Author Topic: Firefox v68.x hanging on start. Cannot end task via task manager.  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: Firefox v68.x hanging on start. Cannot end task via task manager.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
You should not have any problems with if you follow the instructions in that first article.

The important thing is to backup the Registry first if you have to edit it. I think it explains it but in simple terms you just type in "regedit" in the Run box and at the top of the window which appears click on the File tab. That will offer you several options, the one you want to use is Export. That simply backs up the Registry to a location of choice. Name the file: Registry Backup with the date.

When you click on Save that's what it will do. It should take takes 10 -30 secs depending on your system. There's no progress bar, just the whirly gig cursor to indicate something is happening and you get no confirmation of the backup having been made when it is finished so check you have a .reg file at that location afterwards. It should be several hundred MB in size.

If something goes wrong with your later Registry editing you just reverse the process, instead of Export you use Import and that file will be used to return the Registry to its previous state.   

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:46:30 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
Hi,
we contacted mozilla firefox team to help us resolve this issue but we neither mozilla is able to reproduce it !
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567144
We really need a memory dump or a remote session to move at least one step forward.

Offline wizzleteats

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
As I said previously, I'm really not comfortable with making changes to my registry.  I'm not really that knowledgeable with the inner workings of the operating system.   I appreciate all your efforts to resolve this problem but as it doesn't seem like a solution is forthcoming, I've removed Avast from my PC and switched to Windows Security Essentials.  Firefox is once again working with Avast removed from my PC.

Offline Novels

• English Novels
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
Same problem, thanks

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
Hi,
you dont need necessary modify windows registry, just open run dialog and type sysdm.cpl , choose advanced tab and select complete memory dump. Steps 1..6 described in https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/111474 . Only when Complete memory dump is missing you need to work with windows registry.