false positive.Are we all using 98 here?..or is this affecting other operating systems?
tia me

bassbag

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 10:01:20 PM »
Thanks for update and info Pavel.:)
me

nemastef

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 10:35:35 PM »
Thank you for the information!  Great stuff here.  Will be checking back in the future.  First time poster today.   :D

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 11:07:27 PM »
It seems to be realated to the latest update.I do not believe i have a virus at all (even a friendly one :) )and that it is a false positive.Are we all using 98 here?..or is this affecting other operating systems?
tia me

I'm under XP Home and 4-home (with this morning's update) and nothing unusual so far.  Maybe it's triggered by something on whatever page (Java/Flash/etc.)?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 11:10:40 PM »
There are some more fals reports.  :( Check my mailings if you want to know.

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 11:56:20 PM »
What mailings?

JLS

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 04:05:57 PM »
OK - I'm the dummy who quickly over reacted.  This thing came up with a virus warning and I immediately clicked to delete the file.  Now my Outlook express is slow, and I'm sure I'll need to restore the file.  Please tell me I won't have to reinstall outlook express or explorer.  How can I restore the pstores.exe file?  I'm on 98SE as well.  

bassbag

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 06:48:57 PM »
You could type sfc.exe in start>run and this will bring up the system file checker.Click scan for altered files and it will go through your system in forming you of system files that have altered ,are corrupted or have been deleted.It should tell you that pstores.exe has been deleted and offer you the choice of restoring the original from  cab files or from disk.You can choose the cab files to restore from.You may see lots of files changed , altered deleted etc but just restore the one you deleted (pstores.exe),and dont worry about any others tha SFC may throw up.Failing that i can always send you the file as i use 98se too.
me

JuMAZDAj

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 10:32:52 PM »
I had the same situation. After last update, avast detected virus in PSTORES.exe file. This file is component of Outlook Express.
For the future. If You have virus in this file, you can remove it, but then Outlook Express will be working very slow. Next You can overwrite this file with oryginal pstores.exe from Win98_44.cab (instalation of Win98).

JuMAZDAj

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 10:42:55 PM »
Hey, JLS,

give Your e-mail, than I send You this file (pstores.exe)

bbsr

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 12:57:11 AM »
I also deleted the file. Can anyone give me directions to restore it for Windows98?  ???  I really would appreciate it!