Author Topic: update  (Read 22024 times)

60!

update
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »
 ???Avast, was trying to updat and this is what it said.  Last encounter error    The system cannot find spceified file?  Debug?  I have never had a problem with Avast ever :P!  Same stuff on this machine as always.  So if someone could please advise Me I would really appreciate it.. 60!  Thank you

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:19:50 AM »
Sorry to ask the age old questions ... but it will help us to help you if you provide:

your current operating system> Win 95/98/ME or Win NT/2000/XP
your current version of avast software
any recent antivirus software
your current firewall installation if any

Edit: reviewing your recent posts it seems that you obtained a new system in March 2006 ... from that it would seem reasonably safe to assume that you are using Windows XP ... please confirm and advise on the rest.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:26:01 AM by alanrf »

60!

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »
So sorry.  My computer is Home xp. Iam using the free Avast.I thought it had updated again and installed
?  Retbooted etc.  Then a red flag came up and said error again.  Really dont know what is going om.  The report said it installed 4.7871.  I have not intalled anything new at all!  Sypgate is my firewall, adware ,ccleaner and spyware blaster.  Iam really at me wits end here.  Dont know a thing about computers and I dont want it to goof up.  Have never had a problem with it before.  Thank you 60!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »
Today avast advised me that it had a new software update to install.  I installed it and it was 4.7.871.

Really dont know what is going om.  The report said it installed 4.7871.  I have not intalled anything new at all!

Seems to me that you somehow selected to install the new avast program update - the same as I did

I am not sure what your red error  box indicated but if you right click on your avast icon in the systray and select "About avast" it will tell the program version and the VPS signature version that are currently in use on your system.  As of the time of this posting the VPS signature is 0632-2.

Please try to capture any red error box and let us know its contents in detail. 

60!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »
Thank you Alanrf for answering my reply so quickly..Yes I have 0632.2   4 .7.871 too.   I just did a scan and no files were infected,but, It said it couldnt scan these C:\windows \Downloaded program files  \bdcore.dll   \libfn.dll and 2 more with the same wording?   Iam sorry to say I have no idea what these are.   Iam not sure where you are at, but, Iam in Ca. 60!

60!

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:31:16 AM »
Well,  I know it is late.  So, I will ckeck back in the AM.  Sorry Iam not computer savy..  But, I do appreciate the help.  60!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:06:41 AM »
60! please! no apologies ... for most of us there are things we know nothing about ... and about which others would only shake their heads and wonder  how we made it this far.

If you click on my userid you will find that I am in CA, USA too.

There are a number of reasons why avast cannot scan certain files. Mostly it is because those files have been encrypted by their developers.  The point of encryption being to prevent them being read.  This is especiallly true of other antivirus and spyware scanning programs which encrypt their signature files so that they do not register with programs like avast as containing viruses or spyware.  Other files are reported as not scanned because they are "in use" by the operating system and in a state of likely to be changed.

If you can identify a specific list of files that worry you I am sure that some of the frequent support team here in the forum will be glad to help - that's why we are here.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »
It said it couldnt scan these C:\windows \Downloaded program files  \bdcore.dll   \libfn.dll and 2 more with the same wording?
Most probably these files are from BitDefender on-line scanning. Nothing to worry that much.
Does your update problem occurs just after logon or you can't even manually update avast (right clicking the 'a' blue icon > Update > Program update or only the virus database).

Maybe you can download servers.def file from here: http://download1.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def
Save it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup folder
Start the update again.
The best things in life are free.

60!

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »
Thank you Alanrf for your help,  The red flag came up again this AM?  The system cannot find the specified file? I did not check your ID, I'm old I guess I dont want to be nosey!  Thank you 60!

60!

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
Tech, I went to add/remove and couldnt find Bitdefender, so I went to tools and unstalled, hope that was the right thing to do?  Iam up to date, checked as your requested I did.  My concern is why do I receive the Red Flag saying the system cannot find the file specified?  Alanrf, said some ppl  will shake their heads and wonder how We made it this far.  Well, I have made it this far with the wonderful help from  people like you here in the forum!  I do not mean to be a pest, I come here everyday.  Usually with No ?'s.   Just read and make sure everything is going  on ok. I appreciate the Help very much.  Thank you 60!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »
Is there any indication as to what the specified file is ?
Check the avast Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Error, Warning or Notice sections and see if there is anything related to the problem (same time frame, etc.)

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »
Tech, I went to add/remove and couldnt find Bitdefender
Most probably it won't be there... is just an on-line scanner and not a local program installed in your computer.

so I went to tools and unstalled, hope that was the right thing to do?
What? Where? Which tools are you talking about?

My concern is why do I receive the Red Flag saying the system cannot find the file specified?
When? Just after you logon the computer? Or, at any time you try to update avast?

60!

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »
 :-X Well heck it isn't on my Add/remove anymore?? Avast that is?  I still have both icons in the tray?  Now what in the world have I done :@.. I did ck the files and yes there is stuff there..  Not sure if I should post it now or wait?  Shaking my head.  60!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 05:07:06 PM »
Please, 60!, write down in full words what is your problem right now... describe it...
I can't follow you exactly so I'm scared if I give you a wrong suggestion...

60!

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 05:15:44 PM »
Ok, bless ur heart.  everyones. I realize Iam confusing everyone.  sorry.  Ok, to start off last nite I received and update. Seemed everything was going good, rebooted, etc.  Then I get a red flag and says " Warnings Setiface update packages() has failed   An error has occured while attemping to update?!!  Now this has never happened before ???  Also as I mentioned I went to add and remove and Avast isnt even there anymore?  Iam starting to panic!!  60!