Author Topic: Avast slowing down PC a lot  (Read 15963 times)

SherriBabee

Re: Avast slowing down PC a lot
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Is there a program or something to list all processes that are started on booting?
Hi

Here's a program that I use, small download too... Installs an Icon in your Control Panel, Doesn't loadup on startup per say, but it shows you whats starting and what Key it's running from, changes can be made to it too, moved or deleted.   I like this one, but there are others out there too

Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin v2.8 *Freeware*
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Rgds,
Sherri

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
This link is worth looking at which is for a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

Satsuko,

I guess I mis-stated my question above and now that others have also joined in ... and Sherri has mentioned a freeware program ... I should restate my question. Also, David has mentioned a removal tool for Norton because that sorry program leaves all kinds of junk when uninstalled in the normal manner ... as does any other Symantec program.

And to All,

What I wanted to know is what programs other than avast are running in the taskbar. Many of you have stated that you only have one or 2 programs running. This seems unrealistic to me.

In addition to the program Sherri mentioned, you can also try the free What's Running ... www.whatsrunning.net/ ... which will give you an idea of what programs, processes, etc are running on your computer. I suppose the one Sherri mentions does similar things. With What's Running, the last tab on the right ... Startup ... has 26 items listed that startup when my computer is booted and there are 12 icons in the task tray. The amount of Drivers, Modules, etc are much higher.

While I am not trying to say that in any way the recent update to avast is not a contributing factor, what I am trying to suggest is that perhaps there is more going on at the start-up on all of your computers than some of you might realize. With the recent update of avast, maybe some of these computers are beginning to get close to running low on resources. I am an "applications junkie" and sometimes on my old computer, I tend to get it "a little heavy" on startup items. This new computer has not a problem in that area though if I do get a certain amount of stuff running at startup, I will notice a little slowdown in startup time.

Actually, even on the old computer, I do not notice a difference in startup time with the most recent avast update. The old computer is an AMD 750 Duron with 512 mb RAM. This new one is in my signature below. Oh, and some of you are probably running services you do not need. This takes up CPU cycles and memory which slows down your computer.

Remember, I do not know how computer savvy any of you are so please forgive me if I step on a toe or 2. It is not intentional. And, of course, I may have missed a thing or 2.      ;)

Satsuko

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 10:11:13 PM »
Norton should be fully removed now, finally.
The problems remain, though.

I have 7 icons in the taskbar, 2 avast!, Zone Alarm, that Volume-thingy, Sound Effect, FreeMex (some RAM-check program) and an icon to "remove hardware save(?)" and that's it.
I have lots of Windows/Microsoft Services running on startup which I can see in msconfig but I don't know which ones are needed and which ones aren't so I didn't change a thing there.
Using ctrl-alt-del it tells me I have 33 processes running right now. When starting any program cpu-usage goes up to 100% which is mainly caused by avast! and the starting program.

The problem shouldn't be my computer - 1024MB RAM and 2,5GHz and the hdds aren't that full - still 33% left of free space on c:\ and around 30% on d:\.

SherriBabee

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
Hi CharleyO,

Naaa, nothing taken personal here  ;D  I've become a Security 'Junkie' tho lol (also a "Gadget-a-Holic" too) ... I hardley even play on the NET these days, always hoping around Forums to learn all I can  :)

Here's what I have going at the moment, just to show you what is running.. (see attachment)

I did go back to the "On-Access Protection Controls" tho and made some adjustments and well see what happens over the next few days... I have them as I posted early most in Normal mode and 2 in Custom mode.. Oh and on the Email scan, I don't scan outbound emails, figure they should be scanning as it comes Inbound (seen that somewhere)...

So see, in general im not running many programs while im surfing... Have a couple other startups I neglected to mention, i.e... UPHClean, WindowsEnabler which show as running processes (those are fairly small on resources) and these 3: "Disk Idle Optimizer", "Tweak-UI" and "Bug-Off", but these last 3 don't show active in "Task Manager", I guess they run Undercover  ;D

I'll keep ya's posted...

Tks Folks 4 the assistance  :)
Rgds,
Sherri

Satsuko

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
Just in case - HijackThis log.

dSwift

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 06:31:15 AM »

Satsuko,

I guess I mis-stated my question [snip]

What I wanted to know is what programs other than avast are running in the taskbar. Many of you have stated that you only have one or 2 programs running. This seems unrealistic to me.

[snip]

While I am not trying to say that in any way the recent update to avast is not a contributing factor, what I am trying to suggest is that perhaps there is more going on at the start-up on all of your computers than some of you might realize. With the recent update of avast, maybe some of these computers are beginning to get close to running low on resources. I am an "applications junkie" and sometimes on my old computer, I tend to get it "a little heavy" on startup items. This new computer has not a problem in that area though if I do get a certain amount of stuff running at startup, I will notice a little slowdown in startup time.

Actually, even on the old computer, I do not notice a difference in startup time with the most recent avast update. The old computer is an AMD 750 Duron with 512 mb RAM. This new one is in my signature below. Oh, and some of you are probably running services you do not need. This takes up CPU cycles and memory which slows down your computer.

Remember, I do not know how computer savvy any of you are so please forgive me if I step on a toe or 2. It is not intentional. And, of course, I may have missed a thing or 2.      ;)

No worries - you never know who your dealing with on these forums.  I personally have the following programs listed in the tray (as well as sound, power, network, hw removal): Avast, MSantiSpyware, ypops, and intelligent manageability (hp monitoring tool).  This is the same setup as I had with previous versions.  I might also add that with previous I was able to run all prividers in HIGH withot any ill affect.  Now with v4.6.763 I have intermittent "slowness" with everything set to normal.

Since reading this thread i've played around a little bit more and although not a huge improvement was gained, I feel performance has improved by disabling all feedback (silent) in all providers and disabling animations (although with this setting the avast icon continues to spin???) and sounds .

It is curious - Since this problem began I decided to rebuild my machine as it had been over a year of installing and uninstalling apps and it was time to clean up.  The rebuild was without any other AV installed (unlike the previous build which had had several installed in my search for a sound product).  However, the intermittent performance issue continued.

I have not tried to revert to 4.6.744 (although I do still have the source).  Not bothering me that much, and I figure the benefits of the new version outweigh this side affect.  However, I feel this issue is worth Alwil investigating.  I have seen other threads around this topic sice the release of 4.6.763.

Still a good product, that I'll stick with for a while longer - Cheers

1.4ghz, 768mb

falconx

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 08:09:11 PM »
I experience significant slow down of my PC while online.  This only occurs after I have been booted up for 15 minutes or so,, like a cache filling up or something.  I am sure it is avast, because when a web page hangs, I can stop the avast program and the web page will come to life again.

Anyone getting anywhere with figuring out what the problem is?

Really annoying and time consuming -

falconx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »
Falconx:
1. Please, resize your avatar to 100x100 for instance, it's too heavy for dial-up users and for display.
2. Other, we need more info: which is your operational system, other security program installed, which browser are you using...
3. Check the last file scanned (left click the 'a' blue icon and click details) in each provider... any clue about them?
4. Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity? High or Normal?
The best things in life are free.

falconx

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:48 PM »
Hope the new avatar size is better.

OS - XP Pro
ZoneAlarm
IE
Shield normal

Sorry can't give you the last file scanned,, had to turn Avast OFF to work.

I know folks don't like to hear that there are problems with their programs, but, lets face it.  If you are getting this many complaints and/or questions, there IS a problem.

I know as a "newbie", I was having a hard time following ALL the messages, replies & threads that have been created on this topic.

vettebob2

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 10:04:50 PM »
It is now several months since the original post by the sender.  But, I have just come across this, I'm new, and I too having been suspicioning that my computer has slowed down some.  My 'home' laptop is a HP with an AMD Turon chip + 2 gigs of memory.  My work laptop is a HP also with the ML-32 AMD chip.  Both seem to have slowed down lately.  I have been reading articles that seem to indicate that some virus software slow down the operations?  Is Avast one of the offending parties??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 11:44:56 PM »
Sorry can't give you the last file scanned,, had to turn Avast OFF to work.
For sure it's not normal have to disable the antivirus to work.
You have a conflict or a problem.
Any other antivirus installed in the past?
Are you using ZA free or Professional?

I know folks don't like to hear that there are problems with their programs, but, lets face it.  If you are getting this many complaints and/or questions, there IS a problem.
We? Who are we here?
I love troubles ;D. I'm an user like you and I'm here to help  :)

I know as a "newbie", I was having a hard time following ALL the messages, replies & threads that have been created on this topic.
But it's not easy to 'guess' what's wrong with your computer... just complaining about avast won't help...
The best things in life are free.