Author Topic: OnAccess-Scanner freezes system every few seconds  (Read 3987 times)

AllesMeins

OnAccess-Scanner freezes system every few seconds
« on: July 30, 2006, 08:41:12 PM »
I installed Avast two days ago. Since then i had to notice a strange behavior. Every few seconds the OnAccess-Scanner freezes my machine for 1-2 seconds (the CPU-Usage jumps to 100% and everything else - including the cursor stops working). Deactivating the scanner fixes the problem, but that isn't a real solution.

Athlon 64 3000+
1024 MB RAM
Win 200 SP4
One 80 GB IDE Harddrive
2x160GB SATA Raid

Any ideas, what might cause this problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: OnAccess-Scanner freezes system every few seconds
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:50:22 PM »
Did you or do you have another AV on that system?
If so, that will likely be the culprit.
Make sure it is removed completely before installing avast!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:10:18 PM »
Do you have Thunderbird running as your mail client when these "freezes" happen?

You can also check the name of the last file scanned in the Standard Shield and see if the same file name is there when the freeze occurs.  Some folks have experienced issues with large logging files being frequently accessed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:17:00 PM by alanrf »

AllesMeins

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 11:13:14 PM »
No, I've no other "security"-software running. No firewall, no anti-virus. I deinstalled my old anti-virus program before installing avast, and as far as i can tell it was removed completely.

I'm using Seamonkey-Mail, so it might be pretty close to thunderbird. I'm not sure, if the freezing only occurs, when seamonkey is running.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:41:16 AM »
Assuming SeaMonkey is similar to Thunderbird then to make sure it is not involved it would be a good idea to check that your trash folders are emptied and that all the mail folders have been compacted to really remove deleted messages.

Have you noticed which process is recording the high CPU utiliztion in the Task Manager? 

When you mention the OnAccess scanner I am guessing you are talking about turning off all OnAcess protection. Have you tried turning off the individual providers in avast to see if you can identify one that, when turned off, stops the freezes?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:48:10 AM »
What other av was on the system?
If it was Norton, use the search option on this board to find out how to really remove everything from it.
The add/remove in control panel will leave many things behind.

AllesMeins

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:49:39 PM »
I think i found the reason. It seems to be the "Instant-Messaging-Scanner" scanning an 8MB Trillian XML-Logfile. Strange thing is, i can open, edit and save far bigger files without Avast! freezing my system. Why does it make such a difference, when the IM-Scanner checks the file instad of the "normal" scanner, when opening the file the "normal" way?
Any idea how to handle this problem without deleting the corresponding logfile?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
You could add it to the exclusions lists, Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stageman

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »
Assuming SeaMonkey is similar to Thunderbird then to make sure it is not involved it would be a good idea to check that your trash folders are emptied and that all the mail folders have been compacted to really remove deleted messages.

Have you noticed which process is recording the high CPU utiliztion in the Task Manager? 

When you mention the OnAccess scanner I am guessing you are talking about turning off all OnAcess protection. Have you tried turning off the individual providers in avast to see if you can identify one that, when turned off, stops the freezes?

I am having the same issues. My computer freezes/pauses everytime I download or open a message with Thunderbird. I've compacted my mail boxes and that hasn't helped at all. The freeze problem is especially bad with downloading my gmail to a local folder.

System info:
Intel Centrino 2.0Ghz
1GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2