Author Topic: New Mac, same problem. Infection Blocked with Safari launch  (Read 1986 times)

Offline KiLL CraZy

I been having this problem for 2 years now and got a new Mac and I am still getting these pop ups everytime I launch Safari. Can anyone help me out as to how to fix/get rid of these? I haven't been to that vampire website in years and not sure what else to do to make these stop.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: New Mac, same problem. Infection Blocked with Safari launch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »
Hello,

you are a saint to be able to endure this for so long :)

It is quite hard to say what is the issue. First try to clear your browsing history in Safari (eg. https://macpaw.com/how-to/delete-browsing-history-on-mac-os-x ). Browsers love to remember pages you have visited and access them either on startup or when you type a website url to the url box. This may have been synchronised through your Apple ID to the new computer.

Second cause would be some kind of addon in Safari; but I am not sure if this also synchronises across computer. Please check if there is something suspicious.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline KiLL CraZy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:41:31 PM »
I followed your instructions and cleared all history/cookies in Safari through that program I downloaded from the link and I even did it manually and unfortunately I'm still getting that Infection blocked when I restart Safari... This is ridiculous. The only extension I have installed is ABP (ad blocker)

Any other recommendations?

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
Hello,

the fact is, Safari browser DOES connect to the mp3vampire.com page. This page is considered a phishing page so Avast reports it. Aside from what I have said, I do not know what to recommend to prevent the browser from checking the page; clearing history usually helps.

To prevent the popups, you can add HTTP exception to Web Shield mp3vampire.com : https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Mac-Security-scan-exclusions , part Exclude websites from scanning. This will force Avast WebShield to ignore that page and let the connection through.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline KiLL CraZy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »
Holy crap! This actually worked! I mean I know it's not the best work around but It seems to have stopped those pop ups every time I launch Safari now.  Thank you so much for the tip! As you know this has been driving me crazy for a long long time lol