Author Topic: Avast installation problem Kubuntu 18.04LTS  (Read 6804 times)

Offline tyler820201

Avast installation problem Kubuntu 18.04LTS
« on: June 18, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
I have kubuntu 18.04 and was downloading the following .deb files:  avast_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb, avast-ubuntu_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb, avast-fss_1.0.9-1_amd64.deb and avast-proxy_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb. Installation went well done.

However when i check the status i have got the following error messages:

main: realpath(): /etc/avast/avast.conf: No such file or directory
main: Configuration file not available. Using default settings.
engine: avldrRemoveDefinitionsFolder(): invalid arguments
engine: avldrGetDefinitionsFolder(): invalid arguments
CacheDir: Creating missing directory /var/lib/avast/submit-data/streamback
BurgerSender: Creating missing directory /var/lib/avast/submit-data/burger
main: Fatal error. Exiting.

i was trying to edit sysctl adding to a very last line #kernel.shmmax = 128000000  but does not help.
i was trying to completely remove all avast packages and reinstall via .deb files (from terminal also try) but i have got the same issue. when i was uninstall i was manually removing avast related files such avast.conf but the file system  should be rebuild at the next installation right??

How should i install it to work normally??

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Avast installation problem Kubuntu 18.04LTS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
Hello,
For the installation, please follow instructions from http://deb.avast.com/lin/doc/techdoc.pdf and install it from ubuntu bionic repo stream; I recommend not installing avast-proxy package as it is no longer supported due to the fact that it's utility on linux is quite dubious. If issues still persist, please also check syslog logs.
Another thing is that you need a license to use Avast for Linux; this could be another reason why it does not work. Again, this should be in syslog logs.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline tyler820201

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »
Thanks for quick answer really appreciated.
It looks i have succesfully sort it out. Now only the avastlic.license file missing only. I was log in on my avast account but can not find how could i obtain a .license file. I intend to use the free antivirus so avast should provide this .license file for free right?? I was using in windows for many years the free antivirus version wich provides the core functions and i intend to use on linux a well but i am not sure does exist free or trial license for linux? ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:37:47 PM by tyler820201 »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
Hello,
unfortunately, as you can see from the name of this forum, the only version of Avast for Linux is for Business, and there is no free/trial version.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek