Author Topic: Limited/No connectivity  (Read 21403 times)

ronb1000

Re: Limited/No connectivity
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 01:45:09 PM »
But it did something to the file partition table. See the error message above. Hoping to hear about this from tech support. Apparently I'm not the only person who is having this problem. Problem is potentially very serious.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »
No, it didn't, sorry.
First, avast! doesn't perform any such low level operations, and second - the error message means something else than you think (the name of this error is ERROR_FILE_INVALID - it means something like that some file doesn't contain what it is supposed to, or is completely empty, for example; the description, hardcoded to Windows, is rather confusing or even incorrect).

ronb1000

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »
So what does the error message mean? How do I fix the problem? Still hoping to hear from some expects in tech support. Cause (avast virus removal) and effect (no connectivity - somehow volumes are changed in partition table) are clear in spite of what you say.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
I'm afraid only the authors of the DHCP component know the real meaning of this message - but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with volumes, or even partition table.

When you write "virus removal", does it mean that a virus was detected during the scan and you told avast! to perform some action (such as to delete the infected file)? You didn't mention it previously.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:05:48 PM by igor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
Still hoping to hear from some expects in tech support.
In Igor, you are talking to one of the avast programs developers, a member of the Alwil Team, so I think that would qualify as some expert in tech support ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ronb1000

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 05:02:34 PM »
My problem is the same as vdubmurray above. Get the same output from ipconfig /all.  Only I gave you the error messages. Don't know how common a problem this is but denial isn't a good business practice. I tried installing a new network card - no help. I did delete a few viruses. Deleting a virus avast finds should not have the result of destroying the networking files with the result that I need to lose all my work when I reinstall the operating system!!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »
It isn't in their interest to deny (as you said for business reasons), however, if you had been in the forums for any length of time you wouldn't have said that. There have been numerous occasions where if a fault is identified to be avasts fault they put their hands up and say so and they then get on with the task of correcting that fault as quickly as possible.

I did delete a few viruses. Deleting a virus avast finds should not have the result of destroying the networking files with the result that I need to lose all my work when I reinstall the operating system!!!!

There have been occasions when some trojans, spyware ( NEWDOTNET - Check out this topic http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21608.0) hooks the internet settings and when removed the internet connections can be lost. For XP SP2, try - netsh winsock reset - this is enough to fix the issue. So in these cases a virus could well do something like this.

Although I doubt that this is the same as you problem, but you didn't mention the viruses or the file name and location that you deleted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »
OK, once more - avast! didn't destroy any networking files; avast! doesn't do anything to any files, unless they are found infected.

But, if you deleted some malware files, it is possible that they were somehow registered into the networking chain and now they are missing. (There's another possibility - that a legal system file would be reported as infected by mistake, i.e. a false alarm - but we didn't have any false alarm on this kind of files in a very long time.)
So, I think it would be best to find what files were deleted. Check the file <avast4>\Data\Report\aswBoot.txt - is there anything there?

mouniernetwork

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »
Seriously the problem is with your networking settings just change them to be a static IP and you'll go on internet just fine.(I have a linksys router as well and this problem has occured to me so I know what I'm saying).

MounierNetwork

ronb1000

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 06:22:30 PM »
Now maybe we're getting somewhere. Unforunately I was so frustrated that I completed deleted all avast files.

I recall that when I was deleting viruses (DOS mode) that one came up with a avast message something to the effect that it could not be moved to the vault since the hard disk did not have space (there were actually 20 Gigabytes free). I guess I should have been more suspicious, but I hit the delete option. All viruses in the system folders were moved normally to the vault. After ending the scan the networking failed immediately. This might explain the vol errors???? If this is the case there should be precautions built into avast to prevent deletion when this avast error message appears.

My ISP Verizon does not support static IPs.  How can I follow your suggestion under these circumstances??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
My problem is the same as vdubmurray above. Get the same output from ipconfig /all.
Which firewall are you using?

I completed deleted all avast files.
I suppose you UNINSTALL avast and not only delete files...

My ISP Verizon does not support static IPs. How can I follow your suggestion under these circumstances??
I suppose the IP is your local IP address (the IP of the network card) and NOT your external IP (the one your ISP knows and see...).
The best things in life are free.

ronb1000

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »
1. Zone alarm, but have same problem when Zone Alarm is turned off.

2. Yes I used the uninstall tool from your Website

3. Please advise how to set this up exactly. I tried a couple of different ways using the NIC card's IP but it didn't work [ need IP , subnet and DNS values to use in the IP config menu]

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »
1. Zone alarm, but have same problem when Zone Alarm is turned off.
It does not work, for instance, with Comodo (if blocking DNS attacks).
I mean, disabling is not enough.
Can you uninstall ZA for a while and see if the problem is corrected?

2. Yes I used the uninstall tool from your Website
But did you try uninstalling it through Control Panel before? Their website, we're users like you  ;)

3. Please advise how to set this up exactly. I tried a couple of different ways using the NIC card's IP but it didn't work [ need IP , subnet and DNS values to use in the IP config menu]
The IP and the subnet could be set by yourself. Just the router and any other computer should have compatible values.
The DNS values should be informed by your ISP.
The best things in life are free.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »
Since I have the same router as you do perhaps I can help.

First you have to do is type in your browser 192.168.1.1, to connect to the router.
Then and type your password
Once you are on the router's main page click on the status tab
You will then see 3 DNS Adress copy the first 2.
Now go to Network connection in the control panel.
Right click on your local connection and select Properties.
There you should see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) select that
Now click on the properties button .
A new window will open asking for your settings .
Start by choosing the option "use the following IP".
Choose any IP you want but it must start with 192 168 1
The subnet mask should be 255 255 255 0
The gateway is the IP of your router : 192 168 1 1
Then for the DNS Servers put the two IPs you copied off the router's status page.

Then You are all done.

Sure hope this helps...

Mounier Network

ronb1000

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 02:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the response. The problem is more fundamental. I can not reach the router through the NIC. The brower was the first thing I tried. Ping also doesn't work with 192.168.1.1.  Something is really wrong with the underlying networking software. Also tried another nic card - same result. Is there any way to repair the windows 2000 network without abandoning the whole system? [I tried the repair option on the installation disk - no help]. thanks for any help.