Author Topic: Long updating time XP SP3  (Read 6692 times)

Offline alicia.rose

Long updating time XP SP3
« on: July 13, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
Updating 'Engine and virus definitions' is taking so long - XP SP3.

Is Avast still protecting XP SP3? I know there are no new programs, but previously read I could still do the above.

It's been 2 and a half hours now and is still on Step 1/2 File downloaded. Does eventually complete.

This has been going on for a while, but has never happened in the past.

Hard drive activity light has been full on throughout.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:10:11 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Long updating time XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
Updating virus and engine definitions is taking so long - XP SP3.

Are you still protecting XP SP3? I know there are no new programs, but previously read I could still do the above.

It's been 2 and a half hours now and is still on Step 1/2 File downloaded. Does eventually complete.

This has been going on for a while, but has never happened in the past.

Hard drive activity light has been full on throughout.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

What version of Avast do you have installed? Version 18.8 and older are used on XP and Vista

I assume you have read here:https:https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

Edit to apply corrected link.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:51:59 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
I am using 18.5

I cannot see any relevant information after clicking on that link?

Still going strong.............

Thank you for replying.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:27:01 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
If you check my signature below my posts you will see I'm using avast! free 18.5.2342 on my winXP Pro SP3 computer ( reverted to 18.5 because of problems in releases after that).

My VPS is up to date, what are you doing Manual VPS Update from the UI or is this a VPS Auto Update ?
Have you tried downloading the - Full virus definitions update, https://www.avast.com/download-update - ensure you download the correct one for Avast VPS update for versions 12+, 172 MB.

Save it to your hard disk and run it when complete.

The link given in the last post is screwed (sorry about technical term), this one should work https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0, but it is unlikely to help with your issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
My bad David.
Not sure how that happened. ::)

I've edited/corrected my original post

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Thank you for helping me.

I use manual update.

It went on for over 5 hours!! Had to go out and leave the computer on. Something very wrong. I'm now feeling wary of starting another update. Perhaps I need to remove / reinstall or repair Avast.

avast! free 18.5.2342

Virus definitions
Current version is now 190713-2
Release date 13/07/2019 11:29:28
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:51:20 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »
I leave VPS Updates on Auto as recommended in/by the default settings.  If you disable that (e.g. set to manual) you also lose the Streaming Updates function also.

Effectively you are leaving your system a little less protected as you have old virus signatures. 

The current VPS version is 190713-4, as you can see from the time of your manual update there have been another two VPS Updates.

The longer you leave your manual update, the greater the difference between the VPS you have and the Latest VPS.  At some point Avast would determine it better/easier to download the full database.  If that were to happen then it would most certainly be quicker (based on your experience) to manually down the full database as a single file and then execute the update.

EDIT: Typo
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:50:01 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:50:17 PM »
Thank you for the info DavidR.

'Enable streaming updates' is ticked?

I always do manual updates - have never had this issue before, normally quite quick.

?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 01:49:24 AM »
It doesn't matter if enable the streaming updates option is ticked if you have VPS Updates set to Manual.

I'm sure previously in the the UI it wouldn't allow the Streaming Updates to be checked if VPS updates weren't set to Automatic.  I'm also fairly sure it used to give a warning about streaming updates if you unchecked the Automatic VPS updates.

In my view Avast need to stop this being allowed as streaming updates deliver small updates a couple of KBs of updates when available.

In my first image, you will see one streaming update folder 19071304_stream, I'm making an assumption here in thinking that you won't have any _stream sub-folder/s in the defs folder ?

In all honesty I can't see the point of having a Resident AV if you aren't going to let get the latest virus signatures when they become available.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 02:08:27 AM »
"In all honesty I can't see the point of having a Resident AV if you aren't going to let get the latest virus signatures when they become available."

So why have 'manual update' as an option if it makes the AV not worth having?

I have an old (in computer terms) computer with low RAM.........performance is significantly effected when Avast kicks in (computer sometimes freezes) - I have to be in control of it.

Something I've noticed.............used to see 'Nitro' (high speed) when updating - not seen that recently.

'Connection not established' showing at present (please see attachment) - don't know if that means much.

I receive Avast emergency updates.

Appreciate your help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:59:05 AM by alicia.rose »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »
The setting 'Manual Update' stems from a very long time back, for as long as I can recall and having used Avast for 15 years, when dialup was very common.  Avast was also much smaller, less functionality, etc. and the default settings back then were different.  The VPS Updates were set at 'Ask when an update is available'  Notify, commonly there were only 2 a day, but often there were more.

Even the Program Updates if memory serves me well had the same setting.  There were no streaming updates and there were no Emergency Updates.  The Emergency Updates are completely separate from the Program and VPS Updates, they don't rely on your settings and it is a scheduled task.  This makes a connection to check for the presence of an emergency update, if it is present it will be downloaded and installed.

You can monitor the defs sub folder and see if you are getting any streaming updates (image1), I rather doubt that you are.  Inside one of these stream sub folders you can see the frequency of these very small streaming updates (image2).  These combined with your last VPS Update keeps the virus database fully up to date and I believe may even speed the actual VPS Update download.

VPS Updates can also deliver engine updates and or bug fixes to save having to do a full program update.

Much has changed in the world of malware and AVs have also changed to meet this changing threat.

Obviously it is your system and your choice.

Offline alicia.rose

AVAST TEAM - Please help! - Re: Long updating time XP SP3
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
AVAST TEAM - Please help!

Thank you for the information DavidR.

What does VPS stand for?

I will look into streaming updates later.

The manual update option is still available - Avast must think it ok. I need to be doing nothing else with the computer when updating takes place otherwise browser / computer becomes unresponsive.

Right now I need to solve the updating problem.

I can't update again while it is taking 3- 5 hours.

I will have to remove Avast.

Avast Team - why am I suddenly having this problem please - updating time is usually good?

Why am I no longer seeing the (high speed) word 'Nitro' when updating?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:08:34 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 04:24:50 PM »
VPS as far as I'm aware going back a long time = Virus Pattern Signatures, essentially the virus database.

As I have said I believe being on manual updates could well have an impact depending on the time between updates and how many updates there have been.  There will come a point (unknown to me) when the program would decide it better/easier to do a full VPS update.

What are you seeing in the Update screen, I do see vpsnitro in the update path (image attached).  Nitro doesn't necessarily mean High Speed, Nitro was a name given to a new incarnation of Avast (I believe that started with Avast 18.x).

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »
Thank you for your continuing help DavidR.

I saw Nitro previously described as this:

"What is Nitro? Our newest, high-speed version of Avast.

Our customers said they wanted a lightweight Avast, so we happily introduce the Nitro Update to Avast Antivirus."

As previously stated, I am now seeing 'Connection not established'.

"As I have said I believe being on manual updates could well have an impact depending on the time between updates and how many updates there have been."

Yes, definitely, I have seen this.................

But nothing has changed my end - for years I have been updating quickly with manual update - why is it now taking hours - excessive amounts of time - abnormal!

I can't use Avast if this continues.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:48:38 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
Curious,Have you tried a Clean Install of your Avast Installation?