Author Topic: One Red X in the Console  (Read 4014 times)

Offline KDibble

One Red X in the Console
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »
Folks,

I realize that I have older versions of the avast! Business Protection software:

avast! Endpoint protection 8.0.1609

SOA v 1.3.3.35

However, there's something wrong with one particular machine; it's been showing a red X in the console for several days.

The machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 32-bit.

In the console the machine shows as "last communication: online". It shows the program version as 8.0.1609.

For "Virus definitions" it shows "0-0".

I can log into the machine and run the client. The client indicates a valid license, it can pull down an update from the server, and it can run scans just fine.

I have completely uninstalled avast! from the machine and reinstalled it. It still shows a red X.

I have deleted the machine from the console by "remove computer". It immediately shows up as "trying to communicate". When I use "fix it now" to "resolve" that, it shows up as a question mark. However, later it becomes a red X again.

I am not having this problem with any other machine (which are also all running versions of Win 7) and I do not want to reinstall the SOA and everything else.

Please note that this is the SOA, not the enterprise console. There is no way to specifically manually "push" an update from the console to a workstation.

Can anyone tell me --

1. Does this imply an undetected infection on the workstation?

2. What can I do, short of completely upgrading my installation, to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
Re: One Red X in the Console
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:21:14 PM »
Folks,
I realize that I have older versions of the avast! Business Protection software:
avast! Endpoint protection 8.0.1609
SOA v 1.3.3.35
However, there's something wrong with one particular machine; it's been showing a red X in the console for several days.
The machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 32-bit.
In the console the machine shows as "last communication: online". It shows the program version as 8.0.1609.
For "Virus definitions" it shows "0-0".
I can log into the machine and run the client. The client indicates a valid license, it can pull down an update from the server, and it can run scans just fine.
I have completely uninstalled avast! from the machine and reinstalled it. It still shows a red X.
I have deleted the machine from the console by "remove computer". It immediately shows up as "trying to communicate". When I use "fix it now" to "resolve" that, it shows up as a question mark. However, later it becomes a red X again.
I am not having this problem with any other machine (which are also all running versions of Win 7) and I do not want to reinstall the SOA and everything else.
Please note that this is the SOA, not the enterprise console. There is no way to specifically manually "push" an update from the console to a workstation.
Can anyone tell me --
1. Does this imply an undetected infection on the workstation?
2. What can I do, short of completely upgrading my installation, to fix this?
Thanks for any help.

In the SOA Console, go to Admin > Computer login audit trail (please see screenshot attachment) and see if that computer has any error messages. If so, hopefully it'll give you an indication of what's wrong.

You can also submit a case at https://www.avast.com/business-support-contact if you continue to experience issues. We may need a screenshot of your Network > Group view of the SOA Console.
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support

Offline KDibble

Re: One Red X in the Console
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »
I see three instances of red x under "success" with "ComputerBanned" under "rejection reason" for the machine. They all occurred yesterday and the dates/times *may* correspond to the times when I removed the computer to try to get the console to reset it.

There are zero other instances of red "x" or rejections for the machine in the login audit trail. There are several green checkmark events for the machine, including one this morning, although the machine still shows red x in the network group.

To repeat: The login audit trail shows successful login this morning but the machine has a red "x" in the network group display.

If I submit a ticket am I just going to be told to install the most recent versions of everything? I don't think I will do that, since I can verify at the client end that the correct program and pattern file versions are there.

Thanks for responding.