Author Topic: avast!'s advertisement popup unnecessarily exposed a streamer  (Read 12694 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
avast!'s advertisement popup unnecessarily exposed a streamer
« on: August 02, 2019, 07:29:25 AM »
So it finally happened. The thing we were saying is questionable practice from the beginning has finally come to a point where it unnecessarily exposed the user.

Some streamer had his IP broadcasted to all the viewers because avast!'s popup displaying his IP jumped into the stream, being visible to everyone on it at that moment. While IP itself is a semi public thing, it's only public to servers you're connecting to. Having it public just like that can potentially be abused which is just not cool and being done by a software that was suppose to keep you safer makes it even worse.

LINK TO ORIGINAL POST:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/cku7qp/thanks_for_sharing_my_ip_with_the_world_while
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: avast!'s advertisement popup unnecessarily exposed a streamer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
All those 'privacy issue' popups are dumb.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
I've escalated this on the developer channel as this is unacceptable imo.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
I have never liked them, they are dumb not smart.

The only reason they are there is because Avast is within my system and everything is filtered through it.  So it should know my bloody IP, it would be a totally different matter if it was able to do this outside of my system, where it could be more serious and considered hacking.

Avast has a privileged position being installed on my system and this is just abusing that position trying to give me a headache so it can sell me an aspirin.  It just gives the user the feeling that Avast is looking over their shoulder at everything I/we do as a sales opportunity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Years ago Avast didn't popup scare tactics that I remember with the latest ads, its getting to the point of way over the top in my opinion---From this one your ip address is visible,  to the webcam might be spying on you,   and hundreds of others that popup occasionally,  to Notification of Avast Premium for 6 months or whatever the darn notification is

Avast has had the privilege of being installed since 2006 on household systems,  but only a matter of time it will get to a point where it's way too much, and force even longtime users to possibly give up on using it. 

Probably why a lot of other tech forums when i posted on PC issues before in the past, that was probably unrelated to Avast--like my missing Temporary internet files location that I posted about a bit here and another forum, first thing in the reply was,  what Antivirus you running, I replied Avast 19.5 at the time, and next reply was to dump Avast, and just use Defender.     ((I didn't dump Avast yet, fixed that issue with a clean windows 10 install in the end))   
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
If it really has to do this, it should just say "your IP is exposed" and not actually show it. Normies don't know the IP address anyway so it doesn't matter whether you say the real one, say none or just make something up.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
If it really has to do this, it should just say "your IP is exposed" and not actually show it. Normies don't know the IP address anyway so it doesn't matter whether you say the real one, say none or just make something up.

Nothing should be shown.
Making stuff up only decreases Credibility.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »

Nothing should be shown.

+1

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 06:39:37 PM »

Nothing should be shown.

Well, we've argued their marketing methods before and nothing has changed. Coz they just don't care apparently. Changing display of IP to just saying it is exposed would be a start.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »

Nothing should be shown.

Well, we've argued their marketing methods before and nothing has changed. Coz they just don't care apparently. Changing display of IP to just saying it is exposed would be a start.

That's true, nothing has changed.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
Who knows if anything will change at this point, it's been the same ad for a while now with showing the IP addy at times.     Whats it gonna take for them to change the ad to just say  Your IP Address is exposed, without showing the actual IP,  sure most users probably don't even know there IP, 

But  imagine if someones doing a presentation,  or on a video call with skype and suddenly that popup comes up showing the IP

I know developers wanna make money by having people purchase parts of Avast, or upgrade to Premium version, but where to draw the line with the annoying popups,  bad enough notifications come in for 6 month Premium upgrade or whatever the heck it is,  I just dismiss it usually

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »
marketing methods will not change as long as revenue goes up, so the annoying marketing popups will continue

=======================================================
.....our goal is to become the world’s no. 1 security company in terms of revenue,” added Steckler.
https://press.avast.com/record-revenue-puts-avast-in-second-among-security-industry-leaders

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 11:47:25 PM »
marketing methods will not change as long as revenue goes up, so the annoying marketing popups will continue

.....our goal is to become the world’s no. 1 security company in terms of revenue,” added Steckler.
https://press.avast.com/record-revenue-puts-avast-in-second-among-security-industry-leaders
Vince may not be the boss any more but I'm sure the stockholders expect nothing less from
Mr Vlcek.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 12:02:51 AM »
Sometimes the popup shows your location. That could be just as dangerous. There's a lot of weirdos out there.

Or in my case it shows me what it thinks is my location, or IP. To scare me into their VPN service. Well, I'm already behind a VPN. A much more capable one even. With actual proven credibility in court. So none of those 'threats' are even remotely correct or problematic. Again; the popups are just dumb.

It can be difficult for a lay person to distinguish between real alerts and these scare tactics. It is a hassle to teach familiy members to ignore these, without them ignoring every legit alert to. So I get calls. Like yesterday when the main screen popped up at boot. Including the white part on the bottom with the 'privacy issues'. I got called. Had to figure out what was going on. Then I turned on my own PC and got the same screen. Sigh.

This difficulty is of course exactly why Avast does this. Even if just 1% bites, that is a win. However it is precisely this annoying behavior that leads me to advise everybody I know not to encourage it by buying an Avast product.  A catch 22. The more pushing, the more I advise against spending money at Avast. Sadly, other free AV clients have also become more and more pushy. So i guess suffering the annoyances is the new normal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:09:25 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 01:09:58 AM »
So i guess suffering the annoyances is the new normal.

No it is not.

There is BitDefender free , Kaspersky Free no advertising and more potent than Avast!

So, why suffer for nothing????