Author Topic: Win32:Small-BFU [trj]  (Read 10517 times)

e.g.

Win32:Small-BFU [trj]
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
hi folks,

recently, avast anti virus ( home edition ) found a virus in my computer when i scan all my files.

File Name : Howifer.exe

File ID : 4

Virus Description: Win32:Small-BFU [trj]

i moved the said virus to chest..... as recommended. what is this virus ? what should i do now ??????

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Win32:Small-BFU [trj]
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
The name already tells you what it is. It is a trojan.

In computers, a Trojan horse is a program in which malicious or harmful code is contained inside apparently harmless programming or data in such a way that it can get control and do its chosen form of damage, such as ruining the file allocation table on your hard disk. In one celebrated case, a Trojan horse was a program that was supposed to find and destroy computer viruses. A Trojan horse may be widely redistributed as part of a computer virus.

The term comes from Greek mythology about the Trojan War, as told in the Aeneid by Virgil and mentioned in the Odyssey by Homer. According to legend, the Greeks presented the citizens of Troy with a large wooden horse in which they had secretly hidden their warriors. During the night, the warriors emerged from the wooden horse and overran the city.

Well, the malware is in the chest now and can't do any harm.
Checkout this webboard and read the manual on avast to see what the chest is and how it  works.

Things like this have been asked/answerd many times before here.
Please use the search option before asking.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:55:05 PM »
A google serach for Win32:Small will return more information on the family, but it is often a trojan downloader (downloads more malware) and or a trojan backdoor (opens a backdoor into your system, through which others can control your system). This is just one of those hits http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trdlsmal.shtml.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

e.g.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not visiting the "search option" first before posting the subject, specially asking for a "well known things". I am new and don't know much about the world of computers and stuff. Now it is clear to me the function of "CHEST" and what to do with the files within. And what is this Win32:Small-BFU [trj] all about.

I have another question.......... Is "a-squared or "ewido" trojan removers compatible with " AVAST" anti virus ? please help !

THANKS & MORE POWER

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:44:38 PM »
I have another question.......... Is "a-squared or "ewido" trojan removers compatible with " AVAST" anti virus ? please help !
Fully compatible. No trouble  8)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »

No problem with either and avast, the better of the two is ewido if you have winXP I would go with that one.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »
No problem with either and avast, the better of the two is ewido if you have winXP
I think this is not true anymore... a-squared is fully compatible and it's becoming better and better with XP.
The update rating is excelent...  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »
Well I haven't tried a-squared for some time now and the previous frequency of false positives stopped me recommending it for a time.

But I still believe ewido can remove more difficult embedded code-injection trojans. But as I say I haven't used it for some time just a perception.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 05:02:19 AM »
Well I haven't tried a-squared for some time now and the previous frequency of false positives stopped me recommending it for a time.
Enjoy the new GUI, better detection and features of the last version  8)

e.g.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 02:28:30 AM »
Hi DavidR & Tech,

Thanks for the info about "a-squared"&" ewido". Since both are highly recommended, i'll try both one at a time to test it for myself. They are both freeware..... I'm from the Philippines and a $29 or so is very hard to earn.

Once again thankyou so much and hoping for more help and info.........

MORE POWER ! :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 02:46:32 PM »
Your welcome, glad we could help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »
Since both are highly recommended, i'll try both one at a time to test it for myself. They are both freeware
The freeware versions of both can be used at the same time (without residents) and they won't conflict each other or with avast...  ;)

e.g.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »
Good Day !

I'm still undecided what to install : "a-squared" or "ewido". I happen to read on this forum about "spyware terminator". After some research, I found that "spyware terminator" has a built-in AV ( clamAV ). Now my questins are :

1. Is "spyware terminator" conflicts with AVAST AV ?

2. Can I disable clamAV when I download "spyware terminator" ?

I just want to make sure before installing........ I'm still in the process of learning about computers and stuff.

Hoping for more help...........

MORE POWER !

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 01:38:08 AM »
1. Not if you don't enable clamAV integration.
2. I believe you have to select the option to integrate clamAV, which isn't enabled by default.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 02:23:31 AM »
  :)  Hi e.g. :

I feel it is too soon to be recommending "Spyware
    Terminator" as on a par with either Ewido or
    A- squared, since it was only "de-listed" by the
    spywarewarrior site on 3/ 9/ 06 ; "probation" should
    be at least 9 months, if not a year .
    Recently saw a post on an antiSPYWARE forum where
    one of the Experts recommended uninstalling it because
    of their prior track record .