Author Topic: Avast Business Antivirus - block e-mail from my server to gmail  (Read 10317 times)

Offline ALEXANDRU40

For several days, sending emails to gmail (only gmail) has stopped working from our exchange server, the error message received "550 No SMTP server defined. Use real server address instead of 127.0.0.1 in your account." I mention that until few days ago it worked.
I tried to change the server settings, but without success, until I noticed that if I disable the antivirus, it works without problems. What anti-virus setting blocks my email? I tried to stop only the "mail shield", but it still doesn't work.

This product is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with Exchange Server 2010.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
Re: Avast Business Antivirus - block e-mail from my server to gmail
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
For several days, sending emails to gmail (only gmail) has stopped working from our exchange server, the error message received "550 No SMTP server defined. Use real server address instead of 127.0.0.1 in your account." I mention that until few days ago it worked.
I tried to change the server settings, but without success, until I noticed that if I disable the antivirus, it works without problems. What anti-virus setting blocks my email? I tried to stop only the "mail shield", but it still doesn't work.

This product is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with Exchange Server 2010.

We have been seeing a lot of these cases lately, and so far, what's been working for most of our customers have been updating their Exchange servers. You don't have to upgrade them to a newer version, but simply installing all of the latest/newest updates for your current version seems to resolve this issue.
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support

Offline Karonaway

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:50 PM »
You're incorrect about the updates.  I have two clients who run SBS 2011 which runs Exchange 2010.  The Exchange Server is up to date (for being a 2010 Exchange Server).   The clients are having the same problem and only Gmail is bouncing back with No SMTP Server defined.  I tried disabling parts of the Exchange Module, all of the Module, parts of Email module, all of the Email module.  I looked up the knowledge base and added IP under the exceptions in Trouble Shooting.  Nothing worked until I uninstalled AVAST all together which i am not happy about.  My subscription is coming due in 8 days and so i won't be renewing if i can't use it.

Offline Karonaway

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:46:32 PM »
If anyone is having this problem please reply to this thread so that AVAST will fix the problem.  This isn't a problem due to lack of updates

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »
You're incorrect about the updates.  I have two clients who run SBS 2011 which runs Exchange 2010.  The Exchange Server is up to date (for being a 2010 Exchange Server).   The clients are having the same problem and only Gmail is bouncing back with No SMTP Server defined.  I tried disabling parts of the Exchange Module, all of the Module, parts of Email module, all of the Email module.  I looked up the knowledge base and added IP under the exceptions in Trouble Shooting.  Nothing worked until I uninstalled AVAST all together which i am not happy about.  My subscription is coming due in 8 days and so i won't be renewing if i can't use it.

If updates didn't resolve the issue, you may need to create a case at Avast Business Support. Please provide information such as what Avast Business Antivirus product you have, and the email address your Avast Business Antivirus product is registered to, and if you are using the Cloud Management (web) Console at https://business.avast.com/ or the Business Management (on-premise) Console.

We also may request log files after you create the case. Please see How To Submit Avast Business Log Files for more information.
- Mickey B.

Offline kel2

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »
Hi sbs2011 and exchange here and having same problem cant send to gmail.

Hope there is a fix.

Kel

Offline kel2

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
Found this ... Why has it been working for so long and now stopped ...

https://kb.support.business.avast.com/GetPublicArticle?title=No-SMTP-Server-Defined-Error-BAV#

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »
Found this ... Why has it been working for so long and now stopped ...
https://kb.support.business.avast.com/GetPublicArticle?title=No-SMTP-Server-Defined-Error-BAV#

I'm unsure how to answer your question, but like the Avast Firewall, both the Mail Shield and the Anti-spam components are designed only for workstations and not mail servers. I've heard our development/production team are working on a permanent solution that will automatically remove these components if the Avast installation detects Exchange on the server.
- Mickey B.

Offline kel2

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
Hi

Notice says uninstall web shield and mail shield . Your reply says  Mail Shield and the Anti-spam.

Can I reinstall Web shield? 

kel

Offline Onyxtacular

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »
If anyone is having this problem please reply to this thread so that AVAST will fix the problem.  This isn't a problem due to lack of updates

Have the same problem. 

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
Hi
Notice says uninstall web shield and mail shield . Your reply says  Mail Shield and the Anti-spam.
Can I reinstall Web shield? 
kel
I apologize for the discrepancies, but you may wish to reinstall the Web Shield and uninstall both the Mail Shield and Anti-spam components on your Exchange server. Let us know if you continue to experience issues.
Have the same problem. 

Try uninstalling both the Mail Shield and Anti-spam components in Avast on your Exchange server. Let us know if this did not resolve your issue.
- Mickey B.

Offline kel2

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
As an update,

Uninstalling the mail shield and spam shield on exchange server got my mail flow back working. Once I figured out how to do it!

Thanks for your help

Kel

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
As an update,

Uninstalling the mail shield and spam shield on exchange server got my mail flow back working. Once I figured out how to do it!

Thanks for your help

Kel

Good, I'm glad that worked! Hopefully, this issue will be resolved when our development/production team adds Exchange detection and automatically disables the Mail Shield and Anti-spam components during installations.
- Mickey B.