Author Topic: Norton 'left behind'  (Read 17757 times)

drhayden1

Re: Norton 'left behind'
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:54 AM »
Hey Spiritsongs :o
Sun Java Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 8
their website still says Update 6-i had to get it at the link below
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4648.html

it's update 8 now-not update 7 ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:53:29 AM by drhayden1 »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
 :)  Hi Doc :

Thanks for the "heads up" on "Update 8" ; will be using
      it myself later on AND recommending it on another thread
      in that other forum .

vettebob1

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:25:25 PM »
This note is in response to TECH.

I did what you suggested.

1. There was no NAV to remove. None is listed in the "Add and Remove" programs area.

2. I downloaded the 3 files.  The "SymNRT" only ask that I reboot at the end of the process. No steps were asked to be repeated.    The "SYMMSICLEANUP" scared me!!!  It asked if I wanted to write it into the Registry!!!!!!!!   I said yes.  And then I rebooted.  When I attempted open the control panel something flashed up real fast and said something about 'installing' ????? I could not see what it was installing???  Anyway it was quick and when I got to the Security Setting icon I click on it and it said that the Norton Internet Security firewall was running????  I am just so baffled on how that can be when there is NO Norton products installed on this computer anymore?????

Bob Bray

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »
2. I downloaded the 3 files.  The "SymNRT" only ask that I reboot at the end of the process. No steps were asked to be repeated.
Ok, it's normal.

The "SYMMSICLEANUP" scared me!!!  It asked if I wanted to write it into the Registry!!!!!!!! I said yes. And then I rebooted. When I attempted open the control panel something flashed up real fast and said something about 'installing' ??? I could not see what it was installing ???
No trouble, it's ok and working.

Anyway it was quick and when I got to the Security Setting icon I click on it and it said that the Norton Internet Security firewall was running ??? 
Well, are you running NIS ?  ??? ::)

I am just so baffled on how that can be when there is NO Norton products installed on this computer anymore ???
No Norton? The paradise  8)
The best things in life are free.

vettebob1

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 10:42:08 PM »
To Tech

I am baffled by your response????????
My Security Center is still telling me that NIS firewall is active?????  That is what I'm saying by There is no Norton products installed BUT SECURITY CENTER IS STILL INDICATING THE FIREWALL IS???

I don't understand???

Spiritsongs

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 03:02:39 AM »
 :)  Hi Vette :

Like I said in "Reply #6" : "At times, the "info" coming     from the Windows 'Security Center' is NOT reliable ". Would
      encourage you to read the info at :
     www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablefwalerts.mspx .

AND as important, if not more so, is the info at :
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wscintro.mspx .
      On "page 2" is a diagram showing where you can turn
     "Off" those "Settings", which I recommend be done .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 04:34:24 AM »
I am baffled by your response????????
No... you're baffled by Symantec response  :P

My Security Center is still telling me that NIS firewall is active?????  That is what I'm saying by There is no Norton products installed BUT SECURITY CENTER IS STILL INDICATING THE FIREWALL IS???
If Spiritsongs is right, i.e., if Windows Security Center has a bad detection in this case... it's explained.
If not, you need to fully remove NIS  ::)

vettebob1

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 09:36:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for trying to assist me in my dilemma.

Just to be clear, NIS program(s) is no where to be found installed anywhere on the harddrive of the computer
BUT....................................
Security Center must think that there is a firewall from Norton still existing???

Out of curiosity I clicked on the Windows Firewall to be active and when I checked the Security Center it comes up with "At least ONE of the firewalls installed on this computer is currently ON"  Further on it states: "Note: two or more firewalls running at the same time can conflict with each other".  This seems to indicated also that Security Center is detecting a firewall by Norton and thus indicating that when I activate the Windows Firewall I'm running two????

I think WE ALL can believe that I don't have Norton firewall and that if I activate the Windows Firewall I am actually running only one.  Don't we??

So I'll try not to hung up about this no longer.  I'm stuck with this silly indicator from Security Center.

I'm noticing that most of you would use a firewall other than Windows?  I am currently using the "hardware" firewall that comes with the NETGEAR router.  Any suggestions that will work with my peculiar situation?

Thanks again
Bob Bray

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 09:55:36 PM »
I'm noticing that most of you would use a firewall other than Windows?
Yeah... we want outbound protection and XP one just give us the inbound (and even this, weak...).

I am currently using the "hardware" firewall that comes with the NETGEAR router.  Any suggestions that will work with my peculiar situation?
Comodo, Kerio, Jetico or ZoneAlarm (all free) in this order is my suggestion  ;)

Spiritsongs

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 10:39:21 PM »

Momentarily back to your HijackThis log ; based on what
     you have told us, the following should be "fixed" :

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
   O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
   O16 - DPF: {01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft SmartIssue) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {01012101-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft Script Runner Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsr.cab
  O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/LSSupCtl.cab
  O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
  O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe (file missing)

As I mentioned earlier, your Sun Java is several "Updates"
 behind & is a serious security risk; should uninstall it, then
 go to www.majorgeeks.com/download4648.html to get the
 latest .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 11:41:53 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, your Sun Java is several "Updates"
 behind & is a serious security risk; should uninstall it, then
 go to www.majorgeeks.com/download4648.html to get the
 latest .
I have trouble with version 8 update... I had to downgrade to 7...
Installation crashed  :'(

vettebob1

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 01:45:56 AM »
SpiritSong you said according to my log the following had to be fixed.  How?  Do What?  There were several items you listed from my log, just what am I to do/fix???

By the way I have uninstalled the old Java and installed the new Java.

Also I have gone to several magazine web sites and found the the SYGATE "free" firewall was recommended to try so I am

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 01:50:47 AM »
Fix as in tick the fix box in hijackthis to the left of the entry when you have done a hijackthis scan.

Tutorial - HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2 or HiJackThis Tutorial 3

I would look again for a firewall, firstly those web sites should have also mentioned that Sygate free is a discontinued firewall, no more development. Secondly there is a flaw in sygate (localhost loop back) in that it can't tel what program is using a localhost proxy, it only detects the proxy and if you give that permission, any program that uses the proxy also gets through. So if you go with sygate you wil need to disable the transparent proxy of web shield and manually configure what browsers you to use the proxy.

There are others, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc. See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:56:48 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 04:53:54 AM »

The "abandoned" Sygate Personal Firewall, which I still use
     AND is still a good firewall ( unless you use a "proxy" ),
     can be downloaded from :
     www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/ .

There is an excellent "Setup Guide" at :

www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:53:07 AM by Spiritsongs »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
I found a solution: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22994.msg189891#msg189891  8)