Author Topic: Free version first scan Macintosh  (Read 2309 times)

Offline jaybeeare

Free version first scan Macintosh
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »
Based on reviews, I helped a friend install Avast Free on an iMac. The initial scan found hundreds of files that could not be read and two labeled as "infections."

One file was found in the virus chest.

1 - I believe the file in the "chest" was the Avast installer because the files have today's date.

2 - If it is the Avast installer, can that be responsible for the "2 files?"

3 - Why would so many files be unable to be read? I know this doesn't mean that they are a "problem," but it is concerning. On my PC, I don't get that kind of an error message.

4 - How do I delete files from "the chest?"

Thank you for your assistance - J. Ross

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free version first scan Macintosh
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »
I would suggest that this be posted in the Avast Mac Security forum.

The fact that a file/s can't be read isn't an indication that they are infected or suspect, just that they can't be read.  But as far as I'm aware there should be a reason given why they couldn't be read.  But I don't use the
Avast Mac Security product.

There is no rush to delete files in the virus chest, they can do no harm there, they could be periodically scanned if after a reasonable time.  If there has been no adverse impact in them being send to the chest and are still considered infected, it should be reasonably safe to remove them.

However as I mentioned I don't use the Avast Mac Security product, hence the guidance to post in the Avast Mac Security sub-forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 12:19:27 AM »
3 - Why would so many files be unable to be read? I know this doesn't mean that they are a "problem," but it is concerning. On my PC, I don't get that kind of an error message.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=222793.msg1482054#msg1482054

Offline Cloudface1

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
I’ve noticed my scan progress bar (as well as the number indicator) reaches 24% in Avast Security, but then stays there for several hours while continuing to apparently scan more items.  It then crashes. I uninstalled, then updated via the Avast website. Problem repeated. Just did so again via beta channel. Third time’s the charm? I have a Mac Pro (late 2013) with a 3.7 xeon, 32 gb, d300 2 GB graphics, running Catalina 10.15. And the beta OS may be the real problem, but I thought it worth mentioning. I’m running 13.13 right now with virus def. 19072804.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »
I’ve noticed my scan progress bar (as well as the number indicator) reaches 24% in Avast Security, but then stays there for several hours while continuing to apparently scan more items.  It then crashes. I uninstalled, then updated via the Avast website. Problem repeated. Just did so again via beta channel. Third time’s the charm? I have a Mac Pro (late 2013) with a 3.7 xeon, 32 gb, d300 2 GB graphics, running Catalina 10.15. And the beta OS may be the real problem, but I thought it worth mentioning. I’m running 13.13 right now with virus def. 19072804.
Hello,
writing a progress bar is not easy, unless you analyse whole disk, it is only an approximation of progress, it is normal for it to stop if eg. certain directory contains a lot of files. However counter of files scanned files should increase (unless you have a huge archive file there).
Please note that we do not officially support 10.15 yet. If you encountered crashes, please send us support package while mentioning this thread (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file) so that we can check what is wrong.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:04:05 AM by ondrej.kolacek »