Author Topic: Avast 4.7- Can't Load 3prty Skins  (Read 8851 times)

Juztrax

Avast 4.7- Can't Load 3prty Skins
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:17:44 AM »
 ??? I have updated my Avast 4.7 Pro and have tried to install some neww Skins from the Avast website and When they download I get an unknown error.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?
Help would be appriciated most definately needed!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast 4.7- Can't Load 3prty Skins
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:38:15 AM »
I just checked and it is working without a problem for me. (avast pro 4.7.871)
Since you get the error when downloading the skins, I doubt it has anything to do with avast.
Have you emtied you browsers cache before retrying?
Have you tried another browser?
What OS are you using?
What browser(s) are you using?
Using a download manager?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:36:23 PM »
Snap, just downloaded the g5_by_szcraftec.aswcs without problem.

What skins did you try to download ?
Did you get the error before the download completed, what was the exact error message ?

For example the g5_by_szcraftec.aswcs skin if you right click and choose 'save as' or 'save link as' depending on your browser, etc. you can choose the download location rather than the desktop, which on occasion can cause problems (not that I have heard this for the avast skins).

Double click on the file g5_by_szcraftec.aswcs and it should install it or you may have to indicate which program to associate (open) the aswcs extension "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashsimpl.exe"
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Juztrax

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:16:17 AM »
I am running VISTA 5472, Internet Explorer7 , I still have no solution to the problem! Any more advise.
I have tried a couple of different skins.
It used to run fine until I download the new upgrade.
I am running AVAST PRO 4.7

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »
A few questions:
"The new upgrade" of what? avast! or Vista?
Are you saying that all the other skins worked on Vista 5472 with previous builds of avast!, and stopped working after the program update? Did you reinstall avast! (I mean - if you didn't, the skins installed previously should still be there, i.e. there shouldn't be any need to download them again).

So, what are the skins that do work?

When exactly do you get the error - when you click on the skin (to install it), or when starting the Simple User interface subsequently? Or when browsing the skin selection dialog maybe?

Juztrax

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
When it downloads and trys to run automatically, the error is " unknown paramater"
If I try to open up skins from inside 'Avast Simple' , the window which displays the different skins doesnt show the others that I downloaded, it only shows the two that came with the program.
Yes, I have made sure that the downloaded skins are in the skin directory, all is as it should be , but doesnt find them.
Help! :-\

Juztrax

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:18:50 PM »
Ok , I used to have VISTA 5472 and AVAST 4.7. something. All skins worked fine then. I had a magor problem last week with my computer (virus) and lost most of my data. I then did a clean install of VISTA again and had to install all programs again. When I got the AVAST 4.7 Home download It came with skins (silver panel SZC-KDE). Those both work. I then upgraded to AVAST PRO put in the serial code and my system then downloaded the PRO files and updated me to PRO.
Since I install the AVAST Home I have gone to the web page and click on the link to download a skin. It downloads to my computer and automatically tries to run the skin. When this happens I get the error (unknown paramater). I have gotten the other downloaded skins and put them in the SKIN Folder where the (silver panel, SZC-KDE) is kept. If I  open the 'AVAST program simple' and go into MENU then SKINS, the skins WINDOW only shows the  original skins that came with the original download (silver panel), it doesnt show the other skins that I have put in their. SOme of the others are - SZC-KDE, Bionic , G5, Black Vibe.
Have I explained enough detail for you to assist me ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:54:18 PM »
The aswcs file that you download is compressed and needs to be unpacked (as my previous mentioned. Until it is unpacked the skin won't show up in the list as the actual skin is an .asws file, note the missing ' c ' (for compressed), only the .asws files show up in the list.

Quote from: DavidR
Double click on the file g5_by_szcraftec.aswcs and it should install it or you may have to indicate which program to associate (open) the aswcs extension "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashsimpl.exe"
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Juztrax

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »
Guys Im not a complete nuffy. The files are unpacked, they just dont load! :o

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 04:29:55 PM »
Hmm, just tried it on Vista and no problem whatsoever here.... ;)

So, you're saying the *.asws files don't even SHOW in the list (even though they're present in the <avast>\data\skins folder)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Juztrax

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
Thats correct!!!! ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »
How exactly did you unpack the skins, btw?

Juztrax

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
Well they unpack when I try to run them by right click and then running ashsimple2.exe. ashsimple.exe didnt do it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »
ashSimpl2.exe doesn't contain any skin unpacking code (because it doesn't support skins) - so it must have been ashSimple.exe who unpacked the files, but failed to load them afterwards (unless you unpacked them manually using the ashSkPck.exe tool).
Strange... there shouldn't be much difference between the skins. So, what skins do you have in the skin selection list?
What if you download e.g. the old Blue Panel - does the same error occur?

Is there anything in avast! Log Viewer? (in the Error cathegory or above)

Juztrax

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 06:24:14 PM »
Same - "unknown parameter".
I am going to install Pro again see if it fixrs. I just downloaded it again.
What do you think?