Author Topic: The online content is unavailable...WTF??  (Read 17543 times)

Offline Vapor

Re: The online content is unavailable...WTF??
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »
That was my beef 2 weeks ago with even paid version of avast Pro and that's why I lost it. It actually doesn't do anything other then taking you step by step to purchase exactly that.

I hope avast will remove that from paid version, it really doesn't serve anything other than annoyance and we  know where to look for if we need something else on top of what we already have and paid for.

The problem is on an installation there are lots of modules installed that are paid services, these only tell you about issues and to resolve them you have to pay.

My advice is for people to do a custom install and only install those components they want and certainly get rid of the Cleanup component.

The problem is that even with custom install, which I do every time I either upgrade or update or do clean install, it still disregards your settings or they adding new settings and futures you aren't aware and step by step e.g. Smart Scan" supposedly resolving you current issue (bull crap) excuse my language, then takes you to upgrade to components that will "help you" (another bull) to resolve rest of the issues.

How irrational that is I cannot believe that avast is not seen or don't want to see it as very, very unhealthy  move, its almost as if they don't use common sense   ::)

Not to take away from your experiences
I personally can't confirm, as I also have done, and only do "custom installs" choosing only the components I want and to date, have not received any prompt, ads or other notifications for any of the  components I 'have not' installed. I also have the adds/3rd party stuff Unchecked

On your video when after "Smart Scan" and it finds advanced issues, specifically the 3 primary folders and if you run free avast I guess it won't go further to fix anything but in paid pro version I would go forward and fix and it would say "all venerable folders fix" Yet! if after that you go back and do it again, it's not fixed and what was fixed exactingly...nothing at all  and it takes you further to purchase other of their cleanup software, so what you call that
You need to purchase Avast Cleanup. Just running the Pro version isn't going to fix those issues.

I know that you need to purchase the clean up add-on I've been asked that more then dozen times but there is more to the issue.

On your video under advanced issues one of them  is "3 venerable folders" so you proceed  to next and avast  tells you its fixed right? NO, but it tells you "All Clear" It has been resolved, bull, why is it tell you that? 

Next you proceed after supposedly your first issue is fixed it takes you to purchase site so you can resolve your further issues  but go back to supposedly resolved folder issue, you can go and do 100 scans and let it fix it over again  and its still the same bologna, nothing was fixed in the  first place.

Other then to push you through to the next to get your attention on avast's paying products page, the Smart Scan is absolutely, totally useless and avast is  forcefully advertising their paying additional software (add-On's)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:15:26 AM by Vapor »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 01:07:00 AM »
For the unsecured folders, there's another product that needs to be purchased.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vapor

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 01:08:16 AM »
For the unsecured folders, there's another product that needs to be purchased.

Well, why is it telling you its all clear and issue is resolved then, to trip you over again and push you forward.

Do you see on the image its clear and fixed or its my imagination

Is it me, am I seen things, please tell me or others don't get that and I asked simple question... what was fixed? 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:24:09 AM by Vapor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 01:16:44 AM »
@  Vapor
Which is why I rarely if ever (I used to on beta testing and forum questions) run on-demand scans and even less so the Smart Scan.

The first image I attached in my last post:
Point 1 -  3 Primary Folder are vulnerable to advanced ransomware - well they are the windows default locations for documents, music and images I believe.  Guess what I don't use the defaults and they are all EMPTY.  But the Dumb Scan doesn't check or care about them being empty.

Point 2 - I had to laugh the windows 10 firewall is just fine. - but the Dumb Scan doesn't care about that.

Point 3 -  Trying to flog me RealSite - I have other tools in my armoury to combat fake websites, but the Dumb Scan doesn't know about them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vapor

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 01:36:07 AM »
@  Vapor
Which is why I rarely if ever (I used to on beta testing and forum questions) run on-demand scans and even less so the Smart Scan.

The first image I attached in my last post:
Point 1 -  3 Primary Folder are vulnerable to advanced ransomware - well they are the windows default locations for documents, music and images I believe.  Guess what I don't use the defaults and they are all EMPTY.  But the Dumb Scan doesn't check or care about them being empty.

Point 2 - I had to laugh the windows 10 firewall is just fine. - but the Dumb Scan doesn't care about that.

Point 3 -  Trying to flog me RealSite - I have other tools in my armoury to combat fake websites, but the Dumb Scan doesn't know about them.
I'm like you I don't use default folders, in fact, this is what makes me wondering about avast diligence and true knowledge.

I use Deepfreeze Ent. and Igloo to redirect some of the registry and folders to totally different location, some of them even outside of my system.

As you know if you delete theses folders they will rebuild themselves unless you delete the registry associated with them, so I don't even have them I haven't had them since windows 7 existence  so what is avast pointing to, if that's what they after.

I'm the same way when comes to real site, there are much more diligent ways to know whether you are on genuine web or not.

Avast should  stop this ongoing silly sale pitch. I think they would gain more if they asked once or even twice rather then being so forceful and as I said, in free avast..OK but paying customers, give me a brake.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:47:23 AM by Vapor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 02:13:44 AM »
<snip quote>
I'm like you I don't use default folders, in fact, this is what makes me wondering about avast diligence and true knowledge.

I use Deepfreeze Ent. and Igloo to redirect some of the registry and folders to totally different location, some of them even outside of my system.

As you know if you delete theses folders they will rebuild themselves unless you delete the registry associated with them, so I don't even have them I haven't had them since windows 7 existence  so what is avast pointing to, if that's what they after.

I'm the same way when comes to real site, there are much more diligent ways to know whether you are on genuine web or not.

Avast should  stop this ongoing silly sale pitch. I think they would gain more if they asked once or even twice rather then being so forceful and as I said, in free avast..OK but paying customers, give me a brake.

As far as diligence goes, if Avast were to dig deeper into your system to find the non-default folder locations (and I'm sure they probably could), users would be screaming about privacy, etc. etc.

I have never seen the point in deleting these folders or registry entries, given that they will always be empty.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vapor

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 02:24:18 AM »
Yes I get that, but this makes me wonder, when my folders are none existent how on earth avast have determined that they are at risk and how they have applied and fix as it said "All Clear" and fixed  I can only come to my own conclusion but, enough of beating dead horse.

Yes, deleting the empty default folders is totally unnecessary but, years ago after windows 7 just came out I made my mission to slim that OS as much as I could, then after all  I made an image and ever since I have never reinstalled my OS, if anything I just reload that image and that is without theses folders.

If I was to reinstall windows from disk again I would not bother with deleting these folders its overkill :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:57:44 AM by Vapor »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
Yes I get that, but this makes me wonder, when my folders are none existent how on earth avast have determined that they are at risk and how they have applied and fix as it said "All Clear" and fixed  I can only come to my own conclusion but, enough of beating dead horse.

Yes, deleting the empty default folders is totally unnecessary but, years ago after windows 7 just came out I made my mission to slim that OS as much as I could, then after all  I made an image and ever since I have never reinstalled my OS, if anything I just reload that image and that is without theses folders.

If I was to reinstall windows from disk again I would not bother with deleting these folders its overkill :D
Advertising is not at the same level of knowledge as IT (Avast Programmers) so they use a one-fits-all-script.  Whether your system is different is irrelevant for their purposes.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801