Author Topic: Omni Hub Bandwidth Usage  (Read 1573 times)

Offline J.Spiers

Omni Hub Bandwidth Usage
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:33:17 AM »
I installed the Omni Hub today after getting it. The installation process went smoothly. However, since I set it up, I have been having bandwidth issues. How much bandwidth should I expect the Omni Hub to use?

I have a Gigabit connection. On average, I run at about 860mbit/s when I do a speedtest to a site in Los Angeles from where I live on the AZ/CA border. When I setup the Omni Hub, I started noticing issues, both with my hard-wired computer's connection as well as the AppleTV in my room. I did a number of speed tests and the results range from 0.3mbit/s to 180mbit/s with an average of about 170mbit/s. That would mean the Omni Hub is limiting my overall bandwidth by nearly 600mbit/s...

It would be one thing if it was a constant speed, however, it fluctuates to a point where Netflix on the AppleTV buffers every few minutes, and that's only one person watching. We have 4 adults and 2 children in the house who may or may not be streaming at any given point. Any ideas?

Jess

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Omni Hub Bandwidth Usage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
Hi Jess,

thanks for that. The speeds you should be getting are in range of 400-450Mbps. Can you try testing against speedtest.net (if that's not what you were using) to see whether the numbers will change or not?

Filip

EDIT:
Hi again, we did some work on our side so we can actually move forward a bit more :)
We just released a package that will allow you to send us logs from your Omni box. This requires you to follow few steps:
  • Plug the Omni back in so it's connected to the Internet.
  • Let it be for ~60 minutes, it should automatically update (it should actually be done in under 20 minutes, but let's do 60 to be on the safe side).
  • Replicate the issue (try the speedtest.net, AppleTV etc).
  • Access this link from a Windows 10 PC (should also work on Android, not sure about other platforms at the moment) - http://avast-omni.local:8080/v1/send-logs - it should send us logs from your Omni, you should get "OK" as a response from the webpage.
  • Send me the serial number (SN) from the bottom of your Omni box so I can find the report.

After that we should be able to take a look at the logs and analyze further what might be the problem.
Thanks!

Filip
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:36:16 PM by Filip Havlicek »

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »
Hi Jess,

thanks for that. The speeds you should be getting are in range of 400-450Mbps. Can you try testing against speedtest.net (if that's not what you were using) to see whether the numbers will change or not?

Filip

EDIT:
Hi again, we did some work on our side so we can actually move forward a bit more :)
We just released a package that will allow you to send us logs from your Omni box. This requires you to follow few steps:
  • Plug the Omni back in so it's connected to the Internet.
  • Let it be for ~60 minutes, it should automatically update (it should actually be done in under 20 minutes, but let's do 60 to be on the safe side).
  • Replicate the issue (try the speedtest.net, AppleTV etc).
  • Access this link from a Windows 10 PC (should also work on Android, not sure about other platforms at the moment) - http://avast-omni.local:8080/v1/send-logs - it should send us logs from your Omni, you should get "OK" as a response from the webpage.
  • Send me the serial number (SN) from the bottom of your Omni box so I can find the report.

After that we should be able to take a look at the logs and analyze further what might be the problem.
Thanks!

Filip

Filip,

Awesome. Speedtest.net is generally what I use, though sometimes I use Speakeasy's speed test as a comparison. I will run through the tests today and give you the S/N from the Omni. I'll also power-cycle my modem and router for good measure. I'll just have to wait for a lull in the household activity to plug it back in. Everything we do is internet-based, including television.  ;D

Jess

Offline Jiri Horky

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
One more thing Jess, when at testing via speedtest.net (or possibly something else), please make sure you note the exact time you performed the test and let us it know together with the result - it really helps us to narrow down the problem.

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:15 AM »
Jiri,

Will do. I JUST plugged the Omni back in since everyone but my wife and I are asleep at this point. I did run a speedtest.net test a few minutes after I plugged it in again just to see and I'm averaging 80-120mbit/s. When I run the tests, I choose a server hosted by Spectrum (My ISP) in Los Angeles. The ones that it picks automatically are always in Mexico and not really representative of my actual speeds.  As of right now, the Omni's LED is solid white, so it hasn't started pulling the update yet.

As of right now, I have done no standard troubleshooting. I haven't tried to reset the Omni, nor have I power-cycled my router and modem. I wanted to see what the results were without doing what I normally would do for internet bandwidth issues.

I'm going to leave it plugged in all night and when I get up, I'll do another few speed tests and submit the report from the Omni, assuming that it has updated by then.

Offline Jiri Horky

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
Hi Jess,

thanks a lot for getting back. Could you please write down the exact time you run your speedtest.net experiment? Also, please try to send the support package as instructed by Filip Havlicek even now, the LED color is irrelevant for the update we are talking about (it is only relevant for the initial FW update).

Thanks!
Jirka H.

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Jiri and Filip,

I left the Omni plugged in while I slept. 4 Hours later, I'm up and running the tests. I have a few interesting things to report.

Here is the serial number for my Omni Hub: US-1917002864

First, the Omni was still displaying the solid white LED when I started testing.

The first test was done at 0516 GMT-7 (Pacific Time): 18ms Ping, 498.60mbit/s Down, 32.54mbit/s Up

Test 2: 0519 GMT-7: 18ms Ping, 205.53mbit/s Down, 33.90mbit/s Up
Test 3: 0521 GMT-7: 16ms Ping, 330.55mbit/s Down, 33.20mbit/s Up

At this point, I powered down my modem, router, and Omni. When the modem and router came back online I ran another SpeedTest without the Omni being powered on.

Test 4: 0530 GMT-7: 14ms Ping, 447.79mbit/s Down, 37.08mbit/s Up

Similar to the first test that was performed while the Omni was plugged in. It does look like I need to contact my ISP and find out why my connection is near half what it usually is. I'll do that today, however, there is a new issue with the Omni.

After this test, I plugged the Omni back in, gave it a few minutes to boot fully and then went to the Omni's Send Report local link. I received an error in Chrome stating that "This site can't be reached" and that the connection was refused. I'm not certain that the Omni received the update. Investigating further, I opened the Avast Omni Software and was immediately informed that the Omni was offline. Here I ran another test and took a screenshot of the results along with the Omni software screen. That screenshot is attached to this post.

So, in addition to needing to call my ISP today, should I perform a factory reset on my Omni hub since it doesn't seem to be communicating with the Avast Omni software anymore?

Jess

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
Hi Jess,

I have to apologize for the enthusiasm of the team in fixing your throughput issues - there were multiple ideas about a potential fix, but mixing them up resulted in some components on your Omni not running properly leading to the traffic not passing through the Omni, you weren't able to upload the logs to us and your Omni admin client reporting the hub as offline.

This leads me to believe that all the tests you did were actually without your Omni inspecting the traffic.

We restored everything back on our side, so after you plug your Omni back it should update again (in the mentioned up to 60 minutes) interval and you should see the Omni hub as online again in your admin client. This unfortunately also means that you should encounter the problems again. If that is still the case, which is highly likely, could you, please, follow the steps I mentioned previously - so reproducing the issue(s) (speedtest.net, Apple TV etc.) - and attempt to send us the logs again? (Note that you can't reboot the Omni hub between reproducing and sending the logs as the logs might be partly lost during the reboot.)

If it succeeds and you get the "OK", post here the rough time you sent the logs so it's easier for us to find.

Sorry again for the inconvenience all this is causing you and thank you for your support!

Filip

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 10:49:42 PM »
Filip,

Lol, no worries! This type of thing is exactly why I like to beta-test stuff. I love that the team was so enthusiastic to get this bug smashed. I agree with the Omni being bypassed, for the most part, when I did the testing this morning. It still was affecting things that immediately went away when I pulled its power cable, however, it was definitely improved over the initial install. I'll plug the Omni in again tonight, let it update, and run the tests again when I get up in the morning. =)

Jess

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
Jess,

thank you, fingers crossed everything works well this time around :)

Filip

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
Filip,

After leaving the Omni plugged in overnight again, I went to run the tests this morning. The first thing I tried to do was have the Omni send in the report. When I followed the link you posted above, the connection timed out. For now, I have it unplugged again. My ISP is sending a technician out today to investigate why I'm only getting half the bandwidth I should be in general. Once that's figured out, I'll plug the Omni back in and see what happens with its performance. The ISP issue may be part of what I'm seeing with speed and connectivity with the Omni online, however, it wouldn't account for why the connection times out when trying to go to connect to the Omni for the report over my LAN.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
Hi Jess,

how did it turn out with the technician? Back to 1Gbps in speedtests? :)

It looks like the resolving of the avast-omni.local address from the device you were using didn't work, but I tried on my three Windows 10 PCs at home and it worked from only two of them, so there definitely looks like there might be some Windows settings influencing this.

We are working on pushing out a new Android app that will contain a simple "button" to send logs from the Omni hub, but I don't think it will be released today, so something we can try instead (and should definitely work) is to replace the avast-omni.local address from the link with the IP address of the Omni hub - so it's going to be http://IP_ADDRESS:8080/v1/send-logs .

Now since I don't know the IP address of your Omni hub in your home network, I can't give you the direct link, but can tell you how to discover the IP address after you plug the hub back in. As far as I know you are running the Omni app also on one of your Windows PCs. There's a feature called "Wi-Fi Inspector" in there (attaching a screenshot how to get to it) which scans your network and among other things displays IP addresses of the devices on your network. So if you scan your network and then click on the Avast Omni device, you'll see the IP address of it (example also attached as a screenshot). If you then replace the IP_ADDRESS in the link above with the actual IP address and go to it in your browser, it should definitely work.

You can, of course, try sending the logs first to see whether it's working. If it is, you can reproduce the issues you are having then send another batch that might help us with debugging.

We are also in parallel working on a fix to an issue we discovered in our lab that might also help with your speedtest issues - if we manage we might push it to your Omni hub today after it's plugged in, but can't make any promises about that :)

Filip

EDIT: OK, seems like we have a potential fix for you :) Could you leave your Omni hub plugged again overnight (PST)? We'll need to push the update manually and we need the hub online for that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:05:01 PM by Filip Havlicek »

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:08 AM »
Hey Filip

Sorry for the delayed response. It's been a hectic week, and it's only Monday. After two new cable modems, my speeds are better but still not what they should be. When the Omni is plugged in, it goes right down the drain still so I've at least ruled out my connection as being some of the cause. Because of the issues the hub is causing with my bandwidth, I'm having a hard time getting a good time to plug it in. I've informed the family that the hub is getting plugged in tonight at 9:00pm Pacific. It will be plugged in all night until about 5am Pacific.

As for the logs, I MIGHT have an Android phone laying about that isn't being used. For the most part, we're an iPhone family (Once upon a time, I worked for Apple as an iOS and Mac chat advisor so I have quite a bit of Apple tech in the house.) I can get the IP address that's been assigned to the hub once I plug it in. In fact, I'm going to reserve the next IP address that my router assigns to it specifically for the Hub so it doesn't get a new one every time the DHCP lease renews. I think it'll help simplify things during this test. =)

So, TL;DR: Hub is getting plugged in tonight at 9PM Pacific. When I get up at 5AM, I'll find the IP for it and attempt to connect and send the logs. I'll also dig up the Google Pixel 2 I'm not using and prep it for testing with the app there.

I'll also make sure I'm more diligent about checking the forums EVERY day. =)

Jess

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Filip,

I was a little late plugging the Omni back in, however it is up and running and will be for the next 4 or 5 hours. I was able to access and send the logs via the device IP address rather than the host-name as well. I sent an initial log right around 12:43am Pacific time. From there, I ran a few speed tests. I took screenshots of the results and will post the Speedtest.Net results history screenshot here. The Omni seems to be working in cycles where I get good speeds for a few minutes, then it dips down to 170mbit/s and slowly climbs back up, then I will lose all connectivity for a moment. From there, it goes back to 400+mbit/s and the cycle starts again. The last couple of results in this screenshot are from when the tech from my ISP was here trying to figure out why I'm not getting near what I should in general.

Jess

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
Filip,

An hour and a half after plugging the Omni back in and I have next to no connectivity. To make this post, I had to disconnect my iPad from WiFi and use its cellular connection. I have sent 3 or 4 logs from the Omni in the last hour or so at various degrees of connectivity. One thing that I have noticed is that when it takes a dive, Speedtest and Speakeasy’s speed tests both give Socket Errors on either the upload test or download test. At 1:05am Pacific I did a test on Speakeasy.net’s site. I got 133mbit/s down and 24.8mbit/s up. I immediately did another test on Speakeasy and got an Upload Test socket error.

Also, when that speakeasy test failed, I ran one through the Speedtest.net app on my iPad while it was still connected to WiFi. This screenshot is the result from that. In this screenshot, you can see what kinds of speeds I was getting over WiFi on the iPad the other day when the tech was here working on things.

Jess