Author Topic: Reverting back to Stable Release ASB (Resolved)  (Read 12148 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Reverting back to Stable Release ASB (Resolved)
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »
Well, I thought it would be fairly straight forward, to uninstall the ASB Beta Channel version, run ASB Cleanup, reboot and download installer from the Avast Website for Stable Version.
So I did that but when I checked 'About Avast Secure Browser' it still reflects a beta version.
Version 75.0.1447.81 (Official Build) (beta) (32-bit)

Shouldn't the "beta" reference be gone?

Went through the same process twice with the same results.
Am I missing something ???

Attached Screenshot
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:47:25 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Reverting back to Stable Release ASB
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:39:24 AM »
I don't use ASB since I can't use it on all my systems.

Isn't the ASB is now meant to be a stand alone product if you don't have Avast installed ?

Just speculating here, if you have Avast installed, isn't ASB somewhat integrated into Avast Free/Pro/AIS/Premier for greater protection, if so is there something you might have to do in Avast AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:48:13 AM »

Isn't the ASB is now meant to be a stand alone product if you don't have Avast installed ?

Just speculating here, if you have Avast installed, isn't ASB somewhat integrated into Avast Free/Pro/AIS/Premier for greater protection, if so is there something you might have to do in Avast AV.

To tell you the truth your guess is as good as mine but I don't think so.
I'm hoping that ondrejz or Will might respond.
Just seems odd to me.
I downloaded from Website, it has to be my system or everyone downloading from Website would be getting a beta.

Edit post
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:04:44 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:02:33 AM »

To tell you the truth your guess is as good as mine but I don't think so.
I'm hoping that ondrejz or Will might respond.
Just seems odd to me.
I downloaded from Website, it has to be my system or everyone downloading from Website would be getting a beta.

Edit post

Did you check the version/build number of the downloaded file ?
That would be the only way you check if it were a beta build that was downloaded.

Another possible way would be checking any issues that you may have been getting on the beta (if that was the reason you went back) are still present.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 03:21:06 AM »
Thanks David

I did as I was going through the process and (think I saw) the version builds were both 6.2.0.1373

No troubles with the beta, I was just wanting a stable version on one machine and beta on the other to have a reference for both when I'm reading through posts that mention either one. ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:30:54 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:10:01 AM »

If you want to switch from beta to the stable channel, then please uninstall the Avast Secure Browser Beta version and install the latest stable version from the official website: https://www.avast.com/secure-browser
Keep in mind that if you use Avast Antivirus Beta, you always get Avast Secure Browser Beta.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »

If you want to switch from beta to the stable channel, then please uninstall the Avast Secure Browser Beta version and install the latest stable version from the official website: https://www.avast.com/secure-browser
Keep in mind that if you use Avast Antivirus Beta, you always get Avast Secure Browser Beta.

Interesting, seems strange if you have to effectively uninstall everything, avast first (presumably, to break that linkage) and then the Beta ASB.

I'm not sure I like that idea much as you could temporarily be without protection (even even if for a short time) unless you do things in the right order. 

Download and save the avast off-line installation file for regular release version of avast premier and the uninstall utility.
Do a clean install of Avast Premier.
Uninstall ASB beta, reboot.
Now you should be unlinked and be able to download the regular release of ASB and install.

This assumes that you had the beta version of avast premier installed, if not then Avast need to do some testing on the removal of ASB beta.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
Thanks David and Asyn, appreciated. :)

I guess the post from Asyn with ondrejz instructions clears up my confusion on the issue.

Ondrejz
"If you want to switch from beta to the stable channel, then please uninstall the Avast Secure Browser Beta version and install the latest stable version from the official website: https://www.avast.com/secure-browser
Keep in mind that if you use Avast Antivirus Beta, you always get Avast Secure Browser Beta."

Resolution: Make sure I use the Stable version of ASB on the machine I have the Stable version of Premier installed.
I had it the other way around, tried to install Stable ASB on the machine that's running Premier beta.
Agree with David, definitely, could/would cause issues/confusion for the everyday user if not aware.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:46:11 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »
I guess the post from Asyn with ondrejz instructions clears up my confusion on the issue.
You're welcome. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Reverting back to Stable Release ASB (Resolved)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
<snip>

You're welcome, glad that you now have it resolved.