Author Topic: Avast aswStm.sys causing BSOD  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Firma2

Avast aswStm.sys causing BSOD
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »
Hello,

I don't know what is going on, but it seems our Avast Business is crashing our 2008 R2 RDS now even a few times within an hour.

I am going to remove it for now but still I am looking for a resolution. dumpfiles can be found there: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jAjmZyv2C3CGIhrrHn3E1LVOXh7OeD7L

If I need to open a ticket, let me know, if you need further information let me know.

Kind regards,

André

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: Avast aswStm.sys causing BSOD
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:36:16 PM »
Thank you for reporting this, this bug was introduced with recent RDP filtering, which was added by microupdate. We are working on fix. As temporary workaround, please disable web shield.

Offline Firma2

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:51:34 AM »
Thanks for the response. We have uninstalled Avast for now, "no web shield" is not safe enough to let people browse free internet without a proxy, which we can't use in our multi WAN setup. (And all those BSODs corrupted parts of our registry in the end, so I had a real tough time yesterday.)
Btw what has the web shield to do with RDP? That is one confusing thing. But yeah, it even BSODed when I had nothing open and just wanted to paste files through RDP session onto the server.

Let me know, when this is fixed, our license is still valid a few months and ofc we are thinking about switching products or going one more year with Avast.

P.S.:
Please can you change your way of implementing things? Disable by default + notification?
Same goes for patch inspector, now I have to go through the templates and all to deactivate something that wasn't there when the product was installed. I see our patch status in our domain's update server.
I do not like to sound rude but you know, every additional module/feature can cause more trouble - that is why I'd kindly like to ask to implement a function or option to make things like that "disabled by default".
 - Like a choice-option (switch) in the settings or so where people could decide whether enable or disable by default.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Edit: I forgot to mention, avast's uninstallation process was not triggered by removing/uninstalling it from the cloud management - I had to use the avast clean tool, which still left pretty much of traces back in the file system and registry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:17:12 AM by Firma2 »

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
The fix is now released, it should be delivered to your computer automatically during installation.