Author Topic: This is not implemented at this time, but may be implemented in a future release  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Lt Lemming

I am so sick of reading this in your manuals, webpages, guides, forums etc etc.

Can I export settings like exclusions from one console and import them into another?

This is not implemented at this time, but may be implemented in a future release.

Source: https://kb.support.business.avast.com/GetPublicArticle?title=Avast-Business-On-premise-FAQ

For Avast to release a product this incomplete is just ridiculous and frankly embarrassing. It seems every time I go to check for something, which in an enterprise piece of software should be a standard feature, I come across this statement and just hit a brick wall.

Avast business should NOT have been released in such an unfinished, poorly supported and incomplete state.

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
For what's Now In Development, Future Product Roadmap, and to Submit Idea, please visit https://portal.productboard.com/afb/tabs/1-now-in-development
If enough people request this feature, our development/production team may consider/prioritize adding/changing this function in a future update.
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support

Offline Lt Lemming

For what's Now In Development, Future Product Roadmap, and to Submit Idea, please visit https://portal.productboard.com/afb/tabs/1-now-in-development
If enough people request this feature, our development/production team may consider/prioritize adding/changing this function in a future update.

*GASP* What a wonderfully helpful answer!....

Oh wait... no it's not.

I'm sorry but nearly every time I've raised an issue that's all I get back.

This is how I would expect an open source or indie project to be run, not something run by a company with nearly a billion dollars in revenue last year.

You've got all this money and have been running for 31 years, you'd think by now you'd know what is required in this sort of situation and would be able to get enough developers onto the project to finish it in a reasonable time frame, but instead all these things that would be considered normal for a business grade product (proxy traversal, assignable roles, config import/export, multiple mirrors, documentation!) are constantly marked as "to be implemented" if they even get a mention anywhere.

At the top of this forum there's a stickied post that says "No more secrets!"... Well that's great, but you have two posts in their alone that are unanswered and asking simple questions.

Oh and to top it all off, I logged a helpdesk ticket at the same time as I started this thread, to see if there was some undocumented way of doing this... and 24 hours later I receive an email advising me that you're struggling under the load at the moment.

Sounds to me like someone fired too many people and now the customers are paying the price for it.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Avast-Software-RVW18373760.htm

I for one sure as hell won't ever be recommending Avast in a business environment in the future.

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team

*GASP* What a wonderfully helpful answer!....

Oh wait... no it's not.

I'm sorry but nearly every time I've raised an issue that's all I get back.

This is how I would expect an open source or indie project to be run, not something run by a company with nearly a billion dollars in revenue last year.

You've got all this money and have been running for 31 years, you'd think by now you'd know what is required in this sort of situation and would be able to get enough developers onto the project to finish it in a reasonable time frame, but instead all these things that would be considered normal for a business grade product (proxy traversal, assignable roles, config import/export, multiple mirrors, documentation!) are constantly marked as "to be implemented" if they even get a mention anywhere.

At the top of this forum there's a stickied post that says "No more secrets!"... Well that's great, but you have two posts in their alone that are unanswered and asking simple questions.

Oh and to top it all off, I logged a helpdesk ticket at the same time as I started this thread, to see if there was some undocumented way of doing this... and 24 hours later I receive an email advising me that you're struggling under the load at the moment.

Sounds to me like someone fired too many people and now the customers are paying the price for it.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Avast-Software-RVW18373760.htm

I for one sure as hell won't ever be recommending Avast in a business environment in the future.

You can export/import settings if you're migrating from the SOA/AEA Consoles to the cloud/on-premise console.

However, for exporting/importing settings from/to the cloud/on-premise console, someone had opened an internal ticket asking for this feature request a while back, but due to lack of interest from other customers/partners/resellers, it was put on the backburner. I reopened the ticket and copied the link of this forum post into the ticket, but if no one else expresses interest in this feature request, it will be placed on the backburner again in favor other features requested by more customers/partners/resellers. The ticket number is CBC-3435 and you may inquire about its status from our Avast Business technical support at any time. Our developers and production team prioritizes feature requests by how many customers/partners/resellers are requesting the feature. The more requests for a feature, the higher it's prioritized.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:04:44 PM by mickey.b »
- Mickey B.

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Where I can see the ticket CBC-3435 (I'm very interested in this feature request) and others sent by more customers/partners/resellers or even the "ideas" I have sent in the past and their status?

There is not a place where customers/partners/resellers can see the tickets from others customers/partners/resellers and vote for them. Only few proposals arrives to the Portal and mosts of "ideas" sent are unknown for the rest of customers/partners/resellers.

Maybe AVAST Software could use this forum, and the feature of "poll" or a subforum, to let customers/partners/resellers request new features and fixes.

Offline Lt Lemming

You can export/import settings if you're migrating from the SOA/AEA Consoles to the cloud/on-premise console.

I did that when I migrated from the old console in this office to the new console.

Half our stuff broke because the settings don't work the same in both applications and so what previously worked for stopping our devs complaining about the AV software now no longer worked.

I've now put about 3 months work into making sure our devs are happy and things work. Copying those settings manually from one console to the other (which I've now had to do) took me about 2 hours to complete.

This is wasted time for me. All the data is on one system. There is NO good reason why I should not be able to simply copy said data from one system to the other.

However, for exporting/importing settings from/to the cloud/on-premise console, someone had opened an internal ticket asking for this feature request a while back, but due to lack of interest from other customers/partners/resellers, it was put on the backburner.

And it's this exact attitude that I find so problematic with this. This is not a game or a piece of software being developed by some indie company or a bunch of spirited enthusiasts. It is a piece of software being developed by a multi-million dollar company with 1800 employees.

Not to mention this is something that had I known this was not possible at the time of purchasing the license. I, naively its seems, assumed it would be in a piece of enterprise software. We would have switched to a different product at that time.

Which considering the multiple egregious issues we've had with Avast are now looking to do.

There are so many reasons why this is wanted/needed in a business environment that it's astounding to me that this hasn't just been done as a de rigueur feature.

I reopened the ticket and copied the link of this forum post into the ticket, but if no one else expresses interest in this feature request, it will be placed on the backburner again in favor other features requested by more customers/partners/resellers.

How are people supposed to know they have to ask for this? Until you need it, it's not something you go looking for and when you need it, you need it right the hell now, not in some nebulous future time frame.

You've clearly had people ask for the feature, and it's a feature that makes a lot of sense to have so why is that simply not enough to go "Ok lets implement this feature".

You even have it in the end user client ffs! So why is it not a thing in the console? (https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/15)

The ticket number is CBC-3435 and you may inquire about its status from our Avast Business technical support at any time.

Great, so every time I want to check on whether or not it's been implemented I have to find the ticket number and email the helpdesk and wait a nebulous period of time for a response?

As other people have mentioned in this thread, and elsewhere on this forum. Why does the feature page not list all feature requests and allows us to vote up/down on them?

If you're going to go this route, then go the whole hog and actually let your users decide on what gets implemented, instead of having the requests filtered by some internal person/team and then giving us the small selection of things you have.

There's at least three things I've mentioned in this forum that should be on there as feature requests (and I'd very surprised if someone else hasn't requested the multiple times)... but there's only one of those three listed on the feature request page.

Our developers and production team prioritizes feature requests by how many customers/partners/resellers are requesting the feature. The more requests for a feature, the higher it's prioritized.

Yes but that only works if people KNOW they need to request said feature, as I've already said if you don't need it you don't go looking for it, and when you do need it... It's because you need it now, not in some nebulous future time frame.

I am not suggesting that you need to support every feature that is requested, but something as basic and low level as being table to import/export configurations should be something that in my humble opinion should have been included from day 1.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:32:46 AM by Lt Lemming »

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
Where I can see the ticket CBC-3435 (I'm very interested in this feature request) and others sent by more customers/partners/resellers or even the "ideas" I have sent in the past and their status?
There is not a place where customers/partners/resellers can see the tickets from others customers/partners/resellers and vote for them. Only few proposals arrives to the Portal and mosts of "ideas" sent are unknown for the rest of customers/partners/resellers.
Maybe AVAST Software could use this forum, and the feature of "poll" or a subforum, to let customers/partners/resellers request new features and fixes.

These tickets are in our internal system (currently only accessible by Avast employees). You can Submit Idea at...

How are people supposed to know they have to ask for this? Until you need it, it's not something you go looking for and when you need it, you need it right the hell now, not in some nebulous future time frame.
You've clearly had people ask for the feature, and it's a feature that makes a lot of sense to have so why is that simply not enough to go "Ok lets implement this feature".
You even have it in the end user client ffs! So why is it not a thing in the console? (https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/15)

When other customers/partners/resellers report a known bug issue or request a feature, they are added to the ticket, and the ticket includes a counter that tracks how many have either reported the bug or asking for a feature. Because our development/production teams constantly work on fixing bugs and adding features, they have to prioritize what it most important using the counter mentioned above. Since Infratech has expressed interest in this feature, I also added them to the ticket.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:14:21 PM by mickey.b »
- Mickey B.

Offline Lt Lemming

When other customers/partners/resellers report a known bug issue or request a feature, they are added to the ticket, and the ticket includes a counter that tracks how many have either reported the bug or asking for a feature. Because our development/production teams constantly work on fixing bugs and adding features, they have to prioritize what it most important using the counter mentioned above. Since Infratech has expressed interest in this feature, I also added them to the ticket.

That doesn't actually answer the question I asked.

Basically all it says is "Until a customer needs this feature they won't know it doesn't exist and all we'll do at that point is add them to an invisible internal counter"

So again... How is a customer supposed to know that they need to request this feature before they need it?

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
That doesn't actually answer the question I asked.
Basically all it says is "Until a customer needs this feature they won't know it doesn't exist and all we'll do at that point is add them to an invisible internal counter"
So again... How is a customer supposed to know that they need to request this feature before they need it?

When we receive feature requests, we direct them to Submit Idea at...
- Mickey B.