Author Topic: Avast Web Shield casues SSL Security warning for some site.  (Read 1047 times)

Offline NielsDalhoff

I found that Avast does some SSL-offloading, that causes the browser to warn about unsecure connections.

This is not common for all sites, but some.
If you access https://cnn.com and view the certificate .. is shows that the issuer of the certificat is "avast! Web/Mail Shield Root"
But if you access an online banksite the cerficate has the correct issuer "GlobalSign Extended Validation CA - SHA256 - G3" and the browser does not throw an error.

Why does the Web Shield intercept and inject its own certificate, on that I expect to be at secure connection between the browser an the websit that i'm visiting?
I want to trust my connection, so when it it encrypted with a certificat issued to the site i'm visiting, it is this certificate that is used all the way, not have Web Shield intecept as a "man in the middle attack".
Second, how and why is there a difference for some sites and not others. How does Web Shield determine if and when not to inject its own certificat?