Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)
Create a Mobile Hotspot using Windows 10
(1/2) > >>
Dean90:
Hi there,
I'm trying to extend my WiFi range by using my PC as a mobile hotspot.
These seems easy enough using Widows 10 as its just a question of turning the mobile hotspot on.
My phone can detect the hotspot and connect with no problem but comes up with a message saying the internet may be down.
After a bit of trial and error I've found that if I shut down the Avast firewall then I can connect to the hotspot and access the internet.
Does anyone know what I need to do to allow access past the firewall?
The only clue I have is that when I turn the hotspot on then "Host Process for Windows Services" pops up as being blocked under "Apps recently managed by your Firewall". I've tried to use my meager knowledge to unblock this but it still comes up as blocked.
Can some one help please.
Pondus:
Is your firewall network profilen in puplic or private mode?

If not already done, try setting it to private and reboot ..... did that work?

Setting up Firewall Application Rules in Avast Antivirus
https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Antivirus-Firewall-Application-Rules

=================================================================

NOTE:The Network profiles control the settings which determine how strictly Firewall protects your PC.

Private: a lower level of security suitable for when your PC is connected to a trusted network such as your home or work network.
This profile enables better connectivity, and permits all communication within the network.

Public: a higher level of security suitable for when your PC is connected to a public network such as in a cafe or airport.
Because public networks present greater security risks, no incoming communication is permitted when this profile is set.

=================================================================

Dean90:
Sorry for the delay in responding.
The network was set to public so I've set it to private, shut down the computer, left it a couple of minutes and resarted it again.
I've confirmed the setting still said private but it still not letting me connect to the wifi. The Wifi network is showing on my phone but when it tries to connect it just says 'Internet may not be available'.
When the fire wall was shut off, I could connect to the wifi network without any problem.
Pondus:
maybe some of the info posted here by @BWith can help

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227130.msg1505540#msg1505540

schmidthouse:
Not to make to fine a point of it and may make no difference but a "Shutdown" is not the same as a "Reboot" ;)
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version