Author Topic: False positive ,strange Avast behavior.  (Read 10601 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:False positive ,strange Avast behavior.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 01:21:53 AM »
It seems to be realated to the latest update.I do not believe i have a virus at all (even a friendly one :) )and that it is a false positive.Are we all using 98 here?..or is this affecting other operating systems?
tia me

I'm under XP Home and 4-home (with this morning's update) and nothing unusual so far.  Maybe it's triggered by something on whatever page (Java/Flash/etc.)?

Mike, I think this is a Windows 98 thread and not XP... I always have pstores.exe in Windows 98 and never have into my XP system...

pstores - pstores.exe - Process Information
Process File: pstores or pstores.exe
Process Name: Protected Storage Service
Description: The Microsoft Protected Storage Server (under Win9x/ME) or Protected Storage Service (under WinNT/2000/XP). Protected Storage, in the shape of PSTORES, was introduced with Internet Explorer 4.It is invoked by Microsoft Internet programs such as Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, to securely store a variety of secure and confidential data into the registry, such as Outlook Express passwords, SSL certificates, auto-complete fields (usernames and passwords to enter websites, etc...) and web forms data.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A
(Credits to: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/pstores/)

Hope this help  8)
The best things in life are free.

JuMAZDAj

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »
I wrote it already. Take win98 instalation disc. Find file win98_44.cab. There is pstores.exe inside, so unzip this file and put it into C:\windows\system\. Now Outlook Express works fast and well.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 08:24:31 PM »
It seems to be realated to the latest update.I do not believe i have a virus at all (even a friendly one :) )and that it is a false positive.Are we all using 98 here?..or is this affecting other operating systems?
tia me

I'm under XP Home and 4-home (with this morning's update) and nothing unusual so far.  Maybe it's triggered by something on whatever page (Java/Flash/etc.)?

Mike, I think this is a Windows 98 thread and not XP... I always have pstores.exe in Windows 98 and never have into my XP system...

Hi, Technical -- you're probably right in how the thread later developed, but at the time bassbag had asked if it was affecting other systems besides 98, and I answered accordingly.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 11:01:35 PM »
Mike, you were right! I just want to say that the forum 'teach' us that the problem is on Windows 98. Your help is always wellcome  8)
The best things in life are free.