Author Topic: The online content is unavailable...WTF??  (Read 17544 times)

Offline Janet84

The online content is unavailable...WTF??
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:41 AM »
HI There, I don't know how to look this stuff up on a forum so please bear with me. I signed up for the free trial of Avast Internet Security so I could resolve the performance issues the scan says are there. I struggled with getting the license set up and activated but now it's there. Now each time I run a scan and go to resolve the performance issues found all I get is ..
"The online content is unavailable"   I might turn into a loyal customer after the trial is up, but not if I can't get the bloody program to do what it says it can do.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: The online content is unavailable...WTF??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:22:39 AM »
What are these Performance issues ?

Personally I believe this is trying to get you to purchase the Paid version of Avast CleanUP.

I take it this happened after a Smart Scan ?
Even in the Avast Internet Security, there are modules a taster of other Avast paid products. 

When you click Resolve, if this is for a paid product it opens a purchase screen do download the paid CleanUP module, it isn't actually going to resolve those issues.

Personally I'm against this type of promotion, give the person a headache and sell the aspirin.  Whilst the reported issues may be correct I don't believe it should be done in this way.

Do you feel your system is any different than before, e.g. do you think you have a performance problem ?
If not you re unlikely to need it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Janet84

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
Personally I'm against this type of promotion, give the person a headache and sell the aspirin.  Whilst the reported issues may be correct I don't believe it should be done in this way.

Do you feel your system is any different than before, e.g. do you think you have a performance problem ?
If not you re unlikely to need it.

Thank you DavidR.  I think my system has been running more slowly lately so I thought the upgraded version of Avast would benefit me.
It is possibly a mistake then. I will go back to the free version if this free trial version isn't going to resolve any problems.
Cheers!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
Hi Janet, a free trial version of Cleanup is available here: https://www.avast.com/cleanup
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
Hi Janet, a free trial version of Cleanup is available here: https://www.avast.com/cleanup

Is this free trial the same as the AIS free trial, e.g. you have to sign up for it (payment at end of the trial) ?
If so I would be looking for a free system cleaner to check what is running on your system, etc.

@ Janet
You could do your own checking in your OS as to what Programs you allow to start on boot many don't need this and can be started as and when you need them and shutdown when you aren't using them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
Is this free trial the same as the AIS free trial, e.g. you have to sign up for it (payment at end of the trial) ?
Never tried it, but according to the reports in the Cleanup section, it seems so.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 03:58:50 PM »
Never tried it, but according to the reports in the Cleanup section, it seems so.

I certainly wouldn't try it under these conditions (but then again, I do my own clean up).

Offline Vapor

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
That was my beef 2 weeks ago with even paid version of avast Pro and that's why I lost it. It actually doesn't do anything other then taking you step by step to purchase exactly that.

I hope avast will remove that from paid version, it really doesn't serve anything other than annoyance and we  know where to look for if we need something else on top of what we already have and paid for.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:59:24 PM by Vapor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
That was my beef 2 weeks ago with even paid version of avast Pro and that's why I lost it. It actually doesn't do anything other then taking you step by step to purchase exactly that.

I hope avast will remove that from paid version, it really doesn't serve anything other than annoyance and we  know where to look for if we need something else on top of what we already have and paid for.

The problem is on an installation there are lots of modules installed that are paid services, these only tell you about issues and to resolve them you have to pay.

My advice is for people to do a custom install and only install those components they want and certainly get rid of the Cleanup component.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »

The problem is on an installation there are lots of modules installed that are paid services, these only tell you about issues and to resolve them you have to pay.

My advice is for people to do a custom install and only install those components they want and certainly get rid of the Cleanup component.

The problem is that even with custom install, which I do every time I either upgrade or update or do clean install, it still disregards your settings or they adding new settings and futures you aren't aware and step by step e.g. Smart Scan" supposedly resolving you current issue (bull crap) excuse my language, then takes you to upgrade to components that will "help you" (another bull) to resolve rest of the issues.

How irrational that is I cannot believe that avast is not seen or don't want to see it as very, very unhealthy  move, its almost as if they don't use common sense   ::)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:55:14 PM by Vapor »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 09:45:42 PM »

The problem is that even with custom install, which I do every time I either upgrade or update or do clean install, it still disregards your settings or they adding new settings and futures you aren't aware and step by step e.g. Smart Scan" supposedly resolving you current issue (bull crap) excuse my language, then takes you to upgrade to components that will "help you" (another bull) to resolve rest of the issues.

How irrational that is I cannot believe that avast is not seen or don't want to see it as very, very unhealthy  move, its almost as if they don't use common sense   ::)

Not to take away from your experiences
I personally can't confirm, as I also have done, and only do "custom installs" choosing only the components I want and to date, have not received any prompt, ads or other notifications for any of the  components I 'have not' installed. I also have the adds/3rd party stuff Unchecked

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vapor

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »

I personally can't confirm, as I also have done, and only do "custom installs" choosing only the components I want and to date, have not received any prompt, ads or other notifications for any of the  components I 'have not' installed. I also have the adds/3rd party stuff Unchecked

so let me ask you ..on bob's video when after "Smart Scan" and it finds advanced issues, specifically the 3 primary folders and if you run free avast I guess it won't go further to fix anything but in paid pro version I would go forward and fix and it would say "all venerable folders fix" Yet! if after that you go back and do it again, it's not fixed and what was fixed exactingly...nothing at all  and it takes you further to purchase other of their cleanup software, so what you call that

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »

so let me ask you ..on bob's video when after "Smart Scan" and it finds advanced issues, specifically the 3 primary folders and if you run free avast I guess it won't go further to fix anything but in paid pro version I would go forward and fix and it would say "all venerable folders fix" Yet! if after that you go back and do it again, it's not fixed and what was fixed exactingly...nothing at all  and it takes you further to purchase other of their cleanup software, so what you call that
You need to purchase Avast Cleanup. Just running the Pro version isn't going to fix those issues.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:16 AM »
<snip quotes>

I don't do a custom install every time, subsequently I do a manual program update (I have program updates set to Manual) and I haven't experienced any components that I unchecked (didn't install) being subsequently being installed.

The Smart Scan (Dumb Scan if you ask me), not that is another ball game, this to my mind is there to try and entice you into purchasing other avast products.  The Resolve button just takes you an upgrade page and payment, etc. etc.