Author Topic: Offline Devices re-discovered by Omni Software  (Read 598 times)

Offline J.Spiers

Offline Devices re-discovered by Omni Software
« on: July 28, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
I have a number of devices, including my old router and two google mini speakers that the Omni software keeps "discovering" after I remove them. They have never been connected to my new router, so I'm not sure where it's discovering them from. Every time I try to remove the devices, it re-discovers them within minutes. I'd like to clear them out, but it seems like the Omni Software / Hub are pulling the network names from a cache somewhere. In the attached screenshot, the top three devices have never been connected to this router in any way. There needs to be a system to purge offline devices that have never / haven't connected to the network in a certain amount of time.

Jess

Offline Michal Janis

• Avast team
Re: Offline Devices re-discovered by Omni Software
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
Hello, team is aware of this issue and is actively working on it. For the time being, try to avoid removing of devices. (In case such device is later reconnected to the router, it will appear multiple times in Omni application.)

Thanks for your report. We will post here when a fix is ready.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
Hi Jess,

I'm not sure what the current status of this is on our side, but the general idea is that you should be able to see devices that were on your network but currently are not (family members currently not at home etc). We keep this list in the cloud and the list of devices gets loaded from that. If I remember correctly there is also some kind of "forget" period after which the devices won't get loaded into the list anymore (and I think it is something between one week and one month, but this is really me remembering some conversation months ago, so take it with a truck of salt).

Filip

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »
Hey Filip,

I've reconnected many of the devices and the list is clear except for a Nintendo Switch that I tried to remove before Michal's post in this thread. I've got it as a duplicate in the list now I think. I'll have to double check the next time one of my kid's friends brings her switch over. It seems that either the other devices fell off after that period of time or that it has otherwise resolved itself.

Jess

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
Hey Filip,

I wanted to give you an update on this. My daughter's friend came over with her Nintendo Switch today. The last "nintendo" device that I thought might have been a duplicate was actually her device. It looks like everything is good at this point and everything has been accounted for.

I'm probably going to make a "Guest" Profile and put all of those types of devices into it just to keep things organized.

Jess

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
Hey Jess,

glad it got sorted out fine :)

Understand the need for the "Guest" profile, but maybe a question here - I guess both Switches need to be on the same network to be able to play together and that's what the girls do, right? Because if not and the Switch of your daughter's friend would be connecting to a "Guest" WiFi (if that's something your networking setup allows), I don't think it would be added to the list of devices at your home.

Filip
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:49:59 PM by Filip Havlicek »

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
Hey Filip,

Well, they don't really need to be on the same network to play together as long as the devices have internet. Neither of them understands the difference between "The Internet" and a LAN anyway lol. I had thought about enabling the Guest network on my router, however, this area is already pretty flooded with WiFi most of the time so I didn't want to add another network that was going to fight for channels.

The Guest profile in Omni seems to work and at least with it, I have easy access to pause network connectivity on guest devices without having to dig through my router's interface. =)

Jess

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
Hi Jess,

alright, as long as you are happy with it :) I think the "seen devices" feature might be changed in the future improving the UX of it, but I don't have any specific information about it at the moment.

Filip

Offline Vojtech Splichal

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
Hi Jess,

FYI Guest WiFi doesn't need another channel, it's only another SSID on same channel.

Vojta

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:55:58 PM »
Hi Jess,

FYI Guest WiFi doesn't need another channel, it's only another SSID on same channel.

Vojta

Hey Vojta,

You know what? I knew that... I don't know why I didn't remember when I made that last post, but I did know it. lol

Jess