Author Topic: ESET detects Avast Win32/Bundled Toolbar Google  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Maxwell5

ESET detects Avast Win32/Bundled Toolbar Google
« on: July 04, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
For the past few days my laptop has been running in a sluggish manner.

After running Avast Smart Scan; Malwarebytes Anti-Virus; ADWCleaner; TDSS Killer without finding the source of the problem, I ran an ESET Scan.

This scan detected two instances of an "Avast Win32/Bundled Tool Bar Google..." [See Screen Shot Attached]

Sadly ESET was unable for reasons unknown to me to delete or quarantine these pesky issues.

Could someone kindly advise me how to rectify this problem?

Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ESET detects Avast Win32/Bundled Toolbar Google
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
Well if you have Avast installed and something else tries to remove elements of Avast the Avast self-defence module will try to prevent that.

The greater issue is why you would even want to remove them. 

The screenshot though massive doesn't actually show the full path or file name, or why ESET detects it.  Guessing the remainder of the Threat name in the image, is I suspect 'Potentially Unwanted Program.'  Having installed Avast this is hardly unwanted,  in this case I would say you should have elected to do nothing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Maxwell5

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
The response above has a certain rational to it and I would accept it unhesitatingly were it not for the fact that:

1.  My laptop is noticeably sluggish.
2.  I have been using Avast for years and have not had this issue rear its pesky head.
3.  I have also regularly run ESET which is highly reputable  when it comes to identifying infections and in all the previous times I have run it prior to the last few days it has never detected an issue directly or indirectly related to Avast.
4.  I recognize the screen shot sadly does not show the full path or file name.  I shall run ESET again and see if there is a way to detect the full path name.
5.  If I am able to provide further substantive information regarding the message from ESET I shall post it on this humble thread and hopefully the will enable the identification of the underlying reason for both my laptop to sluggishness as well as why ESET is detecting an issue with "Avast" Hopefully this will bear a more nourishing fruit than blame the user.

Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 03:09:13 PM »
Why it isn’t a good idea to run multiple full antivirus products at the same time
https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/12/18/do-not-run-multiple-antivirus/

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/

In your case it seems you are using ESET online scanner and that should not be a problem

After running Avast Smart Scan; Malwarebytes Anti-Virus; ADWCleaner; TDSS Killer without finding the source of the problem, I ran an ESET Scan.
This program does not exist ...

Programs Malwarebytes have > Malwarebytes Antimalware and Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes Antimalware is not a antivirus, it does not detect real virus, it also does not target script, doc, media files

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:38:28 PM by Pondus »

Offline Maxwell5

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
The Administrator of this thread may close and delete it.

Thank you.