Author Topic: PUP detection  (Read 3832 times)

Offline candylovergirl

PUP detection
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:19:42 AM »
Avast is detecting 2 files as Potentially Unwanted Program

I know, there is a very few malware out there that can affect macOS
    I know, a PUP detection does not mean that the software is malicious
    I know, I can disable the PUP detection UN-checkig the "Report potentially unwanted programs (PUP)" option   

What I don't know and because I am curios which is the App that Avast is detecting as PUP, the path where the PUP IS, does not give me more information.

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Blobs/63BC92978390A3485E92E1CD49B4C33A160089CC

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Records/22166E55BD6331366B10BB8B6EF306F40B9CC9B2/Resource/AD9756F244ADB931EFDBAF4CE0AEA96D0877CE50-blob

How can I know which App has a relationship with the 2 files above?

Update 1: Apple Store?  :o
Update 2: FP?, I am sure they are  8)

Thanks
Came

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: PUP detection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:29:50 AM »
Hello,
your guess is as good as mine. It seems that appstore uses WebKit framework to display it's GUI and some elements stored in cache are detected. Since the detection is file based, there is little Avast can do to reliably identify the origin of such files, so it does not even try.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline candylovergirl

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:02:15 PM »
Hello,
your guess is as good as mine. It seems that appstore uses WebKit framework to display it's GUI and some elements stored in cache are detected. Since the detection is file based, there is little Avast can do to reliably identify the origin of such files, so it does not even try.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Ok  >:(  >:(

Then Avast is a mess   >:(  >:(

If I want to submit the files to virus lab as FP, and If want to fill out the form I can not because I don't know the Program name

And if I submit it via https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

Then I will never know which App is detected because Avast "do not send replies following file submissions of evaluations"

Let's have this scenario I want to create a bootable backup security of my system now (CCC) those detection will remain for a long time if I don't take any action now or Avast does not help me with my product (I have contact them several times since last Sunday and until now, no support from them via https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/ )

I bought a license it is a paid product, and the only support I am getting is thanks to the kind members of this forum

Finally I am in doubt if is a FP because I submit those files to virus total and Avast and AVG Antivirus is reporting as MacOS:Cyberbyte-D [PUP]

I live in Mexico City does AVAST has a phone number in the USA??? (Not the Avast Premium Tech Support)

I really don't know what do to now  ::)

Thanks
Came

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
Hi candylovergirl, sorry for the confusion. Our note "We do not send replies following file submissions or evaluations." is regarding undetected malware, we actually do respond to false positive reports if you use our web form: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

As for the detection itself, it was a false positive indeed and the detection was disabled on Jul/17/2019. The detected application was CyberByte Antivirus.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
please use https://support.avast.com to contact Avast support team.
This forum is more community driven. It shouldn't be mixed with the official support that you deserve as a customer. You can find lot of answers from Avast's employees however we do answer and help our community in our spare time. It's not our main job. However - we are happy to help if we can.
Quality is also a feature.