Author Topic: system thread exception not handled BSOD (different one)  (Read 1349 times)

Offline carlosdanielflores

system thread exception not handled BSOD (different one)
« on: July 26, 2019, 02:17:01 AM »
I know this was a very known issue in the past related with the Windows anniversary update, however it is happening to me now and there are slightly differences.

First some context.
Building a new system.
MoBo: Asus Strix X399-e
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2790WX
GPU: Gygabyte GTX 1070
RAM: Corsair Vengance CMK64GX4M8A2133C13 (64GB)
Windows version: 1903

System is perfectly stable, no issues whatsoever until Avast Internet Security was installed

First time around I proceed with the installation and a couple of seconds right after finishing the system crashes and I get the BSOD with the "system thread exception not handled" code.

I let the system gather information but apparently it was frozen, I was playing a video and the sound was still dragging while the BSOD was showing, and the fans were ramping up a little. I waited but for a while and nothing happened. So I hit the reset botton on the front panel of my PC.

Upon restart I get pass the enter BIOS screen on to the windows booting screen showing the message "preparing to repair PC". Then it shows the Atomatic Repair couldn´t repair your PC. Log file: F:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt (My windows root directory is not in F: by the way)

Not knowing anything about this and fearing the worst I flat out made a full reinstallation of Windows with the Advanced options showing in Automatic Repair. And thus didn´t recovered the Log file.

After a little research on the issue I found a lot of information but at this point nothing that actually resolved my issue.

Once I reinstalled Windows everything was working normal again without issues. I tried to install all the windows updates but I didn´t went a head and updated all the updated drivers aside from what windows already installs.

So I try for the second time to install avast, and sure enough the exact same problem shows up again. I let the BSOD gather information, (nothing else running this time so no sound) but after a couple of minutes with nothing happening and only the fans ramping up I figured it was frozen again. So this time I hit the power button until it shuts down and turned On again, only to go to the same process as before, Automatic Repair screen comes up saying it couldn´t repair the PC.

This time around with the help of some online how to procedure I was able to log in in safe mode with networking, and once in there I got the log file and also uninstalled both avast secure browser and avast internet security. I didn´t use avast clear, I just went into control panel and uninstalled both from there. I restarted the PC and "voila!" no more issues again (didn´t had to reinstall windows), it has been login into Windows without any problems, PC has been running for almost 48 hours without problems, I have installed other apps like Photoshop, CGI software, icue, Geforce experience, in some cases heavy applications, and no problems. I have run tests with cinebench 20 and now issues at all. I even have run Hwinfo and Corsair Icue for pc monitoring (which don´t play well together) and still no problems.

Log file mentions that aswvmm.sys file is corrupt and it also says something that I haven´t been able to figure out as well. First that windows directory is F:\Windows (which is not, it should be C:) and also that the corrupted file is in: f:\windows\system32\drivers\aswvmm.sys which it also has the wrong drive letter.

So finally after looking around the web I haven´t been able to pinpoint a solution for this specific problem, I also send a ticket to support but I haven´t received any response or acknowledge that the report was received. Maybe I sent it through the wrong way.

Can anyone provide some insight in this issue?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: system thread exception not handled BSOD (different one)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »
Can you please provide a memory dump? It should be present in C:\Windows\memory.dmp. You can upload it to Avast FTP server: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/FTP-file-upload.
Thank you

Offline carlosdanielflores

Re: system thread exception not handled BSOD (different one)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
Hello, thank you for your reply.

I´m afraid there is no memory dump file. I don´t know if this has to do with the fact that I had to do a hard reset /shutdown. Or with me going in safe mode an uninstalled avast.

Is there any other information I can provide?

Thanks!