Author Topic: virus (trojan) HELP ME  (Read 2489 times)

emka

virus (trojan) HELP ME
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:33:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

I use Avast 4.7 Home Edition

Avast found: Trojan-Downloader. JS.Agent.ab in a file name: FILE0001.CHK

Avast cannot repair it. What can I do? How to "kill trojan" and repair file.

Please help me  :'(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: virus (trojan) HELP ME
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:58:22 PM »
Hi emka,

At first I propose you to do the following:

(NOTE: Be sure to run the scan in Safe mode)

Begin by downloading CCleaner, and specifically choosing the most recent version from here: http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

Then, follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears select the "View" tab.
5. Place a checkmark in the checkbox labeled "Display the contents of system folders".
6. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section select the radio button labeled "Show hidden files and folders".
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide file extensions for known file types".
8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide protected operating system files". 9. Press the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button and shutdown My Computer.
10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Now, install the program. Open it, and choose the 'Options' tab. Inside, hit the 'Custom' tab, and add the following folders (Note: Not all of these files are on every computer. If one of these isn't present, skip it):

C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\History
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Cookies
C:\Windows\Prefetch

After doing this, move back to the 'Cleaner' tab, and inside this, be sure your open to the 'Windows' tab. Inside, check the box labeled 'Custom Files and Folders'.

Next, after following all of these steps, you're ready to scan. Run scans in both the 'Cleaner' and 'Issues'. Note: It might take several scans in each to remove all of the junk.

After this you could put a hjt log here.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: virus (trojan) HELP ME
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »
avast gives many options and move to the chest (where it can do no harm) is your best first choice and then do as you are, investigate it.

Where was it found example (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

Trojans generally can't be repaired (either by the VRDB or avast virus cleaner), because the entire content of the file is malware, so it is either move to chest or delete, move to the chest being the best option (first do no harm). When a file is in the chest it can't do any harm and you can investigate the infected warning.

The VRDB only protects certain files, .exe, dll and other system files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.
Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.
However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:35:26 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security