Author Topic: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)  (Read 94080 times)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Isn't it curious how there isn't any response from Avast all of a sudden?  ???

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
Hi guys, this recent separation of data-sharing consents seems to be upsetting some members of the community so we decided to amend the way the new checkboxes in settings behaves. Thanks for expressing your opinions - that's why we are actually discussing this stuff with you here.

For those users who previously had this option Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analytics turned OFF,
BOTH new checkboxes that came into existence after splitting the consents would be turned OFF  (not just the business/marketing one as up until now).
- Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage
- Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis and trends, business and marketing

Version 19.7 is not spread yet, only few percents of users have it. The absolute majority of users would be migrated next week and by then the fix will be applied.

And as said before, all new users/installs are explicitly made aware of the usage data tracking - we always were and we always will be transparent about the data collection in the post-install flow.

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
As this is the official topic for this update, I'd like to restate my unhappiness that I expressed in the unofficial thread last night. In this version nothing has been done about either the specific issue of the firewall blocking the inbuilt Windows 10 Miracast screen casting feature, or the more general issue of ad hoc networks...

Hi, thanks for flagging, we are looking into this.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
Hi guys, this recent separation of data-sharing consents seems to be upsetting some members of the community

The separation isn't what upsets us. It is the fact that denied consent is not respected. And that you then lied about here. Explicitly. I would like you to address your untruthfulness and how you, and Avast, will strive to do better in the future.

Thanks for expressing your opinions - that's why we are actually discussing this stuff with you here.

We are only discussing things because I flagged Avasts shady behavior. Avast kept quiet and then had you lie when it could not be ignored anymore.

Version 19.7 is not spread yet, only few percents of users have it. The absolute majority of users would be migrated next week and by then the fix will be applied.

So this means a fix isn't in place yet, and all installs and upgrades currently happening will have this checkbox still checked despite user privacy choices?  :o

And as said before, all new users/installs are explicitly made aware of the usage data tracking - we always were and we always will be transparent about the data collection in the post-install flow.

Existing installs however will be kept blissfully ignorant about how Avast does not respect their privacy choices when a change like this is rolled out. Nice!  ::)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
Hi guys, this recent separation of data-sharing consents seems to be upsetting some members of the community so we decided to amend the way the new checkboxes in settings behaves. Thanks for expressing your opinions - that's why we are actually discussing this stuff with you here.

For those users who previously had this option Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analytics turned OFF,
BOTH new checkboxes that came into existence after splitting the consents would be turned OFF  (not just the business/marketing one as up until now).
- Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage
- Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis and trends, business and marketing

@benko,
Will the "Learn more..." screen linked to Data settings (or is it Personal Privacy settings) also going to be updated at same time, to explain the function of the tick boxes. Currently this help screen is out of date.
Ref my post: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228892.msg1515887#msg1515887

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
The separation isn't what upsets us. It is the fact that denied consent is not respected. And that you then lied about here. Explicitly. I would like you to address your untruthfulness and how you, and Avast, will strive to do better in the future...

I was having an open discussion with all of you from the very beginning and I did not lie once. Please read the conversation again if needed. From the very beginning, I acknowledged that for the business/marketing data-sharing we mirrored the previous user choice, for program usage (the newly separated one) we went for ON for default for everyone. Several people in the discussion complained that data sharing should be strictly in opt-in mode and how shady and evasive Avast is about it - for those, I listed the screen that shows how do we very openly inform people about data tracking during installation (fresh installs - that's where the misunderstanding might be coming from. I never claimed you should have seen that screen while updating the AV.) And then I basically said you are making a fair point about current users and we are amending the way the new data-consent checkbox behaves. The fix will be applied as soon as possible, even before the migration begins. And yet it seems there's no way of pleasing you and you are determined to call me a liar till the end of days - so I will park it here. Cheers :)

Offline reddyshyam

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »
Just received an update which required reboot and all good after reboot.

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 04:30:46 PM »
Will the "Learn more..." screen linked to Data settings (or is it Personal Privacy settings) also going to be updated at same time, to explain the function of the tick boxes. Currently this help screen is out of date. Ref my post: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228892.msg1515887#msg1515887

Yep, it is being worked on and we will update this soon as well.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »
I was having an open discussion with all of you from the very beginning and I did not lie once.

You did lie. I will quote you:

Again - if you opted out of this any time before, we are respecting your very decision even after splitting the consent in settings in this latest version.

This is patently untrue. As has been demonstrated by several users.

That you do not admit this is very troubling. It means you are not trustworthy in your communication with users here on the forum. We cannot be sure that what you say is in fact true. The mere fact that Avast will amend what the new checkbox defaults to when the other boxes are unchecked shows your statement was incorrect. I want you to admit that you misinformed us, told an untruth, and will do better in the future. Otherwise why would anyone ever believe anything you say again?

Offline reddyshyam

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
I was having an open discussion with all of you from the very beginning and I did not lie once.

Again - if you opted out of this any time before, we are respecting your very decision even after splitting the consent in settings in this latest version.

That you do not admit this is very troubling. It means you are not trustworthy in your communication with users here on the forum. We cannot be sure that what you say is in fact true. The mere fact that Avast will amend what the new checkbox defaults to when the other boxes are unchecked shows your statement was incorrect. I want you to admit that you misinformed us, told an untruth, and will do better in the future. Otherwise why would anyone ever believe anything you say again?

Hi buddy, please go easy. The point is made, users reading here have made the changes already, new upgrades will be unchecked. I am sure those who upgraded and aren't aware, will be force unchecked with an update.

We are all humans and should allow a little buffer for errors. :)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »
The point is that the error has to be admitted. If Benko truly believes he has done nothing wrong, he had not learned from his mistake. Which means we can expect more such misinformation in the future, making the forum pretty much useless. I want him, and Avast, to do better. As I have said before.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »

Gives us all a break and get over it.....move on!

The Premise that data is safe from collection is fallacious.
If you're on the Internet "all data" is mined regardless of settings.

It appears to me that Avast is willing to engage in discourse around data collection issues, something that in my many years of PC use, is simply not done with any other Security Software. And I've tested and used many different products.
Data Collection is done by every OS ever developed including "all" 3rd party software installations

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
I will either get the admission or I will endeavor to add a disclaimer to all threads he replies in about his posts possibly containing misinformation. And that he doesn't seem to care. If you speak for the company, you strive to make sure your statements are correct. And if you mess it up, which can happen, you readily admit it and promise betterment. You DO NOT downplay it. Unless you want to be known as the guy you can't trust. He can suit himself.

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
Could you comment on why AVG IS beta still tries to connect to analytics.ff.avast.com?
I have turned off all data sharing under Privacy options, yet it still tries to connect to this particular domain??

Various checkboxes in the privacy settings are minimizing what is being sent and shared (to either 3rd party or our proprietary analytics tools) and what can we do with this data (see the user policy). But even though you'd have all checkboxes off - there's no way of cutting loose completely - some data we simply do require in order to function properly.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2019, 06:10:40 PM »
The current situation is that the third checkbox is still created and checked by default after upgrade.

I will check this again in a few days.