Author Topic: One odd question -- and I used the search button.  (Read 4893 times)

stradf

One odd question -- and I used the search button.
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:33:14 AM »
Okay I recently bought a laptop. It's a centrino dual 1,83GHz core, tecra and such.

Because Avast pwns, I installed it. However, I have a secret folder where everything inside is kept crypted, only openable with my finger. The problem is : when Avast is off, everything goes well, but when it's on I can't open the folder because ''It is already under use''

This is due to avast real time protection. Is there any way I could make this file an exception ( I already did in scans) in the main program? I tried everything :(

Thank you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: One odd question -- and I used the search button.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:55:20 AM »
I've heard of a similar problem before - the encryption software seems not to like that avast! is scanning the crypted drive container for some reason. The solution is to put the path to the contained into the list of Standard Shield exclusions (that prevent it from scanning it).

How to do that: leftclick on the avast! tray icon, click on "Details...>>" if not already expanded, select the Standard Shield provider from the list, click "Customize" and insert the path to the container on the last page of the provider configuration.
Since you didn't mention the name of the encryption software, I'm not sure if it's the same as the one I'm referring to; this was called "Protector Suite" and the path to the container was something like
c:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Protector Suite\My Safe.fdp
(Of couse, you could have installed it elsewhere.)
In any case, the container file will be "big" - similar size as the encrypted partition - so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:34:20 PM »
I've heard of a similar problem before - the encryption software seems not to like that avast! is scanning the crypted drive container for some reason. The solution is to put the path to the contained into the list of Standard Shield exclusions (that prevent it from scanning it).
Another solution: use TrueCrypt to encrypt on-the-fly the disk, or full partitions, or a particular folder... Freeware (opensource), works on Windows, Mac and Linux. Secure, reliable  ;)
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Oh, not even a trouble with avast  ;)
The best things in life are free.

stradf

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:22 AM »
First, thanks for the quick help.

I am using Protector Suite QL. The '' My coffer'' is located at C:\Documents and Settings\François\Mes documents\Mon coffre

I added it to the exception list, unfortunatly nothing has changed :( Do you have any more suggestions ? Thank you :)

I can't use any more encrypter because the file is automaticly crypted using my finger as a key. It came with the computer. Thank you.

stradf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:32:27 AM »
I should add that even when I add C:/ to the exception list, nothing happens  :-X still the same thing, that it cannot be unlocked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:52:12 AM »
I should add that even when I add C:/ to the exception list, nothing happens  :-X still the same thing, that it cannot be unlocked.
Is C:/ a typo?
Would you want C:\ ?
I hope not either... or your antivirus will be 'disabled'. Better will be:
C:\Documents and Settings\François\Mes documents\Mon coffre\*
Add, boot and try  ::)

stradf

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:58:49 PM »
Doesn't work either :(

When I do c:/ with the / on the other side, it does not work either. Still the same problem, cant unlock bla bla bla

tls

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:54:23 PM »
I am not familiar with Protector Suite QL, but the problem appears to be the same as in this thread.  Maybe the information there will help.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19784.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:22:40 AM by t l s »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 12:13:35 AM »
Doesn't work either :(
Can you try?
C:\DOCUME~1\FRANOI~1\MESDOC~1\MONCOF~1\*

When I do c:/ with the / on the other side, it does not work either. Still the same problem, cant unlock bla bla bla
Look, the slash \ is the correct... The other means nothing on Windows file system, only in Linux and Internet addresses.