Author Topic: Trial License  (Read 3177 times)

Offline marc275

Trial License
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:15:15 AM »
So last night Avast offered me a 60 day trial for Cleanup. For whatever reasons the trial version for 0.00 AUD had to be purchased. I received order confirmation for the purchase of the trial license for 0.00 AUD and everything.

Not only did Cleanup mess up my computer with multiple services sleeping and not automatically waking up again as assured in the description, cleanup wouldn't start again to undo any changes. So I had to uninstall cleanup and after reinstallation I was prompted to purchase the trial version again. Another purchase for 0.00 AUD.

This morning I had to pay another bill and in bewilderment I noticed two positions that are pending. my credit card has been charged with 0.99 AUD twice.

So I paid 2 dollars for two purchases over 0 dollars. The computer was unusable after I "optimized" it. I'm still not sure all mess ups have been rectified.

Anyway, if that's how Avast wants to conduct their business, charging for a free trial version that doesn't even work properly, then after many years of purchasing multiple licenses for Internet Security my business relationship with Avast will come to an end after my licenses expire in two months.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Trial License
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
Hi marc275,

Firstly, I can assure you that you have not actually paid for the free trials. When a 60-day trial is initiated, an amount is authorised on the card to verify that the payment details are correct and the card is valid. However, our distributor will never actually uses this authorisation to claim the funds. Your card issuer will remove the transaction after a certain amount of time and there will no longer be any record of it existing in your online banking. The timescales for the transaction being removed vary depending on the card issuer.

The lack of clarity about these authorisations happens because card issuers typically treat authorisations as if they are claimed immediately, and display them in your online banking as actual transactions that have already taken place. They do this because avoids confusion with normal payments - instead showing a transaction at the time when funds were actually claimed (which can be several days after the payment was authorised), they show them immediately.

I have cancelled the auto-renewal subscriptions for both trials now so that you will not be automatically charged for paid subscriptions when the trials expire. I have requested emails confirming this from our distributor (Digital River), which you should receive today.

As regards the sleeping services not waking, I am sorry to hear that the application did not perform as promised. If you still have Cleanup installed, can I ask you to send the log files so that we can investigate what is causing the issue? You can send them by running the log collector utility from the path C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe Please add your email address there so that the files can be matched with your post.

Offline marc275

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me.

I noticed that my office applications don't start except Outlook. I ran the application as you asked me to. By the way, Clean Up UI doesn't start either.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
Hi marc275,

Thank you for running the application again. There have been some updates made in the latest version which should address the UI not starting correctly. In order to wake up the remaining Office applications, can I ask you to do the following:
  • Uninstall Cleanup Premium
  • Restart the PC - please make sure to use the "Restart" option rather than shutting down the PC and turning it on again
  • Download and install the Cleanup Beta application from here (to ensure you have no further issues with the application requesting you to sign up for a trial)
  • Open Cleanup > click the "All functions" icon on the right-hand side of the window (the nine squares in a grid) > click "Show background & startup programs" > click the "programs sleeping" heading > click the "Wake" link next to each sleeping program (please wait for Cleanup to update and remove the sleeping program from the list before "Waking" the next program).
  • Once all programs have been awoken, please check that they are operating normally, and then uninstall the Cleanup Beta application

Please let me know if you are still experiencing the issues with the Office applications after performing the above.

Offline jacsty

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:18:23 PM »
ja tam nie wierze w to że avast cleanup ma darmową wersje testową, sam fakt że trzeba podać dane karty żeby ta niby darmowa wersja próbna coś zrobiła już jest totalnym nieporozumieniem. jeśli jest darmowa wersja próbna to program po zakończeniu okresu próbnego program po prostu przestaje działać a nie jakiś tam wymuszanie prywatnych danych płatniczych bo bez tego nie dowiesz się czy ten program coś naprawi.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
Please post English here, else use the forum section for your language.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0