Author Topic: Windows Error Reporting Prompt after through system scan  (Read 3524 times)

Wo Dao

Windows Error Reporting Prompt after through system scan
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:03:02 AM »
Alrighty, to start this off, I'll give information about my system's software in particular, if hardware info is needed then I'll provide what I recall.

*Currently using Windows XP SP2 (ironically, it's "ungenuine", but avoid having that to get in the way.)

* I recently uninstalled SHAW SECURE software...my ISP is SHAW...and the software was free if i still have my ISP suscribed with SHAW....but w/e...I quit using the program anyway....I started holding a personal grudge against their F-Secure powered software anyways....they're no different from Norton who I also feel uneasy about "suscribe and BUY NOW and you will be protected." Oh give me a break....Avast & AVG at least cared...despite what features would be excluded if one were to take free versions....there are other software out there that would help protect certain spaces in one's comp anyways. But I never tried norton anyhow, but all that "trial" BS was what I heard from friends who had trouble paying up anyhow....

Excuse my ranting people.

*I have 4 anti-spyware programs installed. Here they are as listed:

-Ewido anti-spyware. The Resident shield of the feature is activated for 60 days. And I left it on.

-Arovax Anti-spyware (Beta).

-Ad-aware Personal SE

-Spybot S & D

*Other software that may of be a concern relating to the error.

-Comodo Firewall

-Spyware Blaster. A software from javacoolsoftware that has a huge list of unwanted tracking cookies, known ad addresses, and activex. Basically, this is a block list they have, and it's manually updated once in a while.

-Arovax Shield (currently unused but installed). Basically, I will activate this thing once the 60 day trial of the Resident shield of Ewido is gone. It's like a personal (AND FREE) resident shield that would :

- BLock IE hijacks
                 - Block Browser extensions
                 - Shield against tracking cookies for IE
                 - Shield against tracking cookies for Firefox
                 - Block Auto start sections
                 - Block executive file associations
                 - Guard HOSTS file (and my hosts file is just lethal against such ill-willed sites :D)
                 - Guard startup folders
     Note: I'm not certain about ALL the functionalities of the program as I      leave it turned off while Ewido's resident shield is on.

Ok, I'm going to state what my problem is from here.

Avast resident shield is all on HIGH for ALL the features (Outlook/Exchange Shield is OFF)

As I scan with Avast...I go for a THROUGH SCAN (incl. archives)....hmm...after my full scan..after the log page...I see an error occur....this SAME error that occured for the 3rd time for this particular scan.

Ok, for my first 2 through scans, I wasnt watching..I just left the comp the way it is...and that Windows ERROR reporting things comes out of nowhere, and I had trouble confirming whether or not, that the scan was finished.

But the 3rd time.....ooh, saw the error occur in front of my face. It was that "error reporting" thingy that occured. I'm not really sure how it came about...but as I watched my monitor...relieved...closed the program...15 seconds later or so....

Well here's all the info I got off the error message:

AppName: ashimp2.exe         AppVer: 4.7.844.0     ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer:5.1.2600.2180           Offset: 00010e03

And if I were to send the error message to Microsoft WHICH I REFUSED ;D

This FILE would be sent to them:

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\5d86_appcompat.txt

Well, this is all the info I have for now.....but I'm thinking it maybe the resident shielding from Ewido and Avast that would be the problem.

Oh...and the Avast through virus scan took like 1hr and 30 mins like Shaw Secure had..

Shaw Secure scanned my system for spyware and viruses in one scan...had about 490000 files total.

And Avast only scanned about 50 gigs of my system, while taking quite a long time with my AVI files...

But I'm curious...is Avast scanning EVERYTHING on my system? (not talking about the skipped files...but will the software scan EVERY LITTLE THING on my system?)  :P

Anyhow, I wanna keep Avast, I sense positive intentions within Avast!, so I wanna stick with the software ;D Avast rocks *thumbs up* :)

- Wo Dao

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Windows Error Reporting Prompt after through system scan
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
But the 3rd time.....ooh, saw the error occur in front of my face. It was that "error reporting" thingy that occured. I'm not really sure how it came about...but as I watched my monitor...relieved...closed the program...15 seconds later or so....

Well, if the problem occurs always when scanning the same file (which is hard to guess just by watching the progress, I suppose), it would be helpful if we could get and check that file.
You may go to program options and enable the creation of the report file (on the "Report file" page). If you let everything be included in the report (even "OK files"), the resulting report will be rather huge, but you should be able to guess where the scanning stopped (according to the end of the report).

I'm afraid this info doesn't really contain anything useful - the crash occurred in a system library, but that may just mean that something was called improperly... hard to say.

Well, you don't have to refuse it - we can get the relevant submitted error reports from Microsoft.

Please, check the folder <avast4>\Data\Log - are there any files called something like
unpXXXXXX.tmp there? Or maybe unpXXXXXXX.tmp.mdmp? (X are some numbers)

But I'm curious...is Avast scanning EVERYTHING on my system? (not talking about the skipped files...but will the software scan EVERY LITTLE THING on my system?)  :P

Depends on the selected sensitivity of the scan. If you choose a "thorough" scan, then yes - but that's usually an overkill, "standard" scan should be enough in most cases.

Wo Dao

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »

Well, if the problem occurs always when scanning the same file (which is hard to guess just by watching the progress, I suppose), it would be helpful if we could get and check that file.
You may go to program options and enable the creation of the report file (on the "Report file" page). If you let everything be included in the report (even "OK files"), the resulting report will be rather huge, but you should be able to guess where the scanning stopped (according to the end of the report).

Sorry, I was trying to say that even though the scan finished without any problems, everything went fine all on it's own, but the error came out of nowhere..after 15 seconds that i closed the avast program that is.

Well, you don't have to refuse it - we can get the relevant submitted error reports from Microsoft.

Please, check the folder <avast4>\Data\Log - are there any files called something like
unpXXXXXX.tmp there? Or maybe unpXXXXXXX.tmp.mdmp? (X are some numbers)

Hahah, I refuse to sent reports to Microsoft 'cause it takes forever (years maybe) for those reports to be replied to. But no worries about that. ;D

As for those files you wanted me to check from the "<avast4>\Data\Log" directtory

I have:

unp146528545.tmp.mdmp
unp174700386.tmp.mdmp
unp199378486.tmp.mdmp
unp234703564.tmp.mdmp

I'm afraid this info doesn't really contain anything useful - the crash occurred in a system library, but that may just mean that something was called improperly... hard to say.

No worries, I guess this shouldn't be a worry.

Depends on the selected sensitivity of the scan. If you choose a "thorough" scan, then yes - but that's usually an overkill, "standard" scan should be enough in most cases.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm rather paranoid about malware...heheh :P

Anyhow this whole thing shouldn't be too much of a problem.

*Error comes and crashes a closed Avast! application after a while*
*Woops, the error hasn't crashed onto my scan, and brings small damage to the Avast program while it's closed*
*Avast self-heals and nothing else is obstructed*
*OPening Avast! again, and everything is functioning*

;) *thumbs up*

Hahah, I think I'll fix the error once I find my answer, or if someone simply runs into an answer or shares a similar happening. Not really a lethal or critcal issue. Anyhow, thanks again!  :D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »
If the .mdmp files have a recent timestamp, please send them to vlk@avast.com for analysis. I'm not sure if it reveals anything useful (if the error appears when the program is being closed, I somehow expect that it's some kind of memory corruption done previously... which will be hard to identify), but you can try.