Author Topic: I lost all my bookmarks and extensions WHAT NOW  (Read 3185 times)

Offline KMS__

I lost all my bookmarks and extensions WHAT NOW
« on: August 15, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
 I recently decided to try the security browser (trial version I believe - and a huge error from my part as well) when next thing I know google chrome is back to its factory reset settings?? when I did NOT even give it permission to do what it did. Two years worth of bookmarks gone, no extensions either....I tried to import the bookmarks again but it only allowed me to get those from Edge and Firefox, both which I barely use and are completely useless to me! I also tried looking into the ProgramData folder for the bookmarks.bak file but the first time I did, it came up with nothing. its like it was removed completely from the system (which probably was), and only after I imported a couple tabs I had saved from Edge, did a new bookmark.bak appeared....

Honestly, I would LOVE to know if there is a miracle to this situation or if anyone has experienced this as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:11:00 PM by KMS__ »

Offline Adam H

• Quality Assurance Software Tester
  • Avast team
Re: I lost all my bookmarks and extensions WHAT NOW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Hello, I'm sorry to hear, that our browser made you (even indirectly) some troubles, can you please explain, what has exactly happened? I understand, that you've been using Chrome for a while and you wanted to try Avast Secure Browser, but I don't get the part with the data reset, did chrome reset itself for no reason? Did you try to import bookmarks from chrome to our browser before the reset?

If your bookmarks are gone and you can't find them in any browser installed, only thing I can suggest you is to stop immediately saving ANY data on your disk and try to use some file recovery program, which would scan your disk for deleted files (if a file is deleted, system just marks it location as free, but physically the data are still there. These file recovery programs scans space marked as free, if it contains some deleted data you need. As longer the data are gone, the lower chance is to be able to recover them since any new file could override the data). At my system I have found my Chrome bookmarks in this path:
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

Thank you so much for being with us.
Adam H

Offline Gruneichtime

Re: I lost all my bookmarks and extensions WHAT NOW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »
Update:  After doing a restore on my Win10, I was then able to open my Avast Antivirus which I could not even open before doing the restore, but the Avast Secure Browser still will not open.  I have tried everything I can think of.  I wish there was a repair option on the browser like there is in the Avast Antivirus module.

Good idea Adam, I am so glad I did a search and seen your reply to KMS.  I kinda had the same thing just happen, but on my end Avast completely locked up.  Just froze.  I had this happen two times before today.  There was an update from Microsoft for Win10 and low and behold something got messed up......I should not be surprised....I have re-installed Avast 2 times earlier when this happened and never lost my bookmarks, but this time I did.  I was hoping someone could tell me where they are stored when you uninstall Avast?  I will try your idea first if that does not work, I'll come back here.  Hopefully KMS is able to resolve the problem with a restore.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:09:29 PM by Gruneichtime »